AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2001, 01:15 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Angry WUs not adding up

Anyone else have this problem?

Since I started folding on v2, my console displays Finished WUs on each of my machines:

#1: 24
#2: 24
#3: 9
#4: 2 (no longer folding)

Yet I only have credit for 54 WUs!!!
24+24+9+2 = 59.

All my machines were configured once, and I can't think of a reasonable reason why this is happening to me.

I'm losing credit somewhere, and it's really annoying me.

SteveI.
Old 27th October, 2001, 01:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I've had a few WU's that I got no credit for as well, but I'm not too worried about it, as it is a server side issue that is probably remedied by now . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:01 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I don't know what's happening with mine either. I mean, shouldn't those 20 XP machines I bought have taken me to the top by now, right phiber (inside joke)

Really though, I have no idea if I'm getting credit or not and really don't care as long as stanford can still use my WU's.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:25 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I guess you guys are right. I noticed the first "leak" on the second day of folding, and may have lost the others soon after I guess. Hopefully, they are being used, and not reeally getting lost.

Oh well, since I am getting set to upgrade boxes tomorrow, I'll have to reinstall so I won't be able to add 'em up anymore, which is good if you know what I mean.... best not to worry 'bout those things anyway.

I got the ECS board. Also noticed the price dropped to $57 go figure. Almost ready to start the build... even have 4 fan covers to start my first case mod. My wife won't let me work on it tonite tho . Oh well, first thing in the morning, sigh.

BTW, anyone ever try using one of those thingies that make a hole for doorknobs for case mods? I'm thinking of picking one up to give it a shot. I think it works as a drill bit attachment.

SteveI.
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I got the ECS board. Also noticed the price dropped to $57 go figure. Almost ready to start the build... even have 4 fan covers to start my first case mod. My wife won't let me work on it tonite tho . Oh well, first thing in the morning, sigh.
*picturing Steve sneaking down the steps at 4AM like an 8 year old on Christmas mourning*

Mrs. Steve: Steve hun, what are you doing?
SteveI: Nothing . . . I'm just . . ah . . getting a glass of water . . .
Mrs. Steve: Is that a drill I hear?
SteveI: Ah . . . no, it's that damn dish washer again! I'll try and fix it in the mourning.

LOL

Quote:
BTW, anyone ever try using one of those thingies that make a hole for doorknobs for case mods? I'm thinking of picking one up to give it a shot. I think it works as a drill bit attachment.
You mean a hole saw? Yes they work pretty good. I prefer a carbide in a fly cutter, running on a verticle mill, myself. But hey, we don't all work in a machine shop . . . .

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 27th October, 2001 at 02:44 AM.
Old 27th October, 2001, 02:57 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
You mean a hole saw? Yes they work pretty good. I prefer a carbide in a fly cutter, running on a verticle mill, myself. But hey, we don't all work in a machine shop . . . .
Duh, a hole saw, that's it. Why do they have to come up with these weird names, anyway...lol.

Don't tempt me... I'm already lining up all the spare parts, and picturing what I need to do.

Need to pick up a hole saw, sand paper (of different grits) ,and I'll need a defogger repair kit....

One last question for you Jeff. I salvaged a 8cm fan from an old AT PSU. It's a DC12v 0.16A brushless Panaflo (very old) but sturdy looking. Wires coming out are blue and red.. I have a 4pin connector I can attach to it (red, black, black, yellow). How should it connect?

SteveI.
Old 27th October, 2001, 04:03 AM

Connect the fan's red wire to the PSU's yellow wire. Connect the fan's blue wire to either of the PSU's black wires, they are both just grounds.

What ever you do, don't cut the green wire! . . . . Cause if you do your PC won't start

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 27th October, 2001 at 04:06 AM.
Old 27th October, 2001, 04:18 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Connect the fan's red wire to the PSU's yellow wire. Connect the fan's blue wire to either of the PSU's black wires, they are both just grounds.

What ever you do, don't cut the green wire! . . . . Cause if you do your PC won't start
Thanks,
So from the PSU, the yellow wire is 12v, the red is 5, and the black is ground, right?

SteveI.
Old 27th October, 2001, 04:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveI
So from the PSU, the yellow wire is 12v, the red is 5, and the black is ground, right?p/quote]Yup. And purple is usually 9V and orange is usually 3.3V.
Quote:
I have a WBK38 with the infamous delta I may decide to use....now, bout that 7v mod?
For the 7v "mod", all you do is hook the fan's ground wire, usually black, to the PSU's +5v wire which is red. And connect the fan's positive wire, usually red or yellow, to the PSU's +12v wire which is yellow.

Since voltage is comparable to pressure in the since that it is a "force", it works off of the differential.

(+12)+0=+12
(+12)+(+5)=+7

Got that?

AOA Team fah
Old 27th October, 2001, 04:30 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Since voltage is comparable to pressure in the since that it is a "force", it works off of the differential.[/B]
Cool. I never knew that.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 27th October, 2001, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

Cool. I never knew that.
Yup, the actual definition of voltage is:

Voltage n.

Electromotive force or potential difference, usually expressed in volts.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th October, 2001, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Duh, a hole saw, that's it. Why do they have to come up with these weird names, anyway...lol.

Don't tempt me... I'm already lining up all the spare parts, and picturing what I need to do.

Need to pick up a hole saw, sand paper (of different grits) ,and I'll need a defogger repair kit....

One last question for you Jeff. I salvaged a 8cm fan from an old AT PSU. It's a DC12v 0.16A brushless Panaflo (very old) but sturdy looking. Wires coming out are blue and red.. I have a 4pin connector I can attach to it (red, black, black, yellow). How should it connect?

SteveI.

Steve.. I have always had better luck on case mods with a "nibbler"... (you can get one from the Shack...)

Best money I ever spent... LOTS of control, no power tools, very easy to use, "clean" looking results... What more could you ask for? Besides time to work

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 27th October, 2001, 06:05 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Got that?
Got it...I'm amazed, but I got it... it's been 15 years since I took physics, but it's coming back.

I can't believe I've managed to build and upgrade PCs for 12-13 years without using basic electrical know how. Scary ain't it?

You da man Jeff!!
Thanks a ton... I think I'm all set.
Time to hit the sack. g'nite.
SteveI.