AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July, 2012, 01:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

All this after a reinstall

So I was about to throw my laptop out the window, UGGGGG!!! So tired of waiting forever to get past the welcome screen that I would usually just put the thing to sleep and let it recover from that. I hated having to reboot it, because sometime (usually often but not all the time) it would get stuck at the welcome screen.

After some reading I come to find that it's kinda a common thing with Win7 and to maybe try and change a couple of settings to see if that fixes it. Nope, not for me anyways. Also it would run pretty hot and that battery didn't seem to last that long. I think it was set to performace rather than laptop mode in the power save settings (but I never checked it)

Anyways, a reinstalled has seemed to fix all my issue's. The battery lasts a LONG time now, I was surprised. I was sitting on the couch doing a little surfing and watching a little TV last night and after a while I checked and the battery indicator barely moved!!! WOW

So basically I just wanted to post this for anyone out there that might have the same problem as I and what I did about it. Window's 7 doesn't take even half as long as Window's XP to reinstall. XP has TONS and I MEAN TONS of updates you have to do. Expect to spend at least a couple hours of updating. 7 seemed to do it in about an hour. It has an HDMI port on it which is one of the reasons I got it to hook it up too our TV and watch Netflix. (works very well this way)

Happy clocking guys and gals.

**edit**
Oops forgot to mention it's an Acer Aspire laptop model 5552
AMD Athlon II X2 P340
15 inch led screen
250 gig drive
ATI HD 4250
4 gigs of ram and a 6 cell battery and wifi.

I got a sweet deal at a local pawn shop I usually go to, only $200.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 3rd July, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2012, 10:08 PM
AOA Staff

Like they say, most broken stuff isn't so broken!
Old 4th July, 2012, 05:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Tasty code is always best served fresh!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2012, 06:18 PM

Also it might have needed some cleaning. When a RAM chip gets dirty, or the built-in cooler becomes clogged it heats up a lot faster and causes the computer to lag and reboot by itself, sometimes accompanied by a scary blue screen