AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June, 2005, 12:25 PM
Steve Jobs

Better P3 Folding

I have a bit of a problem with my P3 machines at the moment. Im running a few machines now, the winchester 3200+ @ 2.6Ghz, a stock 2600+ Tbred, a 2400+ @ 2600+ (both on unix), but I have 3 P3 machines that are really struggling.

There is a mobile P3 600E
A Desktop P3 600E
A Desktop P3 550E

They are not great, and I know that, but they shouldnt suck this much. Most of them are working on relatively large WUs, with over 40 days till deadline on each, and they do eventually do them, however these machines are Re-imaged about every month to stop them creating trouble. Every time it is re-imaged, it loses what it was doing and starts again. This isnt a problem with small GROMACS or Amber core WUs, but nearly all Tinkers and some larger GROMACS are being wiped.

Is it possible to make F@H only download very small WUs with short deadlines?

And are P3s usually very slow? Even though they have low clockspeeds, I would swear they produce less than a tenth of even the T-Bred AMD machines.

The P3 machines are by the looks putting out less than 10 points per day. In contrast the AMD machines are doing several hundreds between them.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2005, 12:34 PM
Member/Contributer

That is quite poor, it should be at worse 1/8th the speed vs a Dual Channel DDR400 system

Can the boards their on manage a 133mhz fsb? As I'd wager all of those chips will cope with that and thats a 33% boost

Isn't there an option when you install F@H to allow high memory WU's?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2005, 12:56 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea thats disabled already. the mobile 600 is already pushing 80 degrees so I doubt it can go any further.

Do the 600Es and 550Es really go that quick?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 01:16 PM
Member/Contributer

easy, they would only be 800 and 733 respectively, I've just got a 650E for my parents system that does 975mhz

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th June, 2005, 01:41 PM
Steve Jobs

I had no idea these Old P3Es overclocked so well. Will it need any extra voltage to do that though? And how hot can these safely run. And what is special about the E designation. Does it just mean its a slot loader (these two are).
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 01:49 PM

dsio,

Do you use the graphical or console F@H? I use the console and have a PIII 733 that really pumps out the WUs when set to no deadline. Run the console version and you can set up folding to run as a service. Tell it "Y" to change advanced options and you can set it up to run smaller work units with less memory demand and you can force no-deadline wus as well.
Old 10th June, 2005, 01:50 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I'd "correct" this by reimaging them every other month... better yet, Áedán has a VIA-EPIA bridge gateway/firewall running off a 256MB CF card - I can't remember if he wrote this up and can't check due to websense - set one of those up (not folding - they're pathetic) and sit your p3s behind them and don't bother to image them at all...

oh, and otherwise make the software changes Logan suggested.
Old 10th June, 2005, 01:51 PM
Member/Contributer

E means coppermine, B means 133mhz bus, EB means both.

Most coppermines usualy had at least 900mhz in them, 1ghz was the magic number though, and only a few could reach it, and heat was hardly ever the issue, you're ok with up to about 1.9V, 2V or more and you can quite easily kill the chip, even if it's cool but default voltage should get those to the 133mhz fsb, at most you may need 1.75V.

Temps are about the same as any other cpu, but keeping them below 50°C shouldn't be hard, what stepping are they? (cBO, cCO etc..)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th June, 2005, 01:59 PM
Steve Jobs

Mate that isnt really the problem. These computers are used by people that have know clue, including teenage girls, which see popups that are like "Do you want free lip gloss? download our Gift Receiver program to claim your free prize"

Im sick of that, and dealing with these machines that have 70 little programs running in the system tray every time I look at them. The solution is regular reimaging. They dont even bother installing anything because they know it will vanish.

WinXP, Office 2003, FireFox, and AIM. Thats all they get.

And no mate, Im not using the console. Im using the console on the unix machines, but on my Athlon 64, as well as all of the P3s, I use the system tray version. The thing I dont like about the console is that from what I hear, you cant tell progress, or do the right click -> My folding thing to check your stats, which I quite like. If there was a way to do that with the console I would.

How much of an improvement in output would I notice on My A64 @ 2.6Ghz, and the P3s by using the console?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 02:01 PM
Steve Jobs

Graham, erm where does it have it on the CPU? Can you read the stepping with CPU-z?

I become a complete noob when the word Intel appears on the CPU, I honestly have no clue about these things.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Im sick of that, and dealing with these machines that have 70 little programs running in the system tray every time I look at them. The solution is regular reimaging. They dont even bother installing anything because they know it will vanish.

WinXP, Office 2003, FireFox, and AIM. Thats all they get.
Oh you didn't give them "Power User" access did you? Give them "Limited User" (or 2k equivalent), or better yet "Guest" and have done with it.
Old 10th June, 2005, 02:08 PM
Steve Jobs

yea thats an idea I suppose. I will look into it Still interested in whether or not the console version can do what I like the tray version to do, and how much of a performance improvement if any I could expect.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 02:14 PM

The console version can install itself as a service, just like RM1's installer, but for a uniprocessor system. I couldn't tell you about advantages and disadvantages of anything where Windows is concerned - you know what I'd consider to be the disadvantage
Old 10th June, 2005, 02:33 PM

The console keeps track of WUs in a notepad document. Other than that it's pretty basic. Just folds first and never asks questions...even later.

Edit: If you do install the service I would recommend going into the services settings and setting all three options to "automatically restart service". This has been the winner for me. No matter what a person screws up on a computer I have folding on I know that it will always be up and running. (Keeps them from turning it off manually as well)
Old 10th June, 2005, 02:46 PM
Steve Jobs

Still dont really know about what kind of a performance difference I will see. That is really what I would like to know.

I know what you mean Kaitain. Though my 2.6Ghz winchester should be the fastest folder, my two Tbred unix machines, one OpenBSD 3.7 (released May) one Mandrake 10.1, are outproducing it consistantly.

By the way logan, I have been watching more and more the stats pages, to see who is moving and who isnt. Not exactly hard to get your rank up quickly when half the people in the top 100 are no longer folding which is a bit sad. Then there are cheaters :P You, Gizmo, SteveI, and Jazz spring to mind. 30 machines folding is too much lol. I imagine you have infected a whole workplace?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 02:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Yeah CPUZ should pick up on the stepping

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th June, 2005, 03:00 PM
Steve Jobs

Graham, the Mobile 600E in this laptop (TBO, I never use my A64 for anything other than gaming or 3d work) is a CC0, the Slot load desktop 600E in the better of the two machines (that runs quite cool) is a CB0, and the 550E isnt giving me a reading at all.

What is the difference between the steppings, and which is better / why is it better?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 03:12 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Lightbulb

Quote:

And no mate, Im not using the console. Im using the console on the unix machines, but on my Athlon 64, as well as all of the P3s, I use the system tray version. The thing I dont like about the console is that from what I hear, you cant tell progress, or do the right click -> My folding thing to check your stats, which I quite like. If there was a way to do that with the console I would.
Mate

Electron Microscope 3
Recommended monitor program for console F@H users

Download section in Team45 page
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 10th June, 2005, 03:18 PM
Steve Jobs

What exactly does EM3 do for me? does it give predicted time of completion, WU due date, and all that stuff as well?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th June, 2005, 03:42 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
What exactly does EM3 do for me? does it give predicted time of completion, WU due date, and all that stuff as well?
Thats exactly what it does! Go get it!