AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > The Quiet PC

The Quiet PC Silencing your PC

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th November, 2006, 12:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

Looking for a good powersupply thats QUIET

just as the title says iam looking for a good powersupply that doesn't make a sound nearly.

I have a fan controller and i actually turn all my fans to almost completely off when i go to sleep.

This powersupply is actually going to be for my next build. a top of the line computer.... so.. .what do you guys recommend?
Old 25th November, 2006, 12:42 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

It would be awesome if you could give us the proposed specs of your build, so that we can see how much power you need.

Either that or you could tell us how many watts you want the PSU to supply

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2006, 01:07 AM

just the ususaly.... duel SLI video cards.... Intel Duo processor or Athlon 64bit X2....

2 gigs of ram... probly 2 harddrives running in RAID.... and 2 CD drives. probly 6 Vantec Tornados running on a fancontroller.. should be about it..

and a TV tuner.

on a side note there shouldn't be any Cold cathodes or LED lights...

Last edited by Vash; 25th November, 2006 at 01:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2006, 11:21 AM

I was recommended to the Tagan 480-U22 and its served me well and is quiet - but there is no intake fan inside the case so the other elements of cooling would need to be considered. For a new build I'd be thinking about more headroom, another 100watts.

If you're going to keep the noise down you may need to consider anti-vibration mounts for the Raid drives - two drives of the same type are optimal for speed but gave me all sorts of problems with standing waves making the case vibrate !
Old 25th November, 2006, 11:51 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

That's sound advice, pardon me for asking, but aren't the vantec fans very noisey? Perhaps some low speed 120mm fans would be better suited?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 25th November, 2006, 06:14 PM
AOA Staff

Seasonic are a good choice:
http://www.seasonicusa.com/s12.htm
Old 26th November, 2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
That's sound advice, pardon me for asking, but aren't the vantec fans very noisey? Perhaps some low speed 120mm fans would be better suited?
not when you have a fan controller and you can turn them from full blast to all the way off.
Old 26th November, 2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Seasonic are a good choice:
http://www.seasonicusa.com/s12.htm
is there a website that has its dba? i can't seem to find it, and its not on there homepage.
Old 26th November, 2006, 11:03 PM

Rest assured they are very quiet, around 14dba I do beleive. Bare in mind 12dba is considered silence? I think?
Dba isn't really the right way to measure noise levels, if you can, look for items measured in Sones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 27th November, 2006, 03:35 AM

Another vote for Seasonic. The S12 series in particular. Great build quality and very quiet.
Old 28th November, 2006, 11:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Well 14dba in sones ranges from about 0.3 up to about 0.8 (it varies because of other factors, not just intensity). Think along the lines of an Artic Cooling GPU cooler (if you've ever heard one, which no one has since they're so quiet).

Consider getting case fans from Quiet PC. The Red Wing ones are supposed to be good and are quite cheap (i would have 1 x 120mm at front, 1 on top, 2 at back and 2 on sides, or even just 1 at back and one on side).

But yeah, Seasonics are supposed to be quiet. My hiper PSU is quiet (that's about 15) but seasonics are supposed to be even quieter so yeah, they're essentially silent. If ya have the money, you could even get a Zalman almost passive cooled one (has heatsinks and 1 very quiet fan (about 8dba i think)). (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-009-ZA)

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)

Last edited by skool h8r; 28th November, 2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 29th November, 2006, 12:27 AM
Member/Contributer

IF you are looking for a quiet PC, instead of those tornados, look towards the panaflo series.

and another vote for seasonic here. I have also found my silverstone, and all other silverstone's I have used in builds to be very quiet.
A site to look into is www.jonnyguru.com.

You wont get a completly silent PSU for that rig, but by reducing the noise of your fans, using rubber fan mounts and gaskets like:
http://www.quietpc.com/nz/casefansacc.html#gelmounts and http://www.quietpc.com/nz/casefansacc.html#gaskets
and HDD anti vibration mounts (similar to the gelmounts) should make it alot quieter.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 29th November, 2006, 07:54 AM

The Akasa fans are extremely quiet too.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 30th November, 2006, 05:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongwolf
The Akasa fans are extremely quiet too.
Are you serious? Please tell me you're joking! They're not quiet, they're far from it actually. The Amber series 120mm i have on my HSF is not quiet at all. The AC fans shift more air (look for CFM) and are far quieter (also cheaper). I'm gonna be getting a new cooler in the next few days and it's a decision between a pretty Zalman with a green LED fan, or a better performing AC that's cheaper. I know which i'll be going for.

For making the whole PC quiet, you do need some rubber gromits on all fans. Some HDD Anti-vibration mounts are a good idea as well. Also consider running all the case fans at 7.5v. At this voltage, there's enough air being pumped to be able to keep any component cool (even the HDD's or chipset) but without all the noise. You should also get a passive chipset cooler. The HR-05 SLI from Thermaltake is one of the best, especially if you attach an 80mm fan to it (even running it at 7.5v is sufficient to keep it at almost ambient temperatures).

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 1st December, 2006, 03:12 PM

Maybe I was lucky or something but my 120mm (case fan) Amber series you can't here it even by putting your ear next to the fan. I agree with you with the AC fans they are great.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 1st December, 2006, 09:10 PM

My Akasa 120mm Amber Case Fan is the quietest fan in my rig.....it makes no audible noise whatsoever. My CD Drive easily over powers it.

Don't go for Passively Cooled PSU's. They tend to be unreliable and about as rock steady as jell-o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 1st December, 2006, 10:11 PM
AOA Staff

Akasa stuff seems to be a bit hit and miss, some of their gear is quite good.