AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team > Windows/Linux SMP Clients

Windows/Linux SMP Clients Folding clients that can run on multiple CPUs

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 16th August, 2008, 04:00 AM

Ok I installed the client but something went wrong. Here is the txt file.

--- Opening Log file [August 16 02:46:09]

# Linux Console Edition ################################################## #####
################################################## #############################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.02

Folding@home - Main

################################################## #############################

Launch directory: /home/michael/F@H1
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -configonly

[02:46:09] Configuring Folding@Home...

User name [Anonymous]? PorPorMe
Team Number [0]? 45
Passkey []? 497
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]? no
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? no
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]? normal
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? yes
Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]? low
Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]? no
Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [15]? 15
Memory, in MB, to indicate (884 available) [884]? 884
Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced
scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]? yes
Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if
system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]? yes
Machine ID (1-16) [1]? 1

[02:50:14] - Ask before connecting: No
[02:50:14] - User name: PorPorMe (Team 45)
[02:50:14] - User ID not found locally
[02:50:14] + Requesting User ID from server
[02:50:15] - Machine ID: 1
[02:50:15]
[02:50:15] -configonly flag given, so exiting.
Terminated

I'll wait to hear from you before trying any thing else.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 16th August, 2008 at 04:01 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2008, 05:06 AM

Normal, next time around drop the configonly flag and your set
Old 16th August, 2008, 05:40 AM

Ok-it's running. One scew up. I startet it in the root terminal! I'll have to clean things up in the morn. Now, what program do I use to moniter the client?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2008, 06:04 AM

You can use fahmon, but it requires compiling from source code so you would have to install a C++ compiler (GCC) and some other libraries. It gets a little involved but if we can work on it a little at a time I can get you going.

You'll have to be patient with me as we go through the buntu apps and such, not only am I not familiar with what comes with buntu these days, but I run a pretty lean linux install on my rigs. I can do anything any multi-media center can do, I just use the GUI front ends and prefer to do most things from a terminal or through scripts I have wrote over the years.
Old 16th August, 2008, 08:16 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Porpor, if you don't mind, if you want to continue the discussion of the monitoring, please open another thread and let's keep this one on SMP.

The Linux client is a mature release client, and it handles a single-core or SMP setups. The Windows SMP client is still in beta, and that's why we need this thread clear for specific posts about it.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 16th August, 2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 16th August, 2008, 10:14 AM

Don't mind at all! I read only a few words and I knew.
Sorry. Moving.

Old 23rd August, 2008, 07:21 PM

F@H Setup guides page

Stanford has finally addressed a long standing need for some properly written setup guides for the different F@H clients. They have created a guides page and the URL is here:

Folding@home - Guide

I've read through them; there isn't any new information there but all of the various pitfalls of installation have now been collected into one place, instead of having to search through tons of posts on the community forum. I would say that they are directed at the new donor and are quite straightforward. I am familiar with the writer, he's a regular contributor at the forum and a generally helpful guy.

Everything is there, from the release clients to the Linux client to the G\PU and all of the Windows betas in all of their flavors. Check it out.

[cross-posted in the GPU thread]
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 23rd August, 2008, 11:32 PM

I was asking for something like this for AOA. Didn't get very far.

Old 23rd August, 2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
I was asking for something like this for AOA. Didn't get very far.
There wasn't any need, all the information was linked on the page you downloaded the client from..
Old 24th August, 2008, 12:02 AM

I'm not trying to be argumentative or just tryingto be right, but I do disagree. On a personal level, I found it difficult tracking down pieces of information in this thread, and others as well as F@H and having to ask when I didn't even know what to ask. Those of you that have a lot of experience still have difficulties but at least you have a basic knowledge to start with.

And if there wasn't any need, why did they do it?

The new guy does need a basic how to so he can have some basic knowledge of what he is doing and where he should go if {or when!] things don't work right. IMO

Old 24th August, 2008, 12:51 AM

I know you aren't trying to be argumentative. I also realize that information on AOA is a little tough to find, getting it all into one place would require someone to go through every post in every thread about folding and pull the information, or it would require a complete rewrite. I don't think you will find anyone with that kind of time. Best we can offer is to try to diagnose your current issue, but this requires people not giving up, being patient and not deleting what is already in place..
Old 24th August, 2008, 01:07 AM

And you are absolutely right, that is what it would take and if no one found that worth doing then thats that and I would have absolutely no problem with it. It was a suggestion i thought worth looking at. Now it's been done. Maybe it will help some new guys not get frustrated.

Old 24th August, 2008, 08:15 AM

Recently, we have done a lot to get the information organized by merging posts into applicable threads, but you still have to do plenty of homework. No one can spoon feed it because many of the clients are beta, and the information changes too rapidly to be constantly updated.

PG has the same problem we do, in spades. There has been an absence of starter guides for a reason, and that is because the changing clients have new problems all the time, and the information becomes obsolete quickly. The new page they have constructed happened because the latest [only two or three weeks old] windows smp client release has been the most problem-plagued version in memory. If you are doing your due diligence, and visiting the forum, you would be well aware of this and would not be making the statements that you are

This is the problem with beta testing, and it will not get much better until the clients are in release. The release clients all have well written guides for a long time already, as cc has said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
but this requires people not giving up, being patient and not deleting what is already in place..
Remember that! We can get you running, but bear with us, and don't go off and do it your way. I [and most everyone here] will stick with you until the bitter end but will get quickly miffed if you do things your own way We have an unwritten code that we respect the work that every folder does, no matter how large or small. Have some patience and we will help you every time. _

It's a drag to have to do the research sometimes, but unfortunately it's fact of life...sometimes there is no FM to R...lol

Last edited by ThunderRd; 25th August, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 25th August, 2008, 07:34 PM

From your side of the fence, the side that knows a lot and is trying to help, most of your points are valid, but you are failing to see another side.
I wasn't going to reply to this. I don't need the last word, or even to score points or anything like that, but there is another side that is just as valid as yours.
Some men are independent. They grow up learning that you do for your self. It's more of an attitude than it is a reality-but you do for your self until you can't, then maybe you look for another way. You don't ask for help very often.
Then comes a time where there is no choice. Asking for help is the only way but it's a trap. The more you ask for, the more you have to ask until you start to feel pretty bad about your self. Not only are you having to keep on asking, but your also feeling pretty dumb for not being able to get it. All in all, you feel pretty crappy about yourself.
It's time to quit this nonsense. It just isn't worth it. Time to move on.

Just another side of the fence.

Old 25th August, 2008, 08:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hmmm.

On the one hand..I live in a a world that desperately needs my help, so much so, it fails constantly to realize this...":O}

One the other hand I'm profoundly dyslectic, this is a layer of misperception on my part that intercedes and stands between me and most things I would be interested in learning or undertaking...

So I find myself constantly offering or asking for help....giving what I have for the help that I need...that pretty much sums up my life. It never occurred to me to feel badly about this as it is what I enjoy the most.":O}

I have the good fortune to have met and made friends here. They are as helpful as all get out.... but knowing me,,, every now and then one may feel they must say to me... Dan you lack the prerequisite understanding to approach this successfully...

Now I don't always accept this....the first day or two...":O}

Think of it as school of Martial Arts, there may be many good styles to involve one self in, but if you want instruction in Judo, then eat and sleep Judo, not Karate.... at lest not on your Judo instructors dime.":O}

T.Bird is just saying this is what we know how to teach. This is the safe path we offer our team members. There are other ways, Beta, unproven, fought with peril for the beginner. but this is the safe path, the one we know, have confidence in and can offer assurances on.

If one learns what Team AOA has to teach...one will need not have to ask for help in approaching more difficult undertakings....Yes? ":O}

Most of those undertakings are forever out of reach for me... But T. Bird isn't saying they are out of reach for you. He's saying they are out of reach for you...today.":O}

( I am COMPETELY open to all sides and stand ready for correction! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 25th August, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 25th August, 2008, 09:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Let me look this info over a little. I will se if I can grab what is needed and post it up in the FAH section. Give me a little time.
Old 25th August, 2008, 10:59 PM

I'll work on the Linux end of the deal to take some of it off your plate Sam. I'll send you a txt file within the next couple of days.

Maybe reserve a couple of the first posts or lock the thread until we have everything in place.
Old 26th August, 2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Then comes a time where there is no choice. Asking for help is the only way but it's a trap. The more you ask for, the more you have to ask until you start to feel pretty bad about your self. Not only are you having to keep on asking, but your also feeling pretty dumb for not being able to get it. All in all, you feel pretty crappy about yourself.
<snip>
It's time to quit this nonsense. It just isn't worth it.
Oh, boy.

I have a hard time believing that I said anything out of line here. I wrote what I thought would be encouraging; to let a member and fellow folder know that he always had support here-with the caveat that he follow instructions-and now half of the site is involved.

I'm in this project because of Jim, and no one else. My wife, who pays the bills around here, and my accountant, who supervises the bottom line of my businesses, have come to the understanding that I'm going to continue no matter what they say. They're right-as usual.

Speaking only for myself, and no one else:

1. I am always available, time permitting, to help any team member...or any other folder, for that matter. I believe that I have shown this many times.

2. I will never, and have never, told anyone that their goal is out of reach, either now, or later.

3. I will, and have, spent a great deal of time helping others, a majority of the time successfully.

4. I never have, and never will, have any objection to anyone's need to get help or ask questions. I am a firm believer in the unasked question being the stupid one.

5. If a team member wants to do something, and I am in a position to help(meaning I have the knowledge to help) I will continue to help until completion-if the member is willing to go slowly, follow directions, and not go off half-cocked, throwing away all the work we have already done together. I mean, if you're blind, you have to be willing to let someone else drive, no?

6. If you feel crappy about asking for help, or getting it, then you have to deal with that yourself. It's your personal Achilles heel. Get over it.

7. Just know one thing-why this place exists, and why we are all here-is to help others. I have never been annoyed at someone for needing help. OTOH, I am usually annoyed at people who ask for help, get it, and then do it their own way. They only end up getting help all over again(usually from someone else).

@Sam, cc: Perhaps making a sticky of Pande's new install instructions page I have recently posted would be a start.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 26th August, 2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 26th August, 2008, 04:33 AM

This has gotten so far out of proportion i don't know where to go. First, If I have hurt your feelings or angered you, please accept a heart felt apology. It was never my intent or thought. This whole thing started because I was trying to help. That sure backfired.
I know you were trying hard to help and I said that clearly. I also said the problem was mine and that I would come and take another crack at it at another time.
So, if you don't mind, I still want to find out if Linux folds faster than windows.[that's why i was installing it in the first place, remember?]
when I'm ready to take another crack at it, I could use some help.

How did this get this big?

Old 26th August, 2008, 07:30 AM

@Sam, re: the essential SMP posts

Take a look at this post; it may be a time-saver as far as locating the "essential" SMP information. It's not complete, but it is a start. I think that I did it while you were out of touch a little while back.

Tags
folding@home