AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2007, 04:50 AM

Who else is GPU folding?

I know keithwalton and smiffy are. I just got started tonight with beta4 on a lowly 1650 Pro @ 631/1412 speeds. But hey - it works and ya can't do it on a Nv card, so there!

So go out and get yourself some Ay-tee-yie X1k and keep the folding experience interesting...
Old 28th February, 2007, 05:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I think Cadaveca is also folding on a GPU, or at least he was.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2007, 06:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

where can i get this prog for my card?
Old 28th February, 2007, 11:06 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

You can get it here my good man http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg.../download.html

I'm currently GPU folding with Cat 7.2's under vista, and im getting alot of units that start and imediatly give up (you may see in my stats at times i have 60 odd units and 60 points in one update) if a unit however gets going it keeps going.

Under vista gpu folding i think is much slower however it uses next to know cpu time (out of my dual units one is set to 95% and i still have 1% cpu time overall remaining)
Old 28th February, 2007, 12:19 PM

Sadly the program is only for Ati x600,800 and 900.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2007, 01:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This is silly. I just bought a new card and did not get the ATI card. That would have been 3 cores in one box. [smacks self in forehead]
Old 28th February, 2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongwolf
Sadly the program is only for Ati x600,800 and 900.
No, it runs on X1600, X1800, and X1900-series cards, and oddly enough, there is or will soon be a client for PS3:

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

Sam -

My understanding is if you have a dual-core CPU and a X1k GPU, you can run one instance of F@H on a CPU and one instance on the GPU at the same time, but the other core must be left "unused" to address the GPU instance. I don't know an awful lot about the GPU side of F@H yet as it is brand-new to me.

Still, 2 instances running in 1 boxen is good!

I'm not sure why, but I think the GPU client doesn't work (or work well) on 2x GPU's re Crossfire, but I'm sure there will be a beta for that upcoming.

Check out the forum: http://forum.folding-community.org/f...re-issues.html

Last edited by aztec61; 28th February, 2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 28th February, 2007, 02:49 PM

Well then, I still have my X2 folding two instances. So I am all good. The sad thing is, the only reason I got a dual core was for folding....lol
Old 28th February, 2007, 03:16 PM

Well you know, when I ordered this card I had no idea that there was a F@H GPU client until someone on AOA mentioned it on another thread. I just bought it to upgrade the vid performance on this old rig, since I'm stuck with this one for now.

So the extra ppd will be a great bonus and cost only $105.63 total, (after the $20. MIR from Sapphire). The nice thing is that since it's AGP and a 1650, there's no lag while doing other things like with some of the 1800's or 1900's. Not sure why that is. (Maybe keith has some input on that?)

Last edited by aztec61; 28th February, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 1st March, 2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
Well then, I still have my X2 folding two instances. So I am all good. The sad thing is, the only reason I got a dual core was for folding....lol
it is the only reason that makes sense to me.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 1st March, 2007, 02:40 PM

I thought so.

AOA, Folding, and gaming, what else is there?
Old 2nd March, 2007, 05:57 AM

Well, there used to be wine, wimmin, & song but the first 2 gave me too much guff.
Old 2nd March, 2007, 07:05 PM

Abstain from wine, women and song...... mostly song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I think Cadaveca is also folding on a GPU, or at least he was.

What ISNT he folding with yet??

Last edited by tiamat63; 2nd March, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 2nd March, 2007, 07:46 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

I am, at least I think I am... it says Large WU startup...

"Working on 1258 GPUlambda"

I guess it's working now
Attached Thumbnails
Who else is GPU folding?-fah.jpg  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 2nd March, 2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2nd March, 2007, 09:38 PM

looks like it is to me.
Old 2nd March, 2007, 09:46 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Now it's just 1 day to completion so I <3 my GPU
Attached Thumbnails
Who else is GPU folding?-cool.jpg  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 2nd March, 2007, 11:20 PM

can somebody help me? can't get my 1950 pro to work.
win xp, catalyst 7.1 and 7.2 tested, gpu client 5.91 beta3
client says, my card is not supported
Attached Thumbnails
Who else is GPU folding?-fahgpu_error.jpg  
Old 3rd March, 2007, 12:30 AM

gedon -

I think some of the 19xx's or 1950's have a few quirky things to sort out with FAH GPU from what little I've read about them. Go to the website and poke around, and seek out the gurus there like mhouston, uncle_fungus, and Bruce. They know a ton more about it than I do:

http://forum.folding-community.org/f...re-issues.html

I do know you must use 7.2, 6.10, or 6.11 drivers though. And make sure before you install another driver set that you've completely cleared out all vestiges of the previous set first.

~ Download Driver Cleaner Pro and RegCleaner 4.3 and unzip.
~ Uninstall current driver. Reboot.
~ Run DCP & RC 4.3
~ Install 6.10, 6.11, or 7.2.

In fact, if you had 7.1 installed before and did not do a thorough cleaning, even if you have 7.2 installed now, I would uninstall and clean as above anyway - making sure that everything that says "ATi", even the empty folders in "Local Disk > Program Files", are gone, then re-install.

Also, you must have DirectX 9.0c installed, b/c there's a critical ati.dll file needed.

That should get you going on the right foot, then see what the specifics are for your GPU at the website I gave.

I know that CPU speed doesn't make a lot of diff, so there's no need to keep your CPU o/c'ed high for FAH GPU. (I've lowered my 2400+ speed since folding GPU-style) Nor does the speed of the VRAM matter as much as the amount of VRAM (say 256 vs. 512). With this, it's the GPU core's shaders and speed that's most important, so the best stable clocks you can get on your GPU core is what you want, and you can pretty much leave the VRAM at stock.

You'll have to increase the voltage (to 1.4v ?) on your core to get decent speeds w/o crashing. Unfortunately, I can only get fairly mild stable o/c's on my RV535 core since it has no +voltage option.

Last edited by aztec61; 3rd March, 2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 3rd March, 2007, 12:59 AM

have no ati.dll, where do I get it?
Old 3rd March, 2007, 01:07 AM

It should install with DX 9.0c - I think!