AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2011, 11:07 AM

Question Windows 7 64 bit Memory Requirements

The Windows 7 system requirements state 2GB of memory for the 64bit version, but is that enough? Why does it need more than the 32bit version?

I'm asking all these questions about memory because my dell came with 1GB, but Windows only shows 896MB. When I ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor, it griped because I didn't have "enough" ram. So I thought I'd upgrade to 2GB of ram. Did that, and now only shows 1.8-1.9GB. Apparently some memory is reserved or something with the video, but I'm not sure how all that works.

So does this mean I can only use the 32bit version, or can I go by the fact that I have 2 physical sticks installed in the system?
Old 23rd February, 2011, 01:14 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_tweak_it View Post
The Windows 7 system requirements state 2GB of memory for the 64bit version, but is that enough? Why does it need more than the 32bit version?

I'm asking all these questions about memory because my dell came with 1GB, but Windows only shows 896MB. When I ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor, it griped because I didn't have "enough" ram. So I thought I'd upgrade to 2GB of ram. Did that, and now only shows 1.8-1.9GB. Apparently some memory is reserved or something with the video, but I'm not sure how all that works.

So does this mean I can only use the 32bit version, or can I go by the fact that I have 2 physical sticks installed in the system?
Windows 7 x64 will run with 2Gbs of installed memory just fine, but if you want to game on the system you will need more such as 4Gbs.
This is to accommodate the OS, prefetch, etc & still have plenty left over for programs & such.
But from what you are describing you are using the "onboard" graphics adapter which is using your memory so gaming would be out of the question anyways.
But yea, W7 x64 will run just fine on 2Gbs but its just enough with not much to spare.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2011, 02:18 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Problem is, for windows to see 4 full Gigs memory, you have to run a 64-bit system, otherwise it can only use a little more than 3G.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2011, 09:24 PM
AOA Staff

The main benefit of 64-bit Windows is that it can use more than ~3GB of system RAM.

You may be better off using the 32-bit version, until you get more memory.
Old 20th May, 2011, 09:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Some smart phones use 8Gb or more. Kind of humbling to us PC drivers.
Old 20th May, 2011, 11:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Correction: they don't USE 8 GB. They come with 8 GB or more of STORAGE (i.e. FLASH).

My Evo is one of the most powerfull smartphones out right now, and it only has 512 MB of RAM, although it has 1 GB of ROM and 8 GB of FLASH.

Last edited by Gizmo; 20th May, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 21st May, 2011, 08:56 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Not sure the original question was answered:

Most laptops and some desktops with embedded graphics cards don't have dedicated graphics memory, but instead reserve part of the system memory for the graphics card. If you have one of these systems and that system has, say, a 256MB graphics card, the memory available to windows is <installed memory> minus 256MB. So you have 1GB... 1GB - 256MB = about 1.8GB.

Your machine is still limited by hardware how much memory it can take. If your computer is able to accept >4GB of memory, you will be able to use all of it (though the graphics card will still have its 256MB).
Old 22nd May, 2011, 02:22 AM
AOA Staff

It's possible his video adapter uses system memory dynamically.

My laptop video has 512MB of dedicated video memory, plus it can take system memory as needed.

Tags
ddr2 , dell vostro , windows 7