AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2001, 02:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Post Join AOA Folding@home! Newbie guide is here.

Q: What is this Folding@home anyway?
A: Folding@home is a distributed computing project that uses our computers to unravel the mysteries of the protein folding procedures. We are helping scientists at Stanford University to understand why and how proteins 'fold', so it will be easier for them to find cures for diseases like Alzheimers, HIV etc.

Q: This sounds interesting, can I help?
A: YES! You sure can, and it is free too! All you need to do is download a small application, and let it run in the background on your computer. It will make use of the unused clock cycles only (!), so you will never notice that it is running. Once in a while it will connect to the internet to get new info (a new work unit) to process. The folding of a work unit (WU) takes several hours, depending on your computer.

Q: Which version should I choose?
A: If you are on a Windows machine, you can choose from the console client or the graphical cilent (which is also a screensaver). The console version is faster for folding, but does not show fancy graphics. There is a Win NT (screensaver only) version as well as a Linux console version available also.

Q: Great, I've downloaded and installed the application, now what?
A: Now you are ready to join our team and fold, fold, fold! Run the application, and you will be questioned with username, team number etc. Username is up to you, and as team number just enter number 45 and you will automatically join our team, AOA Forums.

Q: I would like some additional info, where should I go?
A: You are always free to ask any questions in this forum topic, or you can PM or e-mail me directly (allan@aoaforums.com). The official Folding@home site is also worth a look, http://folding.stanford.edu/

Q: Any other links?
A: Yes, I've collected some good links for you at the bottom. There are links to statistics and other nice things.

Q: Anything else I should know?
A: Nothing but a big WELCOME to our team, I hope you enjoy folding for us.

LINKS
DOWNLOAD: http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
Official page: http://folding.stanford.edu/
Official team stats: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchteamstats
Official AOA stats: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=45
AOA Stats Team page: http://home18.inet.tele.dk/langmose/aoa/
Den's AOA Stats: http://users.neosmart.com/hruzaden/f...aoa-stats.html

Fold on!

Last edited by Allan; 12th December, 2001 at 04:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 10:07 PM

Very good post Allan !!!!
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys

Last edited by Lionfish; 24th October, 2001 at 01:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2001, 12:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

wow that default team is really kicking arse!

Old 7th November, 2001, 01:33 PM

WINDOWS XP USERS
Just a note to windows XP users, Folding@Home did not work when i went to run the install program, it would just flash on and off my screen.

First of all i went into properties, and i went to compatibility, then run in compatibility with Windows 200 - didn't work, so i tried it with run in compatibility with (98/me), and hey presto, it installes

just thought i would share this with u lot, as u might have the same issues

Conrad
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 10th November, 2001, 12:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by Pc-Critic
WINDOWS XP USERS
Just a note to windows XP users, Folding@Home did not work when i went to run the install program, it would just flash on and off my screen.

First of all i went into properties, and i went to compatibility, then run in compatibility with Windows 200 - didn't work, so i tried it with run in compatibility with (98/me), and hey presto, it installes

just thought i would share this with u lot, as u might have the same issues

Conrad
OR you can use the console version
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 10th November, 2001, 01:09 AM

errr Phiber, i am using the console u berk.
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 14th November, 2001, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to SEiZe Send a message via Yahoo to SEiZe

Just d/led the file and am starting to fold for the first time. I have a T-bird 900 w/ 512MB not doing anything. So i thought that I would give it a try.
Old 14th November, 2001, 06:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by SEiZe
Just d/led the file and am starting to fold for the first time. I have a T-bird 900 w/ 512MB not doing anything. So i thought that I would give it a try.
Woohoo, another folder! You are very welcome on our team dude!
Old 24th December, 2001, 05:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

First post and just dl/ed the software and am folding as we speak on my other computer.
Old 24th December, 2001, 02:54 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
First post and just dl/ed the software and am folding as we speak on my other computer.
Thats great news, you are very welcome on the team! Fold on!
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

looks grate
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Old 24th December, 2001, 11:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Question: I am a administrator for a local private school and the computers are left on all the time. Would it be possible to use all them for folding? they are not connected to the internet yet but in two weeks they will be. There is 16 K62 500's would that be much of any help? They dont pay me but anything i say pretty much goes. They dont want the stuents to be admin anymore so they had my Mom the computer teacher there ask me to be admin.

Thanx
Old 25th December, 2001, 04:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

then 16 K3s should be good.......
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 27th December, 2001, 02:28 PM
Member/Contributer

Woohoo, are they running 24/7? They are no monsters, but they sure count! Get them up and running, and make us happy! LOL

Old 13th January, 2002, 10:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Quote:
Question: I am a administrator for a local private school and the computers are left on all the time. Would it be possible to use all them for folding? they are not connected to the internet yet but in two weeks they will be. There is 16 K62 500's would that be much of any help? They dont pay me but anything i say pretty much goes. They dont want the students to be admin anymore so they had my Mom the computer teacher there ask me to be admin.

Thanx
I would make sure that you have their explicit permission before installing anything on their computers.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 14th January, 2002, 03:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Already have permission but i am having second thoughts. The computers are take 4 days to do a wu grr is it worth it.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 14th January, 2002, 03:39 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Already have permission but i am having second thoughts. The computers are take 4 days to do a wu grr is it worth it.
If it takes 4 days, then no. There are deadlines that vary by protein, but for many its 72 hours. If those machines are on 24/7, they could probably do it in about 2 days, which would still count. With 16 machines barely meeting the deadlines, that still a lot of folding power. Maybe give it a shot with 1 or 2 machines to see how it goes for a while..

BTW, I'm assuming everything has been approved officially, of course.
Old 14th January, 2002, 03:55 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Actually, you have 96 hours. The last 24 hours are kind of unofficial hours, but WUs sent in within that period are accepted. If you have 16 machines, it's definately worth it.

Mook.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 15th January, 2002, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Hi all!
Just joined the folding team with one DELL P4 2Ghz (dedicated to folding) and one P3 500mhz..

soon to add another p4 running at least 2.1ghz..

quesition tho.. I dowloaded the console version.. is the client without the GUI really better? and can I just install over it or do I have to uninstall?
Old 15th January, 2002, 07:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

The console version is better, its supposedly faster by a decent margin. As far as intalling the console version over the GUI one, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe you have to unintall the other version first...not sure if you can keep the WU your currently working on, but you might be able to by keeping the WU file and erasing the rest. Again, this is out of my realm of expertise and some other guys would give you a more definite answer.