AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2009, 02:45 PM

Post Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!

If you've used PerfectDisk before, then you know how well it works with Windows operating systems & that its a "Must Have" program!

More on PerfectDisk 10 Professional...

Raxco is scheduled the new release of PerfectDisk 10 on Tues Jan 27th!
Now, IF you don't want to wait for the download to become available & Windows 7 to be defragged with it now, then use the download link below.

I know this isn't an Illegal link as I got to it via through my Firefox browser from the PerfectDisk site!
(If you look in the link, you'll see pub/download in the address!)
I just fooled around with the link until it worked for the download...LOL
I've already tested & ran it and it works great with W7!
Nice to have W7 running & booting up even faster!!!
Mind you, this is a 30 day trial until you buy it, but it is a fully functional trial!

Also, this is more a less a Beta (Release Candidate) for PerfectDisk 10 as the final release of Windows 7 isn't done yet but when it is, PerfectDisk will update the program with an Update patch for the final version of Windows 7! The current PerfectDisk 10 build is 93.

PerfectDisk 10 Professional Download
Attached Thumbnails
Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-perfectdisk-10-100-defrag-.jpg.jpg
Views:	18480
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	23594   Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-perfectdisk-10-statistics-.jpg.jpg
Views:	1462
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	23595   Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-hd-tach-hard-drive-speed-readings.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 25th January, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2009, 04:26 PM

i have never used this program, i always used the windows builtin defragmenter.

do you have to choose any special settings when you run it?

i may download it to try it.
Old 24th January, 2009, 04:50 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMar22 View Post
i have never used this program, i always used the windows builtin defragmenter.

do you have to choose any special settings when you run it?

i may download it to try it.
PerfectDisk IMO is the BEST defragmentation software you can buy for Windows!!!
So yes, try this out! You're going to love it!!!
Most defragmenters just throw the files in the first open block available, but not PerfectDisk!
It puts your files exactly where they need to go for optimal speed of the Data!

Settings "I" use for best HD performance & defragmenting!
Right click the drive you want to change for individual settings in drive properties & take the 0 off so it's 3 & 6 instead of 30 & 60 days. (image 0)

On Offline defrag; IF you move the pagefile to another drive (Like I did) the uncheck that box. (image 1)
Offline defragmenting is defragging the systems files & folders for optimum performance. With the built in defragger you can't do this!

Make sure this is the first defrag you do!!! Offline boot defrag!
(Rightclick the drive & choose System Files, then reboot)
Then do a regular defrag on the drive.

Also look at the screenshot above at the drive map.
Do you see where all the boot files (Purple blocks) are located?
Yep, that's right...they are the very first files that are read by your OS partition! This makes for very fast boot times!
Windows 7 boots up in 18 seconds for me.

1. Use Smart Placement Defrag

2. In PerfectDisk Settings in System's Resource Priority tab choose Above Normal for Priority.
This will use the CPU more & make for faster analyzing of the fragmentation.

Also Make Sure to defragment your Games partition with this program!!!
Your games (as well as levels) will load twice as fast as they did before!

These are my HD speed readings after using PerfectDisk 10...HD Tach
(My OS partition is in the first 40Gbs of the drive, so it averages about 73 mbs sequential )
Attached Thumbnails
Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-image-0.jpg   Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-image-1.jpg   Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-hd-tach-hard-drive-speed-readings.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 24th January, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2009, 10:40 PM

thanks, it looks much nicer now.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-untitled.png  
Old 25th January, 2009, 04:07 PM

Arrow

Quote:
thanks, it looks much nicer now.
You are quite welcome there MightyMar!
Hey, whenever possible you should move your pagefile over to your second drive if it's as fast as the OS drive.
Why? Because you will have faster data access times & less wear & tear on the hard drives as well.
I partitioned off 4 gbs on my second drive (first partition F) just for the pagefile & turned it off on the OS partition as there's no need for it there.
I use this Pagefile partition for all 3 OS I run.

Mind you, I created these partitions using Acronis Disk Director Suite using the XP OS & not Windows 7.
I've read there's problems using this program in Windows 7 & it corrupting system files.
You don't need this program to move the pagefile though...you use the OS.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-acronis-disk-director-suite.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 25th January, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 25th January, 2009, 11:38 PM

good catch!. i don't know why that is anabled again since i had disabled the paging file before. I don't think i'll need the page file but just enabled it on my temp drive just in case. my temp drive is part of the same volume as my os. i have a raid 0 of 4 disks. i think that would work ok.

as far a Acronis, i don't know about disk director but i know True Image works fine.

thanks again.

Last edited by MightyMar22; 25th January, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 27th January, 2009, 02:09 PM

Post PerfectDisk 10 Public Release today

PerfectDisk 10 has now been officially release for those that want to buy it!

Raxco Software’s PerfectDisk Supports Windows 7
New version of award-winning disk defragmenter running now on new Microsoft® OS

GAITHERSBURG, MD – January 13, 2009 – Raxco Software, the leader in disk defragmentation software, announced today that PerfectDisk® 10, the latest version of its award-winning defrag product that will be released later this month, provides support for Windows® 7. This support continues PerfectDisk’s longstanding tradition of early support for Microsoft’s latest offerings.

PerfectDisk maintains Microsoft’s current certifications, including Windows Vista® and Windows Server® 2008. Because Windows 7 is currently still in Beta test, Microsoft® does not yet provide a certification program for Windows 7. When that certification process is available, PerfectDisk will be certified by the Microsoft certification team.

“Defragmentation remains critical to achieving optimal performance in Windows 7, just as it has in all previous Windows operating systems,” said Greg Hayes, manager of technical solutions at Raxco Software. “As usual, PerfectDisk is at the forefront of providing robust, yet easy-to-use solutions for Microsoft’s latest offerings. We are
happy to be able to provide support for the millions of Windows 7 Beta users with PerfectDisk 10.”

New feature highlights of the existing PerfectDisk product line include:

• Support for Windows® 7
• An improved user interface to enhance usability and the user experience
• New StealthPatrol™ automatic background defragmentation with intelligent self-adjustment to conserver resources
• Improved performance – up to 30% faster defragmentation and free space consolidation
• Exclusive new Space Management reports that provide graphical views of disk drive file and folder information
• New unlimited Pause capability
• New scheduling capabilities for VMware Workstation and VMware Server virtual guest machines

Last edited by MUff1N; 27th January, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 31st January, 2009, 01:47 PM

question

Muffin,
after running perfect disk, i have noticed that after boot my IE doesn't work for about a minute or more. do you know what could be causing this?

I also followed your suggestions about disabling the feedback link from the windows and something else i saw on that same post but i forgot.

I am not pointing fingers but just wondering if this is expected or if you or anyone else knows whats going on.

in the mean time, ill do a defrag with the windows util to see if i make progress.
Old 31st January, 2009, 03:03 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Muffin,
after running perfect disk, i have noticed that after boot my IE doesn't work for about a minute or more. do you know what could be causing this?
Not sure exactly what's causing that but it's not PerfectDisk 10.
Sounds to me like you got a driver conflict on the IE as I don't have that problem at all.
The only thing PD did for me was make my system even faster!

Old 31st January, 2009, 04:14 PM

yeah, i don't think thats the problem either but just wondering. this only happens after a reboot. once the page finally loads up it works fine there after.
Old 1st February, 2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
yeah, i don't think thats the problem either but just wondering. this only happens after a reboot. once the page finally loads up it works fine there after.
I tested this out on my system & this just isn't happening at all to me.
Load up time for IE after a reboot was only a second or less.
What does take a few more seconds in the webpage loading, but that's because I got a real crappy ISP, but they are the ony game in town here.
They call High Speed Internet 512/1000kbs....

You're problem has to be with a service or driver conflict.
What exactly is causing it will take more of an investigation...
To checkout how things have been going on your system & to see the report & graphed do this.

Go to the Action Center & look at the Reliability Monitor & report...
This will show you tons of info...
As you see I shut this off about 3 weeks back as this sends info to MS with Report on everything that happens on your computer...
Way Too Invasive for me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally PerfectDisk 10 for Windows 7!-image-1.jpg  

Old 12th January, 2010, 12:24 AM

MUff1N, how will I go on about properly setting up a page file partition like you have?
Old 12th January, 2010, 02:22 PM

Smile Welcome to the AOA forums zerkai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkai View Post
MUff1N, how will I go on about properly setting up a page file partition like you have?
First things first...introductions.
Hi zerkai & welcome to the AOA forums!
You'll find a wealth of information here on just about anything & there's really good people here to help!

zerkai, I need some basic info before I can help you OK.

What operating system are you running & do you know how to create a partition?
(I need to know this for the steps that will be taken to get this done)

Also, how many hard drives does your system have & how much memory (Physical RAM) is installed on your motherboard.
This is important for setting up the partition for the pagefile area & setting the amount of virtual memory to be used aka pagefile.

Once I know this info we can continue...

Once again Wecome to AOA zerkai!

Last edited by MUff1N; 12th January, 2010 at 06:09 PM.