AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd June, 2012, 06:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just watched windows 7 shut down...??

I'm watching Asus tech sell his wares on U-tube and he wants to demo the new BIOS on my board, so he shuts down W 7...and we wait....and we wait...it took so long I went back and timed it!

From 8:04 to approx (Close) 9:20 that's a minute and 15 seconds to shut down... I can boot twice in that time!! What's up with Windoze and shutting down, didn't take anything like that in 2000 pro as I recall...? Is this typical?

As much as I hate to make comparisons (LOL)

Mint shuts down in around 5 seconds... I'll confirm that after I post...Hey I never timed it! ":O}

OK I timed Mint 13 Cinnamon, boots in just under 10 seconds (That's from the Linux choice menu as to which version you want to boot, just under 10 seconds to fully functional desktop. ( I'm not counting the time it takes to load the BIOS and various third-party disk controllers, just the OS.)

BTW they have a faster chip than I do...by far...Mint shuts dow, without closing Music app, Firefox or Thunderbird, Mint shuts down everything properly in exactly 5 seconds...

So what's up with Windozs 7 shut down.

P.S

I suspend in 2 seconds and awake in 5 seconds, maybe 6 seconds (I'm doing the old "one thousand one, one thousand two and trying to be honest! ":O}

I think this will be MORE than accuret enough to get a good compairson to ( The OS I can't bring myself to name even in it's own topic)
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 24th June, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd June, 2012, 06:26 PM
AOA Staff

Video:
Old 23rd June, 2012, 07:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I'm watching Asus tech sell his wares on U-tube and he wants to demo the new BIOS on my board, so he shuts down W 7...and we wait....and we wait...it took so long I went back and timed it!

From 8:04 to approx (Close) 9:20 that's a minute and 15 seconds to shut down... I can boot twice in that time!! What's up with Windoze and shutting down, didn't take anything like that in 2000 pro as I recall...? Is this typical?
Much as I like to pick on MS and Windows, this sort of thing is typically an issue with a poorly written driver that is waiting for some kind of timeout, and not actually Windows itself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd June, 2012, 10:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
I suspend in 2 seconds and awake in 5 seconds, maybe 6 seconds (I'm doing the old "one thousand one, one thousand two and trying to be honest! ":O}
My Win 7 machine takes about 33 seconds to sleep and 5 seconds to wake (timed). However, I also know that if there's a power cut my machine still restores happily from sleep.
Old 23rd June, 2012, 10:57 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

my laptop goes to sleep when the I close the lid and comes back in a few seconds after I open it. Takes another 3 or 4 secs to enable the wifi and connect the apps then its on full speed. Before W7 I used Vista Pro 64 on my desktop and bwoy it was kicking ass. The setup was amazing and I am going to miss that PC until I will get a new one. Till then Mass Effect 3 on my XBOX is running smoothly and I can't ask for more.

Linucs is OK but gimme a pc with linucs (oh god! ) on it and I will make it work like hell in about 10 minutes after installing various programs on it. Should I mention that it won't even be able to play music without interruption?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 23rd June, 2012, 11:03 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Much as I like to pick on MS and Windows, this sort of thing is typically an issue with a poorly written driver that is waiting for some kind of timeout, and not actually Windows itself.
Many times at shutdown a nonresponsive program (yahoo trying to logoff or a software that is updating itself in background for example) can delay the OS.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 24th June, 2012, 06:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
My Win 7 machine takes about 33 seconds to sleep and 5 seconds to wake (timed). However, I also know that if there's a power cut my machine still restores happily from sleep.
I put her to sleep in Mint, then decided to change drives and shut down,...when I booted expecting to see the new drive there was the completely disconnected drive she booted, all the way up! Of course when I asked it to do something it feaked abit... I mean it had showed up without it's hardrive!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th June, 2012, 07:01 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Many times at shutdown a nonresponsive program (yahoo trying to logoff or a software that is updating itself in background for example) can delay the OS.
I could barely bring myself to belive this when Gizmo said it....but he did say it, so I guess Windoz shuts down OK...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th June, 2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I put her to sleep in Mint, then decided to change drives and shut down,...when I booted expecting to see the new drive there was the completely disconnected drive she booted, all the way up! Of course when I asked it to do something it feaked abit... I mean it had showed up without it's hardrive!
Yeah, all your stuff is stored in RAM, so if the power goes out whilst the machine is asleep then you lose it. I'd have hoped that Linux would have checked that any hardware change was survivable when resuming from sleep rather than just running on old information and hoping.
Old 24th June, 2012, 01:38 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

My WIn7/64 machine shuts down to power-off in about 6 seconds, and boots to desktop from the red button being pressed in around 21 (that is on SSD). My Gentoo box beats it cleanly, (with the exception of fsck boots), but I am not unhappy with Win7 boot/shutdown performance.

Both of the mentioned machines are on the hardware listed below.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 24th June, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24th June, 2012, 05:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
with linucs (oh god! ) on it and I will make it work like hell in about 10 minutes after installing various programs on it. Should I mention that it won't even be able to play music without interruption?
Yeah, I can do the same thing to a PC running Windows. You had a point?

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th June, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 24th June, 2012, 05:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Yeah, all your stuff is stored in RAM, so if the power goes out whilst the machine is asleep then you lose it. I'd have hoped that Linux would have checked that any hardware change was survivable when resuming from sleep rather than just running on old information and hoping.
You can bet it had me checking my connections trying to understand how this COULD happen, then it hit me, I just started taking advantage of Sleep mode, I'm booting to Ram... But I had a few very interesting moments on my way to understanding...The phraze "But that's impossible" kept coming to mind as I fondled to connections to the disconnected drive":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 24th June, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 24th June, 2012, 05:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks guys for the information, I was just really hoping Windoze well and truly sucked.

But if you have to use it, I guess it's OK that it doesn't...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 24th June, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 24th June, 2012, 10:30 PM

Wink

My system shuts down & starts back up pretty quick for old tech...
If you're running Windows OS you can check yours out using the scrip I attached.
Attached Thumbnails
I just watched windows 7 shut down...??-windows-7-ultimate-x64-restart-time.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: rar Restart-Time.rar (609 Bytes, 19 views)

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 25th June, 2012, 01:54 AM
Benchmarker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Yeah, I can do the same thing to a PC running Windows. You had a point?
Of course I have a point, the ideea is that behind every OS there is a jungle. Users often complain about their PC's being slow, no matter what OS they use. Most of them have no ideea how to clear the startup sequence of unwanted junk or how to adjust the OS so that the shut down will be as fast as possible. Many times even ppl who use the PC and know a few things about OS and software will reinstall the OS rather than fixing the problems, thinking "all is well"....until they reinstall a "couple" of programs.

Last edited by chrisbard; 25th June, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 25th June, 2012, 04:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You have to do all that? All by yourself? Doesn't your OS do anything?

About all I have to know in Mint to how to spell my name the same way...every....time, (Mint leaves no room for creativity here! If you pretend to forget....She pretends it's not you!!)

Mint pretty much does the rest...Chris! Your over worked, chill Dude, have a mint! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th June, 2012, 02:04 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
You have to do all that? All by yourself? Doesn't your OS do anything?
hahaha, a lot more than what u can do with linucs, enjoy compression and shake compensation with windows live movie maker

Airbus A-380 taking off @ Manchester Airport - YouTube

Old 25th June, 2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
hahaha, a lot more than what u can do with linucs, enjoy compression and shake compensation with windows live movie maker
What, like vid.stab doing transcoding and image stabilisation like this: Demontration of deshaking a cycling movie - YouTube. I'd argue the result looks better than Windows live movie maker too (although I haven't seen your source).
Old 25th June, 2012, 06:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dear Chris, the point is it does what I want it to do!

You should have said Mint lacks all the cool visual graphic benchmarks windows bench monkeys get to play with. Then You would have made me cry. Because it's just to awfully true.

But I'm hoping my friends will help me to just maybe, change that...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 27th June, 2012, 05:50 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
Dear Chris, you should have said Mint lacks all the ingredients that we can find in Colgate or Pepsodent that monkeys get to play with. Then You would have made me cry. Because it's just to awfully true.
There is nothing special about mint, just another toothpaste Daniel!