AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14th December, 2004, 09:06 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Angry WU lost

Yesterday I had one WU at 20% done when sudenly the power went down for a second enough to reboot my pc at work and when the F@H started I was sad to see that it started from the beggining. Is there anyway to prevent this except using an UPS???
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2004, 11:02 AM
Member/Contributer

What client are you using? You should be able to set the checkpoint interval, so it wouldn't have to start over if you lose power, but revert to last checkpoint instead.
Old 14th December, 2004, 12:02 PM
Benchmarker

I am using Windows Client v 4.00 on windows 98 and the checkpoint frequency was set in the middle around 15 minutes I think. Anyway it didn't work. I set the freq. now to 3 minutes. I lost not 15 minutes but hours. Hope it'll not happen again. Thanks for the reply Allan.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th December, 2004, 02:44 PM
Member/Contributer

I do think the latest client handles checkpoints better - at least it is worth a shot to avoid the same thing happening again. Grab it over at folding.stanford.edu
Old 14th December, 2004, 04:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Oddly, I've seen this happen on FAT32 partitions... On NTFS, it always seems to pick up and continue. I'm not sure why.

Version 5 may have resolved this, so that is probably your best bet.
Old 14th December, 2004, 04:54 PM
Benchmarker

Once this WU that is in progress is finished I'll go 4 version 5 then! Thank you guys.

Old 14th December, 2004, 04:59 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

With 5.00 and above, you can set it for checkpoint intervals as small as 3 minutes. That means you won't ever lose more than 3 minutes of work.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 14th December, 2004, 05:13 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
With 5.00 and above, you can set it for checkpoint intervals as small as 3 minutes. That means you won't ever lose more than 3 minutes of work.
I believe they implemented this feature in version 4 already. But my experience is that it works better in version 5 though.
Old 14th December, 2004, 06:13 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Once this WU that is in progress is finished I'll go 4 version 5 then! Thank you guys.
You don't have to wait... Copy v5 into the same directory. Once it finishes a step, just stop it and start version 5... It should pick up where it left off.

If you have the graphics version, it may be a bit more involved.
Old 15th December, 2004, 09:44 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
You don't have to wait... Copy v5 into the same directory. Once it finishes a step, just stop it and start version 5... It should pick up where it left off.

If you have the graphics version, it may be a bit more involved.
I think it's the same Steve
Old 15th December, 2004, 11:14 AM
Benchmarker

DOD how are you doing lately? How is your back? I think I'll speak with a friend of mine to include news about team 45 Folding@Home into this web page www.bestgames.ro maybe we make room for some more computers, huh? Is this OK?

Old 15th December, 2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
DOD how are you doing lately? How is your back? I think I'll speak with a friend of mine to include news about team 45 Folding@Home into this web page www.bestgames.ro maybe we make room for some more computers, huh? Is this OK?
]
Thanks for asking Chris.

Back's still dodgy but got one of those orthopaedic chairs this morning which takes the pressure off the lower back. Seems to be pretty good till now.

Now you really shouldn't have to ask if it's okay for additional computers on the team If they want I'm sure they could get a small banner linky as well

Haven't seen any piccies with those badges tho'. How much extra MHz did they give you
Old 15th December, 2004, 01:28 PM
Member/Contributer

Chris - it would be nice if you could talk your friend into promoting our folding team. We would be very pleased to meet your friends here, and have them folding with us for a good cause.
Old 15th December, 2004, 04:24 PM
Benchmarker

I just got off the phone and he said he'll put AOA's Team 45 F@H on the front page. Now we need someone to write about AOA F@H and Team 45. Anyone???

Old 15th December, 2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I just got off the phone and he said he'll put AOA's Team 45 F@H on the front page. Now we need someone to write about AOA F@H and Team 45. Anyone???
Here's a copy of the post I put up at Wolf Gaming when RussianMissile was good enough to give us an invite. We could easily adapt this or add to it to suit, PM me with what he's looking for and we'll sort something out.

Quote:
Firstly thanks to Russian Missile for introducing me to this forum and xxxGiJoe for kindly giving me permission to post what I'm about to put up.

Okay, my name's dod and I'm one of the staff members across at AOA Forums . AOAforums for those who don't know is a hardware site, dedicated to helping those interested in overclocking.

One of your members here, Russian Missile, is also a member there and, like me, is part of our active Folding @ Home team. Some of you will already know what that is but for the benefit of those who don't, here goes.

Folding at home is a distributed computing project helping science simulate the way in which some of our bodies protiens react (fold) under different situations. Problems with the way they fold are believed to be behind illnesses such as Alzheimer's, cancer etc.

Overclocked PC's tend to run fast but a lot of the processors cycles are wasted sitting idle. By installing a small program we help Science by giving them the use of those unused cycles to carry out the research faster. World wide over 300,000 people help.

Thanks for staying I'm getting to the point

Anyway RussianMissile pointed out that a lot of you guys are running fast rigs for gaming and some of you might be interested in helping out with the research when you're not too busy fraggin'. What I’m doing is asking any of you who might be to take a look at the FAQ in this link here

If you’re interested please feel free to join. Only thing I would ask is you join with Team 45 Any questions please feel free to fire away. As I'm based in the UK I'm asleep when many of you are up and about so I'll probably get one of the other guys to check this thread for me later on.
Old 15th December, 2004, 05:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Thank you for taking care of this on behalf of the team dod! I have way too much real life stuff going on at the moment.

And an even bigger THANKS to you Chris!
Old 15th December, 2004, 09:11 PM
Benchmarker

Don't mention it, I'll make sure that Dod's words will be translated and adapted to the current situation. I'll work on this over the weekend !

Old 16th December, 2004, 09:52 AM
Member/Contributer

Grooveeeey!
Old 21st December, 2004, 09:23 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

It's happening, very soon we will have AOAforums and AOA Team 45 on the front page. Countdown has begun: 10

DOD said "Haven't seen any piccies with those badges tho'. How much extra MHz did they give you"

Chris said: Very soon I'll post them for you m8! And everybody should know that after putting the AOA badge onto my personal system I've experienced a sudden reboot and the proccessor was no longer showed as a Barton 3000+ but as a Athlon 64 3800+ and I just don't know what happened!!!!

Old 21st December, 2004, 10:35 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey Chris - if they want to, the guys over from the other forum could join our team as a subteam, and that way quickly move up the ranks. Just a suggestion! Thank you for doing what you are doing!