AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th March, 2004, 03:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Just out of interest...

Has anyone investigated the differences in power consumption between a PC system sitting Idle all day, one Folding all day, a PC in constant "everyday" use and finally one in constant use "everyday" use and Folding as well?
It would be interesting to see what impact Folding,SETI etc has on power consumption with respect to the increased output of CO2 from power stations and of course the financial cost. Has anyone noticed increased power bills?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2004, 03:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The difference in power consumption in a desktop CPU between idle and full load is usually something on the order of 30 watts (if you are OC'ing, the difference might be more like 70 watts), basically a doubling of the CPU power consumption. In terms of the overall power consumption of the machine, I doubt that this alone would have more than a minor impact on it. Since these clients are very CPU intensive, but don't need all that much RAM or disk, I would tend to suspect that they don't really increase the power consumption in any substantial way.

As with just about everything in life, you have to make a tradeoff. Is the potential benefit (in this case to the entire human race) worth the resource consumption? <I> think so, but that's a decision you have to make for yourself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2004, 03:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
Has anyone noticed increased power bills?
not really. the air conditioner and the TVs use more power than a computer folding all day.

but i always try to turn off lights where they're not needed, so i think that helps balance out the consumption of power by the computer. having one of those 300watt lights run for an hour is basically equal to having a computer run for 3 hours. so the electric bill increases by a couple dollars at most.
Old 9th March, 2004, 03:46 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

If I remember, Lionfish posted it was about $6 a month more for us here in Ca.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 9th March, 2004, 06:34 PM

Allan just moved out of my appartment(ok, its my dads..) so Im expecting to see a decrease in the power bills soon.
Not so much because of the folding, but because of his girlfriend vacuming all the time...
Old 11th March, 2004, 04:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbe Bech
Allan just moved out of my appartment(ok, its my dads..) so Im expecting to see a decrease in the power bills soon.
Not so much because of the folding, but because of his girlfriend vacuming all the time...
LOL! I doubt the vacuum cleaner will ever be in use down there again, now that we've moved out! Sporadically, maybe, but no more than that, right?
Old 11th March, 2004, 07:39 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
but i always try to turn off lights where they're not needed, so i think that helps balance out the consumption of power by the computer. having one of those 300watt lights run for an hour is basically equal to having a computer run for 3 hours. so the electric bill increases by a couple dollars at most.
My setup (including UPS and LCD monitor) consumes around 200W when running idle. That increases to around 214W when running F@H. My TV only needs around 90W!

However, idle and standby are two different things. If a machine goes into power saving, the consumption figures drop even further.
Old 11th March, 2004, 08:21 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
It would be interesting to see what impact Folding,SETI etc has on power consumption with respect to the increased output of CO2 from power stations and of course the financial cost. Has anyone noticed increased power bills?

Laz.
Very roughly every 1 kWh of electricity consumed results in about 0.9 kg of CO2.
Old 11th March, 2004, 08:36 PM
AOA Staff

What we need is a folding farm on a wind power farm!
Old 11th March, 2004, 09:08 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
What we need is a folding farm on a wind power farm!
Nasty horrible inefficient things
Old 13th March, 2004, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
LOL! I doubt the vacuum cleaner will ever be in use down there again, now that we've moved out! Sporadically, maybe, but no more than that, right?
If I only knew a word for less than sporadically...
Old 13th March, 2004, 05:52 AM

Quote:
If I only knew a word for less than sporadically...

semi-annually or seldom come to mind

AOA Team fah
Old 13th March, 2004, 06:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah! bachelorhood! The one time in their lives that men are completely free to be pigs. The way God meant us to be":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th March, 2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman
Thats more like it

Actually Dan, my girlfriend is just about to move in. Should I be worried about the fact that she doenst mind the mess
Old 13th March, 2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thats more like it

Actually Dan, my girlfriend is just about to move in. Should I be worried about the fact that she doenst mind the mess
Old 13th March, 2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thats more like it

Old 13th March, 2004, 01:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:

Are you SURE its a SHE, not a HE in disguise??
Old 13th March, 2004, 05:32 PM
AOA Staff

I find untidy women to be worse than untidy men - just not as smelly! LOL
Old 14th March, 2004, 01:01 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Don't worry. She will clean it up and nest at the same time. Every girlfriend that has lived with me has reordered the whole house in the process of nesting.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 14th March, 2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
Don't worry. She will clean it up and nest at the same time. Every girlfriend that has lived with me has reordered the whole house in the process of nesting.
I think we'd better end this discussion before I change my mind.