AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th October, 2003, 12:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Help! Firewall blocking FAH

Ebbe and I are both having a problem with Norton Personal Firewall.

When it is enabled, the folding@home client will not connect to send/receive work! Even if the firewall is set to "permit" for the folding@home application.

If we disable the firewall, F@H will connect right away and send/receive work.

What is up with that? Does any of you know a solution, or have any ideas? I've been through the firewall settings, and I can't figure out what is wrong.

We could just uninstall the firewall, but that is not an option...

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers from.. us!
Old 11th October, 2003, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

I've used Norton Personal Firewall in the past and HATED it - it really slows things down on lower-end rigs (dunno which one you're running it on, Allan). I would recommend Zone-Alarm, unless you're using internet connection sharing. BTW, if you're using ICS with Norton, that might have a LOT to do with it. When the firewall's on, do simple pings return an "Error Code 65"? I fixed a friend's rig who was having that sort of problem a couple of days ago.
Old 11th October, 2003, 10:39 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

doesnt it try to send through port 80 (http)

with trend pccillan (2003) firewall u can put in exceptions, incoming outgoing connections, to and from a particular ip adress.

perhaps you could allow internet traffic in general to/from the ip address of the folding at home WU server(s)? on port 80.

should be safe because it will only open port 80, and only from a specified ip adress.

its what i might do. Although i dont have any experience with NAV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2003, 08:40 PM
Member/Contributer

I use it on my 2.35GHz Barton, so slowdown isn't an issue. It isn't used for any ICS.

I have already set it to allow all traffic for F@H, but I haven't entered the FAH IPs, perhaps I should try that when I get home.

Thanks guys