AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/19-thunderrds-aoa-folding-home-team/)
-   -   Victim of my own stupidity (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/thunderrds-aoa-folding-home-team/8015-victim-of-my-own-stupidity.html)

SteveI 3rd August, 2002 04:43 AM

Victim of my own stupidity

There's a lightning storm going on..
About a third of the machines folding for me are going down for a while. I'm so pissed!!! One of my machine went down, XP1520, and I think the mobo blew. I tried swapping the cpu with the duron rig... and the XP was still alive, but I shut it down. It's either the mobo, PSU, or the RAM.... I've got a spare PSU, and the only other DDR system is the one I'm typing on.... This one has a strong backup but I'll be shutting this down as well... Hopefully, I'll get most of my machines back up in the morning. Not worth the risk of leaving anything on.

Good night...

robbie 3rd August, 2002 04:59 AM

Oh man that got's to suck. It's best that you lose a couple of WU (well more like 100-200 for you!!!) Then lose a few systems. Did you see the Mod that I did to my ECS??
Rob

dimmreaper 3rd August, 2002 06:16 AM

I just leave mine on when the lightning is flying, that's what insurance is for . . .

SteveI 3rd August, 2002 02:09 PM

Well, the good news is, I got 5.6 ghz back on line. The bad news is it used to be 7ghz.

I replaced the video card, the memory, the cpu, and the PSU. No dice. The only thing I didn't swap was the mobo. Not a good sign. All components swapped did go into other systems and worked. So it's back to Newegg for another refurb... I think they have 8KHA+'s again. (work with me, I'm trying to look at the bright side.)

I worked it out so the slowest AMD, the duron, is the only one without a home, for now. My son is not going to be thrilled.

Dimm... what kind of insurance? It's not worth it with my HO policy, $500 deductible.

SteveI 3rd August, 2002 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by robbie
Oh man that got's to suck. It's best that you lose a couple of WU (well more like 100-200 for you!!!) Then lose a few systems. Did you see the Mod that I did to my ECS??
Rob

Probably more like 15-20.. not that bad, since it was only down for about 12 hours.

I saw the mods, looks cool. I was thinking about similar stuff for my ECS... Things get hot in the case, but I'm going to take a different approach... I'm using a volcano7, and it spins fast due to high case temps... So I'm gonna cut a hole on the side and blow air in directly over the cpu. Anyway, it's going to have to wait until I get my son's back up again. Plus I have 3 pc's in pieces, that are going to different people. I've been meaning to start on those for a while now. There should be 2 usable machines from all the parts. ;)

dimmreaper 3rd August, 2002 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveI
Dimm... what kind of insurance? It's not worth it with my HO policy, $500 deductible.
It would be renters insurance in my case, my deductible is only $100, and I'd make sure all the other PCs went up too along with the TV and the microwave :evil:

kat 4th August, 2002 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
It would be renters insurance in my case, my deductible is only $100, and I'd make sure all the other PCs went up too along with the TV and the microwave :evil:
maybe i should look at my policy ...i could use a new tv:devil:

drow_elf 4th August, 2002 01:10 AM

grab some of those surge protectors that have $5,000 insurance on em i think theyre like $20 (or less, i was just at lowes)

Southern Man 4th August, 2002 09:38 AM

We've been having a lot of electrical storms here as well. I bring it all down when this happens. No need to risk loosing any equipment. They usually speed by in an hour or so and I'm back up and folding. The one nice thing about where I am right now is that I'm on the same circuit as the church up the street. The church is a storm shelter so they get immediate attention when the power is off. When Hugo came through here 12 or so years ago, most of Columbia was without power for 3-5 days. This house had power within hours of daybreak the next morning. Where I was living at the time we were without for about 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

SteveI 4th August, 2002 03:11 PM

Conincidentally, the last mobo that died unexpectedly was also my son's. The outlet is very close to the fuse box, and The surge protector is a cheapo. before I replace the machine, I'm buying a good surge protector with one of those insurance/guarantees and I'm gonna 'pre-fill' out the card just in case.

Daniel ~ 4th August, 2002 11:57 PM

Why chance futher harm, shut down and live to post another day!":O}

robbie 5th August, 2002 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
Ya know if you place a claim twice in 10 years chances are your GOING TO GET DROPPED!!! So crank up your deductalbe and DON'T claim friviles things.

I hate to be the heavy, but it does effect everyone. But if you up your deductable your monthly payment will drop.

Rob

And yes I'm ALL about getting some money back from those RAT B@STAJIS.

Jazz 5th August, 2002 01:12 PM

Ups. Ended my surge problems dead in their tracks.

SteveI 5th August, 2002 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz
Ups. Ended my surge problems dead in their tracks.
My main machine has one.. works great. I'm not even thinking about getting 1/2 a dozen more tho.

SteveI 19th August, 2002 01:29 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought a UPS @staples. I hope I never find out if I need it.

mookydooky 19th August, 2002 01:58 PM

Lightning hit my neighbor's tree on Sat. and killed my cable modem. Everything at my house has been down since.

EDIT: It apparently also killed one of my NICs. Normally that wouldn't be a problem since I have extra ones, but it's the NIC that my RR account is linked to and it reads that particular NIC's MAC address. Stupid Netgear router doesn't let you manually enter a spoofed MAC address, it only reads one of the NICs. Had to wait on hold for almost an hour just to get my stupid MAC address changed. At least they gave me a new modem to replace the fried one and it looks like everything's back online.