AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th May, 2010, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

Video driver has failed and recovered constantly. ATI Radeon 3450 here

I just installed windows7 to test it out, I really want to go windows 7 full time but it keeps on doing one of those "Video drivers have failed & recovered" message at the bottom and the screen flickers a few times, the pc also sorta freezes up during this time.

Does anyone know a fix? i did a web search and saw a lot of people with the same problem with no fix.. and this was recent threads too like in April of this year (2010)

I like ubuntu but the only problem I have with ubuntu is that I cannot get H.264 HD movies to run using hardware acceleration.. so I want to go back to windows.

my system spec is:

AMD athlon 2800 xp Barton 32 bit.
ATI Radeon 3450 AGP WITH the newest Catalyist drivers like 10.4 or whatever

Last edited by Vash; 6th May, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2010, 03:40 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I just installed windows7 to test it out, I really want to go windows 7 full time but it keeps on doing one of those "Video drivers have failed & recovered" message at the bottom and the screen flickers a few times, the pc also sorta freezes up during this time.

Does anyone know a fix? i did a web search and saw a lot of people with the same problem with no fix.. and this was recent threads too like in April of this year (2010)

I like ubuntu but the only problem I have with ubuntu is that I cannot get H.264 HD movies to run using hardware acceleration.. so I want to go back to windows.

my system spec is:

AMD athlon 2800 xp Barton 32 bit.
ATI Radeon 3450 AGP WITH the newest Catalyist drivers like 10.4 or whatever
When this happens to me playing certain games (differs game to game) with my graphics card overclocked it's because a setting is too high, aka core, or memory clocks.
So I just reduce it by 5MHz or so & it usually makes it stop.

Now if this is a problem that is happening all the time even when you are not playing, or the card isn't even being clocked higher then it might be driver conflicts...

One other point...
Make SURE to clean out all of the ATi graphics drivers that come with the OS as some of those old drivers can cause stability problems that are fixed with the newer driver releases.

I use Guru3D - Driver Sweeper for this & you can download that here...
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

Hope this helps...

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 2nd June, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2010, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vash

back home for a few days.. going to give these new drivers another try, this time 10.6 iam posting this update as a record to which drivers i have tried out.

i am running the graphics card clocks at its STOCK default clocks.. we'll see what happens. but yeah it seems to be giving me problems OUTSIDE of game play..you think i should downclock the memory from its default speed?

Last edited by Vash; 3rd July, 2010 at 04:46 PM.