AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Windows 7 (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/121-windows-7/)
-   -   Windows 7 64 bit Memory Requirements (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/windows-7/49666-windows-7-64-bit-memory-requirements.html)

Just_tweak_it 23rd February, 2011 11:07 AM

Windows 7 64 bit Memory Requirements

The Windows 7 system requirements state 2GB of memory for the 64bit version, but is that enough? Why does it need more than the 32bit version?

I'm asking all these questions about memory because my dell came with 1GB, but Windows only shows 896MB. When I ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor, it griped because I didn't have "enough" ram. So I thought I'd upgrade to 2GB of ram. Did that, and now only shows 1.8-1.9GB. Apparently some memory is reserved or something with the video, but I'm not sure how all that works.

So does this mean I can only use the 32bit version, or can I go by the fact that I have 2 physical sticks installed in the system?:confused:

MUff1N 23rd February, 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_tweak_it (Post 510820)
The Windows 7 system requirements state 2GB of memory for the 64bit version, but is that enough? Why does it need more than the 32bit version?

I'm asking all these questions about memory because my dell came with 1GB, but Windows only shows 896MB. When I ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor, it griped because I didn't have "enough" ram. So I thought I'd upgrade to 2GB of ram. Did that, and now only shows 1.8-1.9GB. Apparently some memory is reserved or something with the video, but I'm not sure how all that works.

So does this mean I can only use the 32bit version, or can I go by the fact that I have 2 physical sticks installed in the system?:confused:

Windows 7 x64 will run with 2Gbs of installed memory just fine, but if you want to game on the system you will need more such as 4Gbs.
This is to accommodate the OS, prefetch, etc & still have plenty left over for programs & such.
But from what you are describing you are using the "onboard" graphics adapter which is using your memory so gaming would be out of the question anyways.
But yea, W7 x64 will run just fine on 2Gbs but its just enough with not much to spare. :rolleyes:

ThunderRd 23rd February, 2011 02:18 PM

Problem is, for windows to see 4 full Gigs memory, you have to run a 64-bit system, otherwise it can only use a little more than 3G.

danrok 25th February, 2011 09:24 PM

The main benefit of 64-bit Windows is that it can use more than ~3GB of system RAM.

You may be better off using the 32-bit version, until you get more memory.

cloasters 20th May, 2011 09:24 PM

Some smart phones use 8Gb or more. Kind of humbling to us PC drivers.

Gizmo 20th May, 2011 11:08 PM

Correction: they don't USE 8 GB. They come with 8 GB or more of STORAGE (i.e. FLASH).

My Evo is one of the most powerfull smartphones out right now, and it only has 512 MB of RAM, although it has 1 GB of ROM and 8 GB of FLASH.

Kaitain 21st May, 2011 08:56 PM

Not sure the original question was answered:

Most laptops and some desktops with embedded graphics cards don't have dedicated graphics memory, but instead reserve part of the system memory for the graphics card. If you have one of these systems and that system has, say, a 256MB graphics card, the memory available to windows is <installed memory> minus 256MB. So you have 1GB... 1GB - 256MB = about 1.8GB.

Your machine is still limited by hardware how much memory it can take. If your computer is able to accept >4GB of memory, you will be able to use all of it (though the graphics card will still have its 256MB).

danrok 22nd May, 2011 02:22 AM

It's possible his video adapter uses system memory dynamically.

My laptop video has 512MB of dedicated video memory, plus it can take system memory as needed.