AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team > Windows/Linux SMP Clients

Windows/Linux SMP Clients Folding clients that can run on multiple CPUs

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2nd January, 2008, 04:10 PM

We’re all supporting the same cause. That guide was put on the Folding Forums to help everyone. It was originally hidden on MaximumPC’s forum but after seeing the result I realized it needed to be shared. I wanted some more input too.
Obviously there’s no need to remove the guide from this or any other website... just include a link or something. It rubbed me the wrong way when I thought somebody tried to pawn it off as there own. I see ccperf721p isn't that type.

I do have a request b4 I go.

Please include a link and/or quote Vijay Pande's post on page 2. (Stanford prefers we use 1 client)

You might find it in your best interest to mention bruce’s post on page 4 (second to last) and ask people to save their personal opinions and not fuel the never ending debate.

It will help OCed Quads more then stock.

Sorry for the drama

Last edited by Roadkill08; 2nd January, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2008, 04:19 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill08 View Post
We’re all supporting the same cause... It rubbed me the wrong way when I thought somebody tried to pawn it off as there own. I see ccperf721p isn't that type.
No, he's not, and that should settle the whole mess, IMO.

Thanks fer comin' back See you at the other forum.

-TR

Here is the post from Bruce, site moderator, that Roadkill mentions:

Quote:
by bruce on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:52 pm

"7up1n3 wrote:One more thought.

Say you have a set period of time. Does the science benefit from having more WUs submitted within that period of time? Makes sense to me."

I can offer an example where you're correct and another example where you're not correct. I'm not going to do either one because it would just be contributing to a never-ending discussion.

This is an old argument that went on for pages and pages and pages on the previous forum. We finally had to shut it down because nothing new was being said, just incessant statements of disagreeing personal opinions with no possible way to resolve anything.

Please re-read Vijay Pande's post on page 2. Folding Forum • View topic - 1000PPD increase with Intel Quad & 2 *ubuntu SMP clients

I think it's time to lock this discussion.
I followed this thread as well as the old one on the old forum; it got pretty heated. Essentially, Pande Group wants us to give them the results as quickly as possible, for each WU. This helps the science the most. There is a new plan, not implemented as yet, to re-vamp the point system for F@H. Perhaps it would be a bonus schedule for completing WUs in advance of the deadlines; I don't know, and they aren't saying yet. In any case, it would most likely be aimed at compensating users running ONE FAH CORE PER PHYSICAL CORE, and would make all of our best-laid plans academic, in the end. I'm not giving an opinion; you can form one yourself. If you want to be better informed, read the whole thread.

I experimented with two clients only because I got this q6600 and wanted to see what it would do. YMMV.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 2nd January, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2008, 05:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

It's all good. We ain't mad at ya....LOL

I will try to get this sorted out today. Thanks for you help and fold on brother...
Old 2nd January, 2008, 06:46 PM

My intentions were not to steal anyone's work and claim it as my own. I was looking for a way to improve the load on my system. My initial thought was to run a couple of single clients along with the SMP client. Re-nicing everything was going to prove difficult so while talking to a friend he said just run two SMP clients and gave me the setup info over the phone. An hour later some text was was sent to me so I posted it up for all to use. What I send to my bro's is theirs and anyone else who cares to use it and them the same to me, we hold nothing back from the world in the way of knowledge. I guess this may have to change as well unless I truly know where the information is coming from.

Again, Sorry for the problems.
Old 2nd January, 2008, 07:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Very happy all was settled to everyone's satisfaction... a rare and good thing, the hallmark of good will among men. Thank you all.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 2nd January, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 2nd January, 2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Re-nicing everything
There's an idea?

I've used the renice -20 -p ID command on just the clients (it didn't help much) but never thought to renice everything else to 19. Is that what you mean? I'm going to try it later.

Its easy to renice large groups of processes using Ubuntu's System Monitor or Kubuntu's KsysGuard.
Select the first process name, press and hold shift and select the last desired name. Right click and select change prioritiy... or Renice..

EDIT: Nicing the system processes didn't help

Last edited by Roadkill08; 3rd January, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 2nd January, 2008, 09:26 PM

I was looking at it more for lowering the priority on the single clients just to add a few points weekly but even at 19 with the SMP client at -10 it would almost double the time it took to finish an smp wu so there was nothing to be gained there. Haven't seen anything from nicing system processes but I haven't put much effort into either. Dumping to init3 seems to be the most productive for me, but I don't care to have to start my desktop every time I want to use my computer so I usually just do it before I sleep..
Old 28th March, 2010, 05:35 AM

now it's my turn to dig. over two years old and looking into this method for my AMD Quads.

is this install guide still the one to use? update the /release/ to "FAH6.29-linux.tgz"?

I want to try this so let me know.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 28th March, 2010, 02:21 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Dual clients no longer necessary to achieve maximum core usage.

The newest version of the client doesn't use 4 processes any more, but 4 threads of one process, so there is no longer any gain to multiple clients. You can drop in the newest client right over the old one and go. BTW this is true for both Linux and Windows clients now.

I probably should move this thread to the deprecated area, but I'll wait until the older client expires later this year before I do it for historical reasons.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 28th March, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 28th March, 2010, 03:49 PM

thanks TR. back to plan A

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 27th May, 2012, 05:18 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's my Gizmo always trying to silence the great unwashed...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic