AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd September, 2004, 02:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Folding with PCs slower than 233mhz

heres an idea i was thinking about for a while.

what if someone could write a program that could split a single WU between multiple computers? say for example, you have 4 100mhz pcs, all linked through a network, the program sits on one "master PC" and splits it into equal pieces (or almost equal) between itself and the 3 other computers. so it would appear as if you have a single 400mhz machine running.

i dont have the slightest idea on how this could be made to work. but it would be pretty cool if someone could make such a program.

i dont even know if it would be practical or not, much the less worth the time to code the program..

just an idea im throwing out there.
Old 2nd September, 2004, 03:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Not worth the trouble, when you could sell the P1 100MHZs for $50 a peice, and get a P# 600MHz or so, that would be bettwer for folding.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2004, 07:53 AM
Member/Contributer

Stanford are new sending out units without deadlines. You can choose these with the new clients.

This way you can let your slow computer have a unit with no deadline, and just let it work.
Old 2nd September, 2004, 01:10 PM
Member/Contributer

oh, I still think sell the oldies and get a PC that is not quit as old, becuase the 100MHz would take a week to complete a WU.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2004, 02:21 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1

what if someone could write a program that could split a single WU between multiple computers? say for example, you have 4 100mhz pcs, all linked through a network, the program sits on one "master PC" and splits it into equal pieces (or almost equal) between itself and the 3 other computers. so it would appear as if you have a single 400mhz machine running.

is this not the principle behind "super" computers. As i understand it... they tend to be lots and lots of processors networked together?

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd September, 2004, 02:29 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
oh, I still think sell the oldies and get a PC that is not quit as old, becuase the 100MHz would take a week to complete a WU.
I tend to agree with you, from a cost/effective point of view.
Old 2nd September, 2004, 07:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

im not saying that i have 4 P1s (sorry) its just an idea i had. i guess its not practical.
Old 3rd September, 2004, 03:42 AM
Member/Contributer

It was cool, but the thaught of a 500 P1 super computer seems really cool..lol

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd September, 2004, 04:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

From what I understand, thats how "clusters" work. Don't know the first thing about doing it but sure sounds interesting huh RM? Most people I've met that have clusters use modified Linux OS's. Would be an interesting project with alot of learning

Dont worry about the "cost effective" side of things RM, I dont think its practical to buy all the water cooling equipment (or refrigerated water like mine) just to reach a 2 to 5 MHZ overclock either, but sure is FUN. Cost effective - not, worthwhile - DEFINITELY!

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Old 3rd September, 2004, 05:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

That is the premise behind clusters. It is also the premise behind distributed clients such as FAH. What RM is basically talking about, then, is a finer level of granularity in the work division than what is currently being performed by FAH. Doing this would require the FAH client to be quite a bit smarter than it is now, I imagine.