AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2005, 12:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Does the F@H client take advantage of my dual core CPU?

Was thinking that maybe I should be running 2 instances of F@H on this machine. If it only uses one core, I should be able to double my output at idle.
Old 8th November, 2005, 12:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Not at present, it doesn't take advantage of dual core setups. If you want to, you'd have to run two copies of F@H on the machine. Make sure they run from different directories however!
Old 8th November, 2005, 01:11 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

didnt russian missile do a set up prog for this type of setup?

EDIT: is there something here... FAH 5 Oneclick/Service Installer ?

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2005, 07:50 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

A few tips:
-in config assign the second instance ID 2
- use the -local flag on both instances
-check task manager to see CPU utilization... it should be obvious.
Old 12th November, 2005, 01:13 AM
Member/Contributer

I didn't realize that the task mamager would give me seperate displays for each core. That is good to know. A real perk to this dual core is that it will run F@H at 100% no matter what I do on the machine. Very nice. I'm 4 steps from the end of this WU, I'll get it running dual after it finnishes.

I don't know what you mean with the -Local thing. I'm kinda stupid.

Edit: I set it up, but chose not to use the installer. I don't want this to run as a service. I have to stop it when I am gaming on the machines. All I did was copy the directory, edit the config file ( machine ID=2 ) and delete the work folder. Worked great. I'm actually slowing climbing back up.

Last edited by Azriel; 12th November, 2005 at 04:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th November, 2005, 05:35 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Well done Azriel, and see you at 10.000 !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 17th November, 2005, 06:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Running as a service is easier to deal with if you want it to stop it for gaming purposes... Create a link to the services, select the instance and pause it....

I think stop and starts increase the likihood of corrupting units. Pausing should be safer, but is only available as a service.

BTW, WTG!!!
Old 17th November, 2005, 10:10 PM
Member/Contributer

I run two instances on my X2 4400+ as well, and I also chose not to install them as services. Mainly because it is a test rig so I need to be able to shut them down now and then.

Steve, I'm not having any problems with starting and stopping the units, no corruptions here.

Az, I tested this thing with something running in the background (using one of the cores) and gaming at the same time. While a single core would have problems with the game, the dual core just keeps on gaming. (Current games have no benefit of dual core what-so-ever)
Old 18th November, 2005, 12:21 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

FAH detects the ms console closing in Windows and the sigterm signal in Linux and saves its present snapshot before terminating. The only time you corrupt units is when you crash. This by observation and never running as service (I like watching progress).
Old 18th November, 2005, 02:23 AM
Member/Contributer

Thank you, and glad to be back with team 45. I'm happily racing through the ranks of the inactive users. I tried it, and I can game just fine with 2 big packets running. I'm still going to add another gig to this box soon though. My only concern is memory usage. I could set it to no big packets, but someone has to do them. May as well be me. At the moment i have everything except the server on big packets. The server is a cellery 667 on a tyan tomcat i810e mobo (all in one crap) stuffed into a tiny ugly little inwin case. I have to laugh when nubs OOoooo.. over the term "server". I always use the most worthless crap I can find on my shelves for a server.
Old 18th November, 2005, 02:30 AM
Member/Contributer

Oh, btw.. I am working on getting 2 more machines slapped together headless. I have 3 mobo's and 2 chips here. Funny thing is I just found this socket 370 board never opened while cleaning up the pit, and I have no idea when or why I bought it. The two I am putting together will be another duron 800, and a t-bird 1GHz. Maybe look into setting them up as linux boxes.
Old 18th November, 2005, 02:44 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Serving computers occupy the same position in society as serving humans - lowly wretches
Old 18th November, 2005, 04:52 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Welcome back to the fold my friend. Do the linux, you'll like it.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah

Tags
multi-core processor

« Fight | Odd »