AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2003, 06:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

wow the K6 series sucks!

I just put together a K62 500 for some guy who needs a cheap email/internet computer and he cant get it for 2 days so i put one of my hard drives in it and installed windows and put folding on there. the protien wouldnt have been done for 68 HOURS! wtf? My p2 300 outfolds that, the 300 completes a WU in 52 hours, lol
I just turned the box off, its not even worth it. I had a chance to get a bunch of K62 computers for cheap to use for folding boxes, good thing I didnt take the offer
Old 17th January, 2003, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to turbo dan Send a message via Yahoo to turbo dan

I stuck folding on a K6 450 here at work and it has turned in quite a few WU's for me. The biggest problem I have is getting people to leave it on.

It is slow though, the new 13 pointer is going to take 113 hours to complete but I'll take the 13 points anywhere I can get them.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2003, 06:25 PM

I let my router K6-2 450 fold. Its been working on a 400 frame WU for about 2 months now (running a couple of times a day - when I remember to log on and start it folding rather than just leaving it routing). If you're running one of these machines just for folding it isn't really worth it - by the time it completes the unit, it way past its sell by date and has already been distributed to someone else to do. You still get the points but its essentially wasting stanford's time.

My PII 350 laptop used to do small WUs in a couple of days before it died.

Was thinking of seeing how it went on the P75 I built for my sister to chat on msn.

Maybe they should start distributing WUs based on the power of the processor that requests them. That way they could get weaker processors doing more useful work rather than just clocking up the electricity bill and getting points.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2003, 06:36 PM
Member/Contributer

I think it takes at least a P2-233 24/7 to be able to complete a work unit within the time limit...
Old 19th January, 2003, 06:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

FAH is very FPU intensive, and this is precisely where the K6 series badly trailed Intel. Running Performance Test on a computer I built for my cousin with a K6-2+ 450 running at 550, it trailed a P2 400 in FPU performance by 25%. You can make good basic computers with the K6, and K6-2+ computers run pretty smoothly, but they are poor for gaming/folding, even up to and above 600 MHz. I just like to use them to build good basic AT computers for those who need a cheap computer.