AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2006, 12:25 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Lets talk about power!

Well, I didnt think it would take them long. Ive had my pc folding 24/7 for the last few months. Today i got a new bill and the power company want to put up my leccy bill by £10 a month Although this may not seem like alot, in my current situation its enough to force me to have to stop folding 24/7 which i dont want to be doing.

I need to find out how much my pc draws in power over a 24/168 hr period. Anyone know how i can work this out?
And if poss does anyone have any ideas about how to reduce the power comsumed by a pc, For example: does an overclocked system use that much more power than one at stock?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 18th January, 2006, 01:26 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

When OC your rig will consume more. When folding will consume more because the CPU will be used 100 %. If you use Graphical Client you can set the max ammount of used CPU at 50% or whatever you see fit.

Hope this helps a little !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2006, 01:36 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Unfortunately the calculations aren't quite so simple, unless you can monitor the consumption at the socket.

For example, my rig (PC, monitor, cooling, printer, speakers, UPS etc) when idle takes 217W. Under full (CPU+Graphics) load it takes about 250W. For example, going from 2.0GHz to 2.4GHz increases the power consumption of the CPU by 20%. Given that the CPU isn't the only part consuming power, that represents a small part of the total power consumed.

So, an overclocked system does take more power, but you might find that it's only some 10% of the total power.

What power management do you have in place? What remains on or in standby? (Note that electronic devices that are in standby still take a few watts of power. You can make some savings by turning things off rather than standby!)
Old 18th January, 2006, 04:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A tangendentally related question! ":O} Always wanted to type that! ( and now I can't spell it! LOL)

Does telling your drives to sleep effect Distributed computing, or is that all up in da ram?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2006, 05:36 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
A tangendentally related question! ":O} Always wanted to type that! ( and now I can't spell it! LOL)

Does telling your drives to sleep effect Distributed computing, or is that all up in da ram?
The data is written on HDD before the core is engaged (by the download of the proteine) and after is done.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 18th January, 2006, 05:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Telling the hard disks to spin down may help, if the app doesn't write stuff to disk too often. BOINC/WGC under windows appears to write too frequently for the disks to spin down.
Old 19th January, 2006, 04:15 PM

Ajopz
Try this my good man

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...criteria=mains monitor&doy=19m1

Although I got it for £10 as it was on offer.
Few things i learnt.In a folding rig(not your main machine)you dont need poky graphics card.In one of my machines the 9800XT accounted for approx 30% of the power consumption.PCI cards do fine.Turn everything off on the moptherboard you do not need.I tried hard drive spin down but F@H did not like it.Lower your vcore and other voltages to the lowest possible.Its amazing how much more juice you use running at say 1.85v instead of 1.75v.Also having 12 machines when you turn them off cut the supply.They use a small amount on standby but add them all up X how ever many days and its a noticeable sum.By using the above meter and noting what pinched what.(ie dvd drives etc use didly squat when doing nothing)I knocked my leccy bill from £210 to £150 average.
Smiffy

Asus Crossfire IV Formula.Phenomll 1090T at 3.7GHz
Asus Ati 4890 at 950 Core 1025MHz Mem speed.
4 GB Crucial Ballistix 1600DDR3.COrsair 1200W supply
Corsair 40GB SDD X 2 Raid 0 and 2 X WD Caviar Black 1Tbs Raid 0
LG Blue ray/Hd dvd reader and 2 dvd writers
All wrapped up in a Silverstone TJ09
Old 22nd January, 2006, 11:04 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Thanx for help everyone!

Nice1 smiffy, Ive been looking for something like that for awhile.

Thats 3 people on AoA that come from good old norfolk(the best county)
Old 23rd January, 2006, 02:09 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I remember back when I first started to fold I use to tell the hd's to spin down. I would usually get a problem though.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd January, 2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
I remember back when I first started to fold I use to tell the hd's to spin down. I would usually get a problem though.
I'll give that a miss then.
Old 28th January, 2006, 06:17 AM

I know it cost me more $$ to have 8 rigs folding instead of 2. I just don't have
it broken down as to how much more. we have electric everything and I try
to use as little as possible anyway. I have had two rigs folding for 4 months
24/7 and would have to shut them down to find the difference. that will not
happen!

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2006, 06:19 AM

and just in case you were woundering if I was going to make 1000 posts?

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2006, 09:15 AM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman
I know it cost me more $$ to have 8 rigs folding instead of 2. I just don't have
it broken down as to how much more. we have electric everything and I try
to use as little as possible anyway. I have had two rigs folding for 4 months
24/7 and would have to shut them down to find the difference. that will not
happen!

Ron
Without the spirit there is no power ! Thnks RON

Old 28th January, 2006, 09:16 AM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaerman
and just in case you were woundering if I was going to make 1000 posts?

Ron
Congorats as Logan would have said....by the way where is Logan?

Old 28th January, 2006, 01:48 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I haven't heard from him in ages i wonder what he's up to.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 28th January, 2006, 07:22 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
I haven't heard from him in ages i wonder what he's up to.
Last time I heard he is getting married !

Old 28th January, 2006, 11:27 PM
Member/Contributer

My latest electricity bill was way too high, which caused me to power down some rigs as well. I don't have any running 24/7 anymore. (From 4 to 0 makes a difference, but also on the folding output, sadly)