AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th April, 2003, 04:59 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

FAH as a service on Win2K, WinXP.

From folding-community:

The F@HSI is a simple install program which was designed to do one thing and one thing only - set up F@H as a service. I originally wrote it for my own use, but it occurred to me it might be helpful to others as well. Unlike Firedaemon, you don't have to install or run any additional programs in the background, plus it allows you to easily replicate a single configuration across multiple computers and installations. It also works with an existing F@H installation; if you already have the console client installed you don't need to reinstall it to run it as a service.

This should be considered beta quality software since I haven't done a lot of testing, but it should run more or less as advertised. I'm really interested to hear any bug reports, comments, suggestions or critisism you might have.

Download the file here.

And here's the readme:

Folding@Home Service Installer v0.2
-----------------------------------

This program was designed to help automate the task of setting up Folding@Home as a Windows service. You can use it regardless of whether or not F@H is already installed.

Version 0.2 of this installer is a beta release and may not function as intended. Please report all bugs as well as questions, comments and suggestions, to me. My contact information:

E-Mail: ythan@taconic.net
AIM: Ythan
MSN: ythan@taconic.net

Instructions
------------

Because Folding@Home's license agreement forbids redistribution of the F@H client, it is not included with this install. Instead, the latest version is automatically downloaded from Stanford's server during the install process. If you would rather use a different version of the client, or if you don't want to have to re-download it every time you run this install, simply get the version of the console you want and place the file "FAH3Console.exe" in the same directory as this install program. If the default name of the console is something else (i.e. FAH3.24-Console-beta2.exe) it will have to be renamed.

You will need administrative privileges to complete the install. Launch "Setup.exe". It will ask you which type of install you want to use. The options are as follows:

Quick Install:
This will install Folding@Home on your computer as a service. It will prompt you for a user name and an optional team number.

Custom Install:
This will install Folding@Home on your computer as a service. It will prompt you for a user name, an optional team number, a machine ID and optional proxy settings.

Automated Install:
This option can be used by system administrators who are installing F@H on multiple computers. It will install Folding@Home as a service, but it won't ask for any configuration information. Instead, place a valid F@H 'client.cfg' in the same directory as the install program and it will take its settings from there.

Existing Install:
This option should be used if you already have the console F@H client installed on your computer. First it will ask you to locate your existing F@H executable. Be sure to select the one called something like "FAH3Console.exe", not the one like "FahCore_65.exe". It will then set that executable up to run as a service. After you do this, remember to remove the F@H Console from your Startup group so it doesn't launch twice!

Latest Version
--------------

You can find the latest version of this program at http://www.shroomery.org/files/fahsi/

Version History
---------------

---
Fixed error where service wouldn't start.
Fixed problem configuring an existing install as a service.
Fixed problems running multiple instances of F@H on one machine.
Improved uninstall routine.
Miscellaneous bug fixes & improvements.

---
Initial beta release.

download

Folding-Community Thread

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th April, 2003, 06:22 AM
AOA Staff

NICE!!