AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd December, 2006, 05:00 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

DualCore FAH

Hey guys. Seems that some users out there are having issues configuring FAH to run on a dual/quad core. SO, here I am trying to help them out.

Running dual or quad instances of FAH is really quite simple, altohugh does take a bit of set-up.

Although there are multiple clients out there, I'll only be covering the text console version, and windows, as it's the most efficient with system resources, and will garner the largest production for Stanford, while being easy enough for almost every user.

Firstly, let's go to MY DOCUMENTS, and create two(or four) new folders. You can create a parent FAH folder and then create a folder for each instance you wish to run. You should have something like this:
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1166803024
I've named my folders "Core0" and "Core1", in hexidecimal format. Subsequent folders should be labelled as high as you like...the client does not care.

Once that's done, go to the Stanford download page and download the TEXT CLIENT. The downloads can be found here:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg.../download.html

Download the client into one of your new folders.
Once it has completed, double-click it to start the config wizard. You should have a bunch of things to fill out, your UID, your team #(45), etc. Answer all of the questions until you get to change advanced options, at which point you must say "yes" in reply. this will allow you to set the advmethods "flag" to "on", by answering yes, as well as allowing to set a machine ID for each client. once you've gone through the questions, your console should look like this:

Once you've answered all the questions, the client will automatically start and begin crunching. But we don't want it working yet...so let's close it by making sure it's the active window(by click the top of the window), and then press and hold "Ctrl" and then press the letter "c".

Back in our folding folder, we want to find that file we downloaded, which should have the Stanford "red gear" logo for an icon. Right click it, and select copy.

Navigate to our "Core1" folder, and right-click on an open space, and select "paste". This will give us the console client in both folders.

Once again, we want to double-click it to start it up again. This should sutomatically restart the config wizard for our second instance. Once again, answer the questions the same as the above example, however we want to make sure that we change the machine ID to a different number..."2", to make it simple, as seen below:

QUite simply, that's it. To finish it off, and make it easy to start, rightclick the FAH icon inside your folder, and create a desktop shortcut like this:
and label the shorcut appropriately on your desktop. Repeat for the other client in the other folder as well, and that's it! Simply click the shortcuts to start each instance, and begin crunching!

Attached Thumbnails
DualCore FAH-fahguide1.jpg   DualCore FAH-fahguide2.jpg   DualCore FAH-fahguide3.jpg   DualCore FAH-fahguide4.jpg   DualCore FAH-fahguide5.jpg  

Old 22nd December, 2006, 10:28 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Nice1 dave, Ive been having some probs running the dual core installer that russianmissile made up, so i'll give this a try
Old 23rd December, 2006, 12:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

You are the best Dave.

Thanks for your help bud.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December, 2006, 12:34 AM

Do I need to uninstall or delete the one I'm running? If so, do the present work be loss?
I try it but it didn't give me the chance to change the machine id, so they are both no.1. Try to edit but didn't work. Should I delete all instances of FAH and try again?

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th December, 2006, 09:58 PM

Guys...a little help here please.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th December, 2006, 10:05 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

You're running the text based version right? if so then create a second folder called Core 1 and then just start up another instance of the programme. Tell me if i'm wrong on this.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 26th December, 2006, 06:57 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Folllow the directions exactly as they are listed above.

If you havea current WU going, exit it, and add the command-line argument "-oneunit" at the end of the shortcut(rightclick the shortcut), and when it's done, do as the above states. You can "walk away" from the "oneunit" argument, and when it's done the current WU, it'll shut down on it's own. Restarting will initiate download of another WU.
Old 26th December, 2006, 11:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A great contribution Dave! Many thanks!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 28th December, 2006, 01:19 AM

I finally got it. Asus pc probe 100% usage x2. Before it will split the 100% in two (60-40,51-49, and so on).

AOA Team fah
Old 28th December, 2006, 04:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Fold on my friend....