AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Windows 7

Windows 7 Questions and discussion related to Windows 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2013, 08:10 AM

Unable to load websites pages with Win7 install!

Greets!
I'm new to Win7 and this is an all new problem for me, though I suspect the solution is something simple. Situation is I just installed a new Win7 OS on a new Asrock motherboard and everything was going fine until I tried to access the internet. Neither Firefox20 not IE8 seems to be able to load any page except Google, in which case the normal search page opens and normal search results display. However, if I click on any of the search results, it just hangs, apparently awaiting the arrival of data from that site. It's not a lockup, it just sits there awaiting data that never arrives.

I have other computers (WinXP) on the LAN with the Win7 PC and their internet access is entirely normal, it's just this one machine that's behaving this way. When I look at the Local Area Connection Status via Control Panel, the sent and received byte counts look normal. Under Connections, IPV4 Connectivity is Internet and IPV6 is No Network Access, which I gather means there's no other Win7 machines and so no work group. Media State is Enabled and Speed is correctly reported as the switch speed 100Mbps.

Local Area Connection Properties list is:
-Client For Microsoft Networks
-QoS Packet Scheduler
-File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
-Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
-Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
-Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
-Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

If I ask the system or IE8 to connect to the internet, I'm told it's already connected. If I ask the system to diagnose, I'm told no problem found. If I ask for a map of the connected devices, it shows itself (PC name), the Gateway, the internet, and separately identifies any running WinXP machines.

If I remove and reinstall Firefox, nothing changes. What's wrong and how do I correct this? HELP

========================LATER===================== ===

Things I've tried so far without success:

Replace the LAN cable to the switch and different switch port.
Have Win7/IE8 "diagnose" the connection.
Tell Win7 to connect to the internet.
Remove and reinstall FireFox.
Turn off Windows Firewall.
Allow IE8 and FireFox20 through the Firewall.
Download the latest LAN driver from Asrock, remove the current driver, reboot, install the new driver, reboot.

Any ideas?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2013, 10:16 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

1. is the LAN light at the back of your PC on?
2. is the LAN - on in BIOS
3. have you tested the current connection with another PC to see if it's working?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
1. is the LAN light at the back of your PC on?
2. is the LAN - on in BIOS
3. have you tested the current connection with another PC to see if it's working?
Hi Chris,

1) Yes, the lights at the LAN cable interface are flashing normally.

2) Yes, the network port is enabled in the BIOS and the driver is installed. The behavior of Google indicates that internet communication is working (and Win7 asserts as much), yet for whatever reason, neither of my browsers are able to load a requested website (eg. Newegg, Amazon, Bestbuy).

3) The only way to locally connect to a Win7 PC that I'm aware of is via another Win7 PC (the Win7 connection wizard is very explicit about that). My other PC's are WinXP or Win98SE, so they are excluded.

As far as whether the other LAN PC's are working normally relative to the internet and each other, yes, they very definitely are. The Win7 machine is in a class very much to itself (which is seemingly its preference !).

I was hoping install of the most recent LAN driver downloaded from the board manufacturer would solve the problem, but no change ! Seems unlikely the board hardware would be at fault, after all, Google appears to work fine. Seems more likely a problem at the software/driver level, but I can't be sure.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 29th May, 2013, 12:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

First steps should be to identify issues from the lowest network layer upwards. You seem to have connectivity on your local network, given you can see hosts on it.

Choose a website that you know doesn't load, and try using the "nslookup" command on a command line, then try the "ping" command on the command line.

You'll get something similar, but different addresses, as Best Buy use Akamai.
Code:
c:\>nslookup www.bestbuy.com
Server:  [a.b.c.d]
Address:  a.b.c.d

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    a1105.b.akamai.net
Addresses:  82.71.193.217
Aliases:  www.bestbuy.com
          www.bestbuy.com.edgesuite.net
Next up, try using ping. Example below.
Code:
c:\>ping www.bestbuy.com

Pinging a1105.b.akamai.net [213.248.117.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 213.248.117.10: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 213.248.117.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 14ms
Now, if you get a response out of this, it suggests that your IP packets are making it to the servers and back again, suggesting that the IP layer isn't causing the problem.
Old 30th May, 2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks Aedan,

The response to the nslookup command is similar to yours, but it's followed with timeout messages.

Code:
nslookup www.bestbuy.com
Server: dslrouter
Address: 192.168.1.1

Addresses:  23.67.242.105

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
***request to www.bestbuy.com timed out***
With the ping command, I get:
Code:
ping www.bestbuy.com
Pinging a1105.b.akamai.net [23.67.242.105] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 23.67.242.105:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Just timeouts! More troubleshooting I can do?

================================= A LITTLE LATER ================================

It occurred to me I should repeat this same test on the computer I'm currently using to type this post, it's running WinXP sp2.

Code:
nslookup www.bestbuy.com
Server: dslrouter
Address: 192.168.1.1

Addresses:  23.67.242.129
No time outs reported.

Code:
ping www.bestbuy.com
Pinging a1105.b.akamai.net [23.67.242.129] with 32 bits of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 23.67.242.129:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Timeouts again. I then typed "www.bestbuy.com" into FireFox20 and it loaded immediately. However, when I pinged again, same result as before.

Went back to the Win7 machine and tried nslookup again, this time no timeouts. Tried ping again and got the identical result to my main WinXP PC. Opened Firefox and typed in "www.bestbuy.com", same old hang. Tried pinging again, same result as WinXP machine.

Went downstairs turned off the router/modem waited awhile and re-powered it -- tried both commands again on the WinXP machine, same result. Went downstairs again, turned off the router/modem, disconnected the LAN, plugged my WinXP machine adjacent the router/modem directly into it and powered both. Tried both commands with this third PC and results identical, 4 timeouts on the ping, so I brought up Firefox, typed in "www.bestbuy.com" and it came up. So what's with this ping thing? [This paragraph typed on the downstairs PC.]

================================= BACK UPSTAIRS ===========================

OK, the LAN is back together, I'm back on my main machine, and I just tried nslookup "www.google.com", worked just fine. Tried pinging it and the result remains the same -- timeouts. So, bottom line is I can't ping from behind my router/modem. It has its own firewall and so my best guess is that pings and ping responses are being blocked (ping block from the internet helps preserve PC invisibility, a ping response from the internet could perhaps also lead to exposure?). However, WinXP and Win98SE machines can load webpages just fine, so apparently ping isn't usually needed for net communication, unless Win7 is an exception?

Don't know what the deal was with those early nslookup DNS timeouts on the Win7 machine, but they haven't yet repeated. Just fired up the Win7 machine again. Went to DOS and ran nslookup and ping on "www.google.com" and the commands behaved identically to WinXP (nslookup fine, ping timeouts. I launched IE8 which immediately tried to load its "www.msn.com" home page but as usual couldn't and so just hung (I use msn.com as homepage on my other machines and it loads just fine). Typed in "www.google.com" and that came up immediately. So, at least the misbehavior appears consistent. I'd think it could be a backdoor deal with Google except that even selecting from its search results doesn't work !

Is there anything else that makes sense for me to try?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 30th May, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 31st May, 2013, 02:16 AM

Just got off the phone after near three hours of trying to get help from my ISP (Verizon) on this problem. Finally got a fellow who was able to at least help with the ping problem. After a hard router/modem reset forcing return to factory settings, ping started working again. It no longer times out on any of the LAN PCs including the Win7 build. Unfortunately, it didn't correct the browser behavior on that machine. I asked him to take me as far as he could in troubleshooting the browser problem, but that really just came down to performing a reset there as well.

So, ping now works and reports 100% success including on the Win7 machine, but the original problem still remains. I sent a long note to the board manufacturer (Asrock) earlier today and hopefully I'll get some helpful hints from that direction. In the meantime, I remain interested in anything that might help troubleshoot this problem. If you can perhaps narrow it down any further Aedan, please let me know what to do !

================================ LATER ===================================

Fired the Win7 machine up again in hope of seeing the Windows Update alert pop up as I saw it do earlier. It being able to successfully download files could also be another clue. However, instead of seeing that, Avast Antivirus announced it needs to update its files, so I said go ahead. Unfortunately, it failed and after a minute and a half announced it couldn't find the file. It's pretty hot in that upstairs room now so I just opened a window and am letting the machine run in hope of initiate Windows Update. If Windows update fails, that points directly at the Asrock board and drivers (it worked fine on the old board with Win7).

============================== MUCH LATER ================================

The Windows Update message came up and I said to check for updates. Unfortunately it was unable to access the files, and after a long delay reported what it described as being an "unknown error". It directed me to the knowledge base to learn more about it, but naturally, that requires a browser and the browsers can't load anything but Google. Seems pretty clear at this point that either the Asrock board or LAN driver is toast. Since other people use and like this board, I can only presume this board is defective and I need to replace it.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 31st May, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 31st May, 2013, 10:35 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

What ping does is send an "echo request" packet. The computer at the other end is supposed to send an "echo response" packet back when it receives the request. That doesn't always happen, as some firewalls (at the remote end) are configured to discard an echo request packet. In such a case, you'll just get timeouts.

I did check that Akamai/BestBuy respond to such requests, and I know that Google respond too.

What this demonstrates is that the Win 7 machine was able to transmit a packet to a remote machine successfully, and then the remote machine was able to reply successfully. If you were not able to get that response at all, it would suggest that all the problems are at your local end, somewhere between your internet connection and your machine.

Just a thought here - you don't have any host based firewall running on the Win 7 machine do you?
Old 31st May, 2013, 08:29 PM

All the LAN machines are running the Windows included firewall with all settings defaulted. I earlier tried turning off the Win7 firewall, but even after reboot, the problem remained. I then entered both browsers as exceptions to the firewall and again rebooted (firewall enabled), but still the problem remained. In fact, I haven't yet removed those two firewall exceptions.

Got a response from Asrock USA and they suggest I try a latest driver which isn't yet posted for general consumption. I've downloaded it and will see what happens. Given that communication obviously does exist, it would seem odd for the hardware to be truly at fault, but I've no way of knowing how much of the communications protocol has been imbedded in the hardware. If the problem is within a BIOS, I'd expect it to be updated by the driver installation package. Here's hoping this new driver fixes it.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 1st June, 2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
Got a response from Asrock USA and they suggest I try a latest driver which isn't yet posted for general consumption. I've downloaded it and will see what happens.
Hallelujah, the brand spanking new driver corrected the problem. I first checked it out pretty thoroughly in the new Win7 install, and then moved to the ported install for a verify. That's how I spell relief !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 1st June, 2013, 07:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well that brightens up my Saturday! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd June, 2013, 04:58 PM
AOA Staff

wow, I read all the posts and was hoping to suggest additional solutions, but looks like you guys have it all figured out.
Late to the party again...

Its very strange to me that it was a driver issue, but I have seen weird stuff like that before because of drivers.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial