AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team > Windows/Linux SMP Clients

Windows/Linux SMP Clients Folding clients that can run on multiple CPUs

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 28th December, 2007, 05:13 PM

Nice. I have been working on this in Linux on my main rig, everything is in place, just waiting for it to finish a WU so if something goes wrong I don't lose the points.

Currently with only one client I am going through a % at just under 7 minutes.

PS. TR, check out Weldzilla's X38 thread, we both have thrown some decent stuff in there concerning the Asus X38 and P35 offerings..
Old 28th December, 2007, 05:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This is of the Devil.....

j/k

Nice work.

You are the king..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th December, 2007, 05:43 PM

The SMP client, while developed for 4 cores does not scale well. Average load on my rig is 85% on core 0, 55% on 1 2 & 3. Finshing a % in 7 minutes while 2 cores will finish in 10 just isn't cutting it for me. I will post a guide once I start both clients and can verify that it works..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 28th December, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th December, 2007, 07:54 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Finshing a % in 7 minutes while 2 cores will finish in 10 just isn't cutting it for me.
CC:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying; could you elaborate a bit?

Also, your 7 minutes vs. my 10-11. Is it because of Linux? Or is there another reason your yield is higher? If you are doing 7 minute steps out of the box with one client that's a higher production than anyone I have heard of. It's like 3500 PPD (2 WUs) and that's awesome. Are you sure that your numbers are correct? Most folks are getting 1900-2200 PPD. I thought I was doing ok at 2100.

Or have I missed sumtin? (Most likely)
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 28th December, 2007, 08:20 PM

Linux accounts for a small part of it, but the majority is I'm clocked at 3.7 daily.

If I taskset say, 2653 to just two cores it will finish a % in 10 minutes +/- 30 secs. If I set 4 cores it takes 7 minutes. I just started up two clients and right out of the gate I pulled two 3060's so we'll see how it pans out..

I get a little boost from not starting a desktop environment when I am not going to be needing my rig. Keeps the overhead down and gives a few more cycles to f@h..

I have everything set up just the way I like it so I will use another rig for a week and just let my main rig fold it's butt off.. Too often I find myself changing something and have never been able to maintain a client long enough to establish an average.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 28th December, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 28th December, 2007, 08:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

As much as I love this game....you guys are super freaks.....
Old 28th December, 2007, 08:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There have always been cowboys and ranchers.... Cowboys get the glory, but ranchers raise the beef!

Well done guys! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 29th December, 2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Linux accounts for a small part of it, but the majority is I'm clocked at 3.7 daily.
Well, that 'splains it all. I didn't know you were running that mutha so fast. Now I have some incentive to get a proper MB.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 1st January, 2008, 05:12 PM

I'm having a problem folding on one of my laptops, it's a Yonah T2300 @ 1.6Ghz with the 6.0 SMP client. It will run for 3 or 4 hours then just sit there. If I close it and start it again it will run for another 3-4 hours and do it again.. The log files show nothing, everest doesn't show anything out of the ordinary for temps.

Anybody run into this?
Old 1st January, 2008, 05:54 PM

See if you can check which process is plotzing. I'm not at my machine right now but if I remember correctly, fah.exe starts mpiexec.exe; and smpd.exe calls the four core instances. Run a process explorer of some kind and see if you can tell which one fails, and what goes down with it.

What exactly does the log say? Does it just stall at a % and go no further?

Is the notebook freestanding or is it on your network when it happens?

I'll assume that no overclocking is going on. Or is there? If you are pushing the FSB then back off a touch and see if the problem persists. Even if the machine has turned out dozens of WUs in the past, new generations can stress the machine in different ways. If you're overclocking I'd put my money on that being the cause. Try going to stock and run the same WU again, even if it's expired. [You are running a backup, aren't you? ] Or get another one from the same project and run it at stock to see.

I'm still getting 2653's on all 40 boxen. I think there's a new project out there that I haven't seen as yet. Did you land one of those by any chance?

There's one more possibility. How long did you wait before terminating the window and re-starting? In the FAHWiki I remember reading that on some WUs the speed can increase or slow down dramatically at some points, for varying amounts of time. This is called an "event" and is related to some dynamics in the protein folding process; it's mathematical and not related to your hardware. I've not actually witnessed one, but I guess if a user were "lucky" enough to be at the screen when one occurred, it would appear that the WU had stalled [or suddenly went into high gear.] Doesn't sound like that is the case here but it's worth considering.

Old 1st January, 2008, 06:24 PM

I booted into Linux this morning with the laptop and was compiling a pretty big app and it froze up on me. I believe I may be looking in the wrong direction for the problem.

It is at stock, but the errors I am getting in Linux point to CPU miscalculation. Possible heat related issue, bad CPU or memory problem. I'll check it out over the next couple of days and see what I come up with.
Old 24th January, 2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
CC:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying; could you elaborate a bit?

Also, your 7 minutes vs. my 10-11. Is it because of Linux? Or is there another reason your yield is higher? If you are doing 7 minute steps out of the box with one client that's a higher production than anyone I have heard of. It's like 3500 PPD (2 WUs) and that's awesome. Are you sure that your numbers are correct? Most folks are getting 1900-2200 PPD. I thought I was doing ok at 2100.

Or have I missed sumtin? (Most likely)
Apologies if this is posted somewhere else, but I've looked around a bit and couldn't find anything.

A Q6600 @ 3.0ghz should get rougly 4200+ PPD. 80% of that (2.4ghz) would be 3250+ PPD...

Is anyone using VMs? Again, looked around and didn't see much....kinda shook my head as it's the highest PPD method on quads.

Oh, and Daniel ~ is a n00b.
Old 24th January, 2008, 08:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Oh, and Daniel ~ is a n00b
And you will be stuck with that for a long 'ol time! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th January, 2008, 11:31 PM

I'll pick my output back up in a couple of days. I needed to reconfigure my main rig to a more sane state. I keep finding myself doing actual work and other projects on my main rig, stuff I really don't want to lose so I had to dump my overlays, tame my optimisations and rethink package selection. Should be back online tomorrow, I'll bring the new server online then as well.
Old 25th January, 2008, 05:24 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

6.0 SMP is not recommended (for windows), but i think it is in beta for Linux. If your notebook is linux, just ignore me.

@Thunder, Linux SMP and Windows SMP have a few different WUs, some are the same, some aren't. Also, (no expert, but), I heard windows sux at core optimization, so Linux is anywhere from 10-40% faster using quads, depending on the specific WU running. Only some of if can be reclaimed using different methods... Bottom line, pure linux SMP is the way to go (if feasible).
Old 25th January, 2008, 05:49 AM

You are correct, 6.0 is not on that laptop, it's on my other rigs. I fold in windows on that machine.

I ended up pulling it apart, dusting and a quick lap job with some new compund instead of the pad and it seems to be working fine. we'll see how it does for a week or so..
Old 25th January, 2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI View Post
6.0 SMP is not recommended (for windows), but i think it is in beta for Linux. If your notebook is linux, just ignore me.

@Thunder, Linux SMP and Windows SMP have a few different WUs, some are the same, some aren't. Also, (no expert, but), I heard windows sux at core optimization, so Linux is anywhere from 10-40% faster using quads, depending on the specific WU running. Only some of if can be reclaimed using different methods... Bottom line, pure linux SMP is the way to go (if feasible).

That's mostly true, but your last line needs a disclaimer. "pure linux SMP is the way to go (if feasible) and (if you're not getting Quad-only WUs). That, my friend, is where Windows with 2 Linux VMs really kills native linux on a quad. And that, is how to get 4-5k a day from a Q6600. XP w/ 2 VMs. I can provide screenies if necessary. Just have to start the VMs, then set affinitys. Stanford sees it as two cores so no Quad-only WUs.
Old 27th January, 2008, 05:47 PM

This thread has been very active the past few days on the FCF:
Folding Forum: Low v.s. Idle in Linux smp ...

(ccperf; this is right up your alley, BTW)

I'm quite interested in it now that I'm running my quad on Linux. I have tried a number of things including many of those mentioned above and my best point results have been running two SMP v6 clients in Linux. After some frustrating work I seem to have it settled down; I get 2 x 12 minute frames with this lousy mainboard I keep complaining about. I think that's not too bad considering the platform suxors. It comes out to about 2 WUs a day on 2653's; that's 3500ppd. I am having a lot of problems with 3060's. Those are the 2500 pointers and although I managed to get through a number of them, they remain problematic for this machine. They seem to tax the system in different ways from the 2653's. I opened a thread with my problem over there and got some helpful suggestions, so we'll see how it goes.

That being said, Pande would still prefer to have us run only one client and produce the results faster, which is what I'll most likely do after my experimenting is finished...

Last edited by ThunderRd; 27th January, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 27th January, 2008, 06:01 PM

I worked on a couple of re-nicing scripts for a day or two, while one was decently effective it left my rig almost unusable. The other made no difference in output. since then I have taken on a couple of other projects so I had to put that one on the back burner.

I haven't had any problems with the 3060's, My problems come with a certain gen 3062, everything else is fine..
Old 27th January, 2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
This thread has been very active the past few days on the FCF:
Folding Forum: Low v.s. Idle in Linux smp ...

(ccperf; this is right up your alley, BTW)

I'm quite interested in it now that I'm running my quad on Linux. I have tried a number of things including many of those mentioned above and my best point results have been running two SMP v6 clients in Linux. After some frustrating work I seem to have it settled down; I get 2 x 12 minute frames with this lousy mainboard I keep complaining about. I think that's not too bad considering the platform suxors. It comes out to about 2 WUs a day on 2653's; that's 3500ppd. I am having a lot of problems with 3060's. Those are the 2500 pointers and although I managed to get through a number of them, they remain problematic for this machine. They seem to tax the system in different ways from the 2653's. I opened a thread with my problem over there and got some helpful suggestions, so we'll see how it goes.

That being said, Pande would still prefer to have us run only one client and produce the results faster, which is what I'll most likely do after my experimenting is finished...
As said previously, XP with 2 VMs will solve your 3060 woes.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows SMP Client, general troubleshooting-4307.jpg  

Last edited by cw823; 27th January, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Tags
folding@home