AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd October, 2003, 12:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to riceman2000 Send a message via AIM to riceman2000 Send a message via Yahoo to riceman2000

Talking Cooling experiment

I have just built a new computer and have decided to use the old one as a overclocking experiment. The CPU is an Athlon XP still locked, MSI K7T266 PRO2 motherboard, Radeon 8500 AGP video card and 768M ram(pc2100 I believe). Initial temperature is 55c while folding@home.

3dmark2001 marks are 8292. First I decided to lower the CPU temperature with redirected air conditioning. I have a spare 5000BTU window unit in my garage that I installed in the computer room.

My old case did not have a side vent so I had to cut a hole in the side panel (remember to make it about the size of a 80mm fan and screen so once you are done one can be placed there to aid appearance and ensure it is directly over the CPU).

Block off all but 4 inches of the AC discharge and using 4 inch dryer ducting connect between the side panel and open discharge. Reverse all supply fans on the case to avoid moist air from entering case and this ensures the fans will not be damaged by air flow against them as the AC will overpower them.

Ensure the AC is clean and draining well, you don't want moist dirty air being sprayed on your CPU or motherboard. After initial install and operation temperature on the CPU dropped immediately to 33c and got as low as 31c with 100% CPU usage.

Designs are on the board to make this more attractive and permanent. Plans include a sliding door on the AC to control airflow, insulated 2-4 inch line to minimize temperature loss, and a second connection for the new computer.

More plans will be published as work progresses. Also, Warp1 is experimenting with direct cooling of the CPU fan with freon, plans will be posted on that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Cooling experiment-dsc00028.jpg   Cooling experiment-dsc00030.jpg  

Last edited by Daniel ~; 22nd October, 2003 at 01:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd October, 2003, 01:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Very interesting project! I took the liberty of throwing in a few spaces for readabilty..I hope you don't mind.

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2003, 11:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Interesting indeed!

I once thought of doing something similar(without the AC, just put it out of a window in the winter), but my computer is in the other end of the room than the windows are, so it wouldn't help much and the tube would be in the way...

Thanks for posting, though!