AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2005, 02:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Exclamation 'full time' folding *coming soon*

hi all,
As you've probably heard, i'm setting up a server for various things and one of those will be folding@home. If i can go ahead with it though, i'm going to need some help. I still need some components to be able to finish building the server itself. If anyone could tell me where i could buy (cheap prices please) the following then i'd be so greatful. i need:

Slot 1 mobo for a pentium 2 (i think it's 366Mhz but not certain)
A modem (56K)
PSU (not too powerful, 300W will do)
Hard drive (not too big but this isn't urgent as i may be getting one soon anyway)

That's all i need so i want to know where i can get them definately (like 'buy it now' on ebay) without having to compete but they must be working correctly and not going to be a health hazard. They must be as cheap as possible but be quiet (not essential but would be nice). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Regards,
Scott.
Old 20th February, 2005, 02:50 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If you can pay shipping accross the pond, I can send you a slot 1 P3 -450, and a 2 gig HDD. The CPU has a small Heat sink already attached, but should have a fan jerryrigged on... dell pull.
Old 20th February, 2005, 03:14 PM

I can pay shipping. If it is working well and no problems then ok. If you email or PM me then i'll get back to you about it. As long as it's not too expensive for shipping then i'm fine.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)

Last edited by skool h8r; 20th February, 2005 at 04:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2005, 05:15 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

As i think i stated in another thread of yours finding a slot 1 board might be quite trickey as alot of them have died. The general slot design had a problem when mounted in vertical in a tower in that a heavy heatsink literally would pull the sockets off the mobo's enough to kill it. I have seen a many early P2 boards die this way in my time. They tried to fix the problem with an extra mounting latch on later boards especially for the heatsink to mount to. Which had some sucess, certainly less latter boards died this way. But this was also the era of cheap capacitors from taiwan (copy of jap cap's, but they were cheap and not quite rite). I've seen a fair few later end P3 boards die from blown caps!
If you really want one of those boards i'd suggest hunting ebay and alike for them. But tbh the prices your going to end up paying you might as well get a cheap socket a board (can be as little as ~£25 i think) and a cheap duron aint much more.

Edit - Asus mobo £30, http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=49060
there are some pc chips and msi ones for less!
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=73078
sempron chip (less than a 1600 duron) £33.
Kinda cheap really and new!

Last edited by keithwalton; 20th February, 2005 at 05:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2005, 05:26 PM
Member/Contributer

I "may" have a Slot A Asus K7V mainboard and 700Mhz Slot A CPU in it and possibly with 256MB RAM. I say possibly as it may not be for sale just yet. If you are interested let me know and I'll investigate it for you.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2005, 07:00 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Ive got loads of old hdds kicking around in the garage, how big a drive do you want? if you are not in a serious rush i could probably mail one to you.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2005, 07:04 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Ive got loads of old hdds kicking around in the garage, how big a drive do you want? if you are not in a serious rush i could probably mail one to you.
Ya know, we have a classified section. Why don't ya put them in there.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st February, 2005, 02:53 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

[pimp]robbie[/pimp]

my pII that i have had for 4-6years (cant remember when i got it) still hasnt died on me, it is still a stable machine, which is nice

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 22nd February, 2005, 07:58 PM

erm, well monkeyman, i'm not in a desperate rush for them as i'm still saving for other things for the server and mod. but, i'm after a 3.4 - 10Gb drive (nothing too big as it's not going to host many files). Once it's up and running, i'll be running F@H full time (nearly full time, some exceptions) and you can all have access to the files on it (i'll also provide a password protected uploader for you lot). It'll mostly be games and pictures (and other exclusive services for you lot (blogging, etc.) probably but anyway. As my ISP is a 'pay monthly', it's ok to run it most of the time.But thanks for all those that are offering to help me. And Lazgoat, if it is going to be for sale then please let me know and we can come to an agreement (i can't pay too much straight away as i said in other posts, i'm on a shoestring budget).

Thanks.

Old 22nd February, 2005, 11:07 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
I can pay shipping. If it is working well and no problems then ok. If you email or PM me then i'll get back to you about it. As long as it's not too expensive for shipping then i'm fine.
Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner. I can't know the shipping cost until I take it over to mail. Also, I don't have any slot 1 mobos to test with... sorry. It was a pull from about 2 years ago. It was working fine at the time. Also, the hdd is very old, but was working the last time I tried it 6 months ago. If it is worth the hassle, I can pack it up, and ship it, if you commit to up to $15 for shipping. I don't know about VAT, you'd be on your own for that.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 08:00 PM

i'm sorry, i was mistaken in your first post, i didn't read it properly, my bad. thought there was a mobo with it. It was my fault, i already have some CPU's, 2 pentium 2's, 1 dell pull and 1 compaq deskpro pull, they are fanless but have good sized heatsinks. I will probably be laying the computer on it's side just so i don't wreck the mobo (if i ever find one). I'm not wanting to spend loads on the server as it's not going to be doing any performance intensive tasks. It's only going to be a basic PC. Anyway, in a few weeks i'll be moving into a new school (it's nearly finished being built) and they are having some new computers so i'm going to find out i any are going to be 'chucked out'. Hopefully there will be some but i doubt that they will let me have one. As they were all on a network, i would probably have to find a HD. But, i'm ordering one for my brother so he can use it with a laptop he was given, i'm also ordering him a 2.5" to 3.5" HD adapter. Then, when i have enough, i'm going to go buy a cheap hard drive from somewhere (probably not ebay). I really just want to be able to get some good deals, maybe spend about £20 on it altogether. The motherboard is going to be the hardest to find although i've just found one on ebay for a few pence.

Old 23rd February, 2005, 10:02 PM

ok, i've found a new mobo on ebay for £5 and delivery is £5 so i've gone with buy it now. It's made by intel and is slot 1, it's tested and working so i'm going to put some money in my bank account tomorrow.At least i can get all the other components pretty easily so thanks for all those offering parts for cheap prices.

EDIT: I've ordered the mobo and i sent the money through paypal. also ordered my big brothers laptop hard drive adapter.

Last edited by skool h8r; 24th February, 2005 at 05:29 PM.