AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th June, 2004, 08:13 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Hey Gizmo

Is there something you're not telling us?? Your production seems to have taken a fairly major jump
Old 28th June, 2004, 09:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah. Unbeknownst to me, my engineering mate across the hall threw a fit when he discovered that I had the folding client running on several of our development machines. I explained to him that:

1) He can shut off the client any time he is doing testing.
2) The computers are always on and using electricity, even when we aren't testing
3) I had the permission of our manager to do this, and
4) I would break his fingers if messed with the machines again for anything other than testing. (He had removed the client.)

He's normally a pretty good guy, but every once in a while his mind goes wandering in places not trod by mere mortals. When that happens, his reasoning is beyond our ken.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2004, 10:01 PM

If schools would only realize how mutch cpu time there wasting. Computer and tell it to surf the web (I mean study you arnt going to use every possible clock doing that so why not.
Old 28th June, 2004, 10:13 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
4) I would break his fingers if messed with the machines again for anything other than testing. (He had removed the client.)
LOL, the good old tried and trusted negotiation method

Good news.
Old 28th June, 2004, 10:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

A guy i met at the labs i work at was telling me about the uni he went to in new zealand, they were going to buy a supercomputer but realized that they had hundreds of computers on campus as switched on 24/7, hence they now use all the computers together! saved them millions!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2004, 03:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

Hey Gizmo, I was meanin' to post, looks like your gonna try and make me upgrade

J/K, actually glad to see you doing so well. More points for the team and the good of the cause!

P.S. how you liking the Suse 9.1? I still love mine, got my unsupported digital camera working so been playing with GIMP lately. Still need to figure out how to work with my router and get a web page up (DSL was much easier). Also figured out YAST a little better and got many of the professional RPM's and several of the games

Unfortunately, I found out you can not dual boot with Windows with the new kernal (without doing some other technical stuff). Tested with mine and sure enough it dont work. Oh well, they will come out with a fix here shortly I hope, dont switch back to Windows much anymore anyhow

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.

Last edited by warp1; 29th June, 2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old 29th June, 2004, 04:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Still working on some code for a contract job. When I get done with that, I intend to get into my Suse 9.1 installation full force.