AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2002, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Post Folding Racetrack

This is an extention of a thread started earlier..

I just added a dedicated DELL P4 2Ghz to the folding team..

Started at about 9:40am folding a villin..

So far the bet stands at 12hrs to complete..

And the race is on!!
STEP RIGHT UP!... BETS HERE!! PLACE YER BETS!!
Old 15th January, 2002, 10:44 PM
Banned

Takes my celeron at 1.53ghz 10 hours.

I bet yours will be about 8.5
Old 15th January, 2002, 11:18 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm glad you started a new post (Makes the FAQ less cluttered). Welcome to the team m8. Will the P4 be running 24/7?

My bet is 8 hours.
Old 16th January, 2002, 12:17 AM

I hope.. I may have to put it down for a while to solve some cooling issues..

Dell has some good fans and case cooling (the thing runs silently) but the desk it sits on doesn't allow for good air circulation. It keeps sucking in hot air.. I think i'm gonna pipe it out thru a hole in the back of the desk..
Old 16th January, 2002, 12:27 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'll take credit/responsibility for the 12hour estimate. Remember, it's an expensive P4, not a cheapo celeron.... make sense?

If your confused, Intel's done their job.
(this is not a rant.. just trying poorly to be funny.)

Can you give us an update soon, ItHuNkPuNk?
Old 16th January, 2002, 12:33 AM

I forthwith foretell the future of this fine team, folding filthy fathoms of this fabulous filigree, five times faster than those other forum's *******ers!!!!
Old 16th January, 2002, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Can you give us an update soon, ItHuNkPuNk?
Race Update:

49/100 @ 3:30pm PST

Bets/Estimations:
(in Hrs)

There is still hope for the 8s! I just disabled Norton, some network utilities, and removed the screensaver... System instantly perked up..
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:00 AM

checked the log on my 1.2tbird@1.2 the only one that im running 2.17 on, and it finished a native villen in 8hrs43min i was going to guess lower then that but after looking at your update

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
checked the log on my 1.2tbird@1.2 the only one that im running 2.17 on, and it finished a native villen in 8hrs43min i was going to guess lower then that but after looking at your update
yeah.. strange to me too.. its runnin XP.. could that have something to do with it? Maybe the fact that its a dell and has dell-like stuff running in the background?

I have a feeling that the Norton system protector had a part in this mystery as well.. even my p3 500 has gotten thru 13/100...
I may just have to run this race and take bets again as the first round may have been handicapped..
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk
... five times faster than those other forum's *******ers!!!!
I suppose *******ers should have been folders, right??

When you download the text only console client, be sure to grab FoldMonitor while you're at it.

Fold on!
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan

I suppose *******ers should have been folders, right??

When you download the text only console client, be sure to grab FoldMonitor while you're at it.
yeah yeah... that is.. folders..

Will FoldMonitor help me figure out why the computers resources are all f...olded up?
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:31 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:

yeah.. strange to me too.. its runnin XP.. could that have something to do with it? Maybe the fact that its a dell and has dell-like stuff running in the background?

I have a feeling that the Norton system protector had a part in this mystery as well.. even my p3 500 has gotten thru 13/100...
I may just have to run this race and take bets again as the first round may have been handicapped..
Actually, I didn't realize you would make this a game. A couple of machines I had folding for me for a while were P4's with RDRAM. While they have many wonderful uses, flexing their muscle while folding wasn't one of them.

I have no good reason to explain it but when push comes to shove, a P4@1.7ghz = Cel@1.1ghz for folding, very approximate.

OS would have only minor impact, and would affect processors consistently.
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

Will FoldMonitor help me figure out why the computers resources are all f...olded up?
Nope, FoldMonitor just keeps an eye out on your units, checking how fast they fold, showing a projected finish time, etc. A nice little proggy if you ask me.

What do you have under 'Startup'? Any task managers you could check to see how many "this is not folding related applications so I might as well kill them" programs you have running??
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:39 AM

I didn't realize I would make it a game either.. lol..

Wonder if I put linux on a p4 if it would make better use of the resources? that and I plan on overclocking the DDR on my pet monster..

Its lookin like the 12ers have had experience with a p4 before?
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

P4@1.7ghz = Cel@1.1ghz for folding, very approximate.
Can this be true? Are you SURE there was nothing fishy about that P4? I would have thought they were at least a bit faster than their little brothers even at same speeds.

Old 16th January, 2002, 01:41 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
I didn't realize I would make it a game either.. lol..

Wonder if I put linux on a p4 if it would make better use of the resources? that and I plan on overclocking the DDR on my pet monster..

Its lookin like the 12ers have had experience with a p4 before?
Actually a clean install of Win98SE or WinXP would probably be your best bet. To the best of my knowledge the Linux console still isn't nearly as fast as the Windows based console.
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:41 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:

I don't think that is the case, the other apps you have running in the background will have some impact (tho' minor) on performance. Keep in mind that P4's were designed to do more than only fold.

Remember way back to when PentiumPro first came out... For 16bit apps they stunk compared to equiv Pentiums... This was because they stripped out a lot of 16bit logic to make more room for 32bit logic, (at least that's how I understood it).

Today, no one complains about that.... even tho P2, Cel, Cel2, P3, even Tuallys, were all built off that original Ppro core logic, with the same weakness for 16 bit apps. Quadrupling (and more) the speed negates it, and who really has intensive 16 bit apps any more. This may be the type of logic/attitude that Intel is using for the P4 design. The P4 is "different" than P3. So to assume that the higher clock speed guarantees better performance in ALL scenarios is misleading. While I am not an expert in P4's (and personally don't like them), I tend to believe many of its strengths are being under utilized at the moment.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now .

Last edited by SteveI; 16th January, 2002 at 01:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:48 AM

Quote:

-Keep in mind that P4's were designed to do more than only fold.

-While I am not an expert in P4's (and personally don't like them), I tend to believe many of its strengths are being under utilized at the moment.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now .
WELL!! I'm just gonna have to take this f....olding thing back and get an athlon! hehe.. j/k

I used to be a major IBM/Cyrix fan back in the day, and was quite tempted to get an athlon before this p4, but I couldn't find an amd board that had all the goodies I was looking for in a mobo..
I think the brainwashing by the Blue Man Group had something to do with it as well..
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:51 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Can this be true? Are you SURE there was nothing fishy about that P4? I would have thought they were at least a bit faster than their little brothers even at same speeds.
Sorry, but when I first realized, I was stunned too... Not too many people online were willing to admit the folding performance of their expensive new P4 boxes... but I dug around and realized that my results were actually about average.
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

Sorry, but when I first realized, I was stunned too... Not too many people online were willing to admit the folding performance of their expensive new P4 boxes... but I dug around and realized that my results were actually about average.

Actually, the numbers ItHuNkPuNk gives indicate that his machine will finish in about 13 hours.... stripping out unneeded proggies, running text based, and including the variance between different WUs, and I think 12 hours is pretty accurate.
Yikes dude. I have no reason not to take your word for it, I'm just a bit stunned. I've seriously been thinking about upgrading to a P4, but if all this is true, I will of course go with a 1.2 Tualatin Celly.