AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2004, 01:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Chilliwilli Send a message via MSN to Chilliwilli

Super cool way of reducing the cost of a folding rig.

Just saw this article about how to make a bootable Linux kernel ramdisk image that can be servered up over the network to boot a machine with no HD. You can configure the kernel as you please and have your own choice of software on the ramdisk (fah client!) The article suggests have a gig of ram but for folding you could easily get away with way way less. I.e. 64mb. (who know's maybe even 32mb)

http://projects.gasperino.org/howtos...isk_howto.html

All you need to create a leet folding rig now is mobo, cpu, memory, netcard and PSU. (case if you must). I think I'll give this a try as soon as I get a moment. Is anyone already doing this or anything similar?
Old 5th April, 2004, 03:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

Started planning it out, but actually all u are saving is the hard drive price. Most people are throwing away anything less than 10G and all u need for Windows folding is about 1.5 G, I just ended up putting small hard drives in them. Most of my dedicated folders are REALLY slow due to sharing IDE cables between ancient hard drives and old CDROMs,

Processors are fast enough though, as everything is overclocked!

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2004, 04:47 PM

True true.. but there's power and noise savings too.. plus upgrade the ramdisk image on the boot server and you've automatically upgraded all your boxes... but most importantly.. it's Uber leet!
Old 5th April, 2004, 05:33 PM

LOL, agreed. I just had to much learnin' to do. Linux newbie + zero experience networking. Not afraid to learn new things, just decided to take 1 thing at a time

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2004, 06:22 PM

http://www.amastore.com/y2spatx20pin.html or http://www.pricewatch.com/1/213/2115-3.htm (i'm sure this could be found/made cheaper)
This might interest anyone making folding rigs... Double up on PSUs.. Using this you could power two mobos from one PSU.

With a bit of careful maneuvering you cold have two boards in one case (read home made box arrangement) reducing the expense on both CPUs and cases.

Now we've elimintated HD, 1/2 a case and 1/2 a PSU. Anybody see any other ways to reduce cost?
Old 5th April, 2004, 08:35 PM

I made mine from new egg refurbs. The moboards were gigabyte with onboard ethernet + VGA video ($39), chips were refurb xp 1800's ($33 I think) P/S was fortron 350 watt ($20) RAM was 128M PC2100 ($20) the rest was left overs (cdrom's and hard drives), all mounted in cardboard boxes (got that idea from Allen) All the prices included shipping (another new egg feature that I love).

I know this isnt what your getting at, but still not too bad a price ( $120 roughly) for 2 gig of AMD folding power. Plus allows for overclocking, important for me as I gain 300-500 Mhz per chip! Booting up from CDROM, wasnt sure how to overclock.

But it would be a nice achievement and something to be proud of !! Go for it!

Bill

AOA Team fah

Old 5th April, 2004, 11:05 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliwilli
http://www.amastore.com/y2spatx20pin.html or http://www.pricewatch.com/1/213/2115-3.htm (i'm sure this could be found/made cheaper)
This might interest anyone making folding rigs... Double up on PSUs.. Using this you could power two mobos from one PSU.

With a bit of careful maneuvering you cold have two boards in one case (read home made box arrangement) reducing the expense on both CPUs and cases.

Now we've elimintated HD, 1/2 a case and 1/2 a PSU. Anybody see any other ways to reduce cost?
You could get rid of the case. Use a cardboard box or if you want to be fancy, make something in woodshop from scrap wood to hold nothing but a bunch of mobos and PSUs.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 6th April, 2004, 09:04 AM

Are there any mobos with built in LAN that can boot from the onboard LAN socket?
Old 6th April, 2004, 01:26 PM

most now support this feature. Lan Boot Rom in
BIOS. I believe this is what you are referring to.
I haven't tried it but have been thinking along
those lines. time and space are slowing me down.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th April, 2004, 07:17 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Are there any mobos with built in LAN that can boot from the onboard LAN socket?
Are you looking for a new board or a second hand one?
Old 10th April, 2004, 07:49 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Just saw this article about how to make a bootable Linux kernel ramdisk image that can be servered up over the network to boot a machine with no HD. You can configure the kernel as you please and have your own choice of software on the ramdisk (fah client!) The article suggests have a gig of ram but for folding you could easily get away with way way less. I.e. 64mb. (who know's maybe even 32mb)

http://projects.gasperino.org/howtos...isk_howto.html

All you need to create a leet folding rig now is mobo, cpu, memory, netcard and PSU. (case if you must). I think I'll give this a try as soon as I get a moment. Is anyone already doing this or anything similar?
Thanks for the link. I'm still new to the linux world and have been reading here and there. This IS something that I wanted to do so I guess I'm going to have to book mark this post aren't I?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 11th April, 2004, 10:35 AM

danrok: Looking for new boards.. infact let me extend my question.. are there any mobos with builtin dual gigabit networking with PXE (network boot) and wake-on LAN?

robbie: I plan to try this at some point over the next couple of months so I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 11th April, 2004, 01:56 PM
AOA Staff

How about an ETX board?

http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/ip350.htm
Old 11th April, 2004, 05:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Those are specialized industrical single board computers, and tend to be rather more expensive than what we are used to. I don't know if these particular ones fall into that category, but I would be greatly surpised if they don't.

What we need here is a cheap ATX mobo, a cheap case to put it and several of its siblings in, and a fairly large a solid PSU to drive it. I think you guys are on the right track with PXE, although I'm curious why you think you need dual gigabit lan? That seems a bit overkill, don't you think? Boot the thing into DOS and run the DOS console version of the app. You'll need to run the MS networking client (unless you have a DOS Novel client and a Novel server). Or boot the thing into a Linux CLI (you can run the Linux client under a CLI right?). Either way, 100 meg should be more than sufficient, I would think.
Old 11th April, 2004, 07:58 PM
AOA Staff

Does anyone make an ATX board with dual gigabit? I can't see that a cheap board would come with one never mind two.