AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2006, 04:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

ATI GPU folding client to be released OCT 2nd!

Since 2000, Folding@Home (FAH) has lead to a major jump in the capabilities of molecular simulation. By joining together hundreds of thousands of PCs throughout the world, calculations which were previously considered impossible have now become routine. FAH has targeted the study of protein folding and protein folding disease, and numerous scientific advances have come from the project.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1236/2/

Many thanks to Cadaveca for bringing this to our attention!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2006, 05:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Guesss who's production is going to take a huge jump?

I got x1800xl, x1900crossfire, x1900XTX, and x1950XTX...and all will fold.

Currently short a mobo and some mem, but come next friday...

Last edited by cadaveca; 28th September, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2006, 05:32 PM
Steve Jobs

Just out of interest, how do you feel about running high end GPUs 24/7?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 28th September, 2006, 05:59 PM

It's only money. Watercooled, every one of them, so not as bad as you might think. On air tho...

I'm actually interested to see how long they last. I have a sneaking suspicion that the load given to these cards may be akin to what a proper DX10 load would be, especially running Vista Ultimate, so it needs to be done, regardless, and I'm willing to spend a bit of cash to see what happens, and let others know.

I mean really...wanna test vidcard performance? THIS IS THE WAY.

Last edited by cadaveca; 28th September, 2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 28th September, 2006, 06:38 PM
Steve Jobs

Air is my major concern. I know that for one thing, GPU coolers are not designed to run constantly, and if you force the fan to operate constantly on a Geforce 6 6800, (I know its not an ATI, but this is talking about the cooler), the fan bearings will fail within a year, I'm on my second cooler now, and its starting to need regular oiling. The NVsilencers, identical to the ATIsilencers also have bearings that wear quickly.

80+++ degrees celcius for extended periods could have an interesting application though. Nice little burn in for a new card.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 28th September, 2006, 06:46 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Will be interesting how fast they fold.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 28th September, 2006, 06:58 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Yup indeedy, i shall be bringing my x1900xt into the fold then it was only ever intendid as an interim until the R600 was avaliable. Also im moving house again at the weekend, the new place has unlimited electricity rates, so i'll be bringing the laptops back online i might even build a cheap box for doing nat like stuff. (Would initially be a celly but i'll move my c2d in there when i get my c2q).

I think i've done a good job at holding off cadaveca for so long you've been right on my tail for the last 4 months or so!

Last edited by keithwalton; 28th September, 2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 28th September, 2006, 07:02 PM

lol...yes, you have, however part of that time(8000+ points) one of my rigs was folding under another alias. I'll be passing you mid-end october.
Old 28th September, 2006, 07:09 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

It all depends on how much of a boost the ati gpu folding makes. you have alot more gpu's but i'll be bringing 3 more cpu's online (1.4 banias, 1.13 p3m, 2.66 celly) and at least one if not two x300's if they're supported
Old 28th September, 2006, 08:08 PM

R520++ only, I'm afraid. The R580 is the fastest currently, and i'll have 3, plus 1 R520. I'm up @ 1000ppd ATM, and climbing.

I'll also be adding a few more cores

I guess the race is on!
Old 28th September, 2006, 08:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Eeek

I'm only pulling a little over that right now myself. Hmmm.......
Old 28th September, 2006, 09:21 PM

lol. sry giz, but i think i'm gonna pass you in ppd too!
Old 28th September, 2006, 09:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hmm........
I've got my four big guns still running on WCG at the moment. Since I seem to be about the only one running it, I may have to 'retask' them.
Old 28th September, 2006, 10:01 PM

Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 28th September, 2006, 11:25 PM

Well, I got my X1800XT, then I have an X1800GTO my brother uses....

Hoping to snag one of those X1650's with that nice MIR just to see what results it will bring.

Very interesting approach to folding, I was just wondering how long it would have taken too see a GPU used in such calculation, I guess I got my answer.

Dave: got any benchies for us with that X1950??

Last edited by tiamat63; 28th September, 2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 29th September, 2006, 12:10 AM

Not yet. I'm just starting to accumulate parts for that rig, but things dying keep putting it off.
Old 29th September, 2006, 12:38 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I doubt I am the only one hoping for an Nvidia folding solution?

Also @ dsio's mentioning load and temps - could it be done that as with f@h for the CPU you can set a load percentage, and thus keep temps at more reasonable levels?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 29th September, 2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
but things dying keep putting it off.
Hot swap another dongle while running the rig? lol
Old 29th September, 2006, 02:45 AM

Haven't done THAT yet...becasue my systems are watercooled, it's a bit of a pain to change something.
Old 29th September, 2006, 03:14 AM

Exactly, which is why I think I'll go air for my next rig.

I've changed cases twice with my setup, and its a pain in the ass.
Between drilling holes and routing tubing, then mounting the pump, radiator, res (I use one now) its alot of work to just switch out something like a GPU or motherboard.