AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team > Windows/Linux SMP Clients

Windows/Linux SMP Clients Folding clients that can run on multiple CPUs

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th December, 2012, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.

I have a problem (In Mint 13 and now in Mint 14) with Mint update and FHA update. they take each other out and prevent each other from updating. I'm using Fahclient 7.1.52 AMD 64.deb and Fahcontrol 7.2.9-1_all.deb

I become aware of the problem when FAH fails to start another unit, After I have updated my system with system updates. Usually I just reboot and it will start. Sometimes I have to remove fah client and re-install it.

This time I keep getting a message that says only one software manager can be open at a time. I've tried closing System update. I've tried opening and then closing Synaptic and it still says there is a software manger open and so can't remove and re-install fah.
This may or may not be useful, but I do notice that when I click "Fold" to get things going the PPD number showing in the fah control client keeps changing the number. it keeps going down, started in the hundreds or thousands, not sure and is down to 21 now. Ok it just hit Zero on it's own, nothing happened.
So can anyone tell me give me a bit of code to shut them the hell down, so I can restart fah?

second to the last pic is after another re-boot. One more pic, the last is where it restarts the PPD count.
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-10-39   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-10-48   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-11-01   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-11-06   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-11-08  

."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th December, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2012, 09:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

System up date finally coughed up this bit of code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Odd thing is it gives this result:See first pic below this post:

As my i7z reports me at idle I can't be running anything. This let me un- install fahclient and Control. I rebooted hunted down the F@H file and dumped it. then re-booted and reinstalled, same damn thing, fah won't run.
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-11-40   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-13-02  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th December, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2012, 10:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK I tried a last re-boot before switching over to my 32 bit drive to fold on.

I opened "configure" there was a start button, I hit and waited, nothing but this message..(Pic) I don't know how things got so screwed up!
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-05-13-15  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th December, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 6th December, 2012, 02:46 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Meh.

First question is, is this a 32-bit installation or 64-bit? I know you have been fiddling about with that, and I don't know where you are at the moment.

Next, that is still a beta client (v7). How about using the console for a while and see if it behaves for you? It's not as pretty but it's easy on your resources and for me, is absolutely problem-free (for years)

download here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...inux64-SMP.exe

install guide here: http://folding.stanford.edu/Site/LinSMPGuide
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 6th December, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 6th December, 2012, 06:51 AM

OK, I took a closer look at your screenshots and see that it is a 64-bit install. That is good, FAH does not run on 32-bit.

Killing a running process can be done from htop. Just highlight the process and press F9(I think).

But TBH I still think you should consider the CL client, it is very easy, no install routine needed, and very reliable.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Old 6th December, 2012, 06:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK, I'll go that way. How can I shut it down when I want to and then start it back up? This is the Terminal version right?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th December, 2012, 07:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks ThunderRD! Worked quite easily. I found that ./fah will start it up, how do I properly shut it down when I need to...very rare I admit! ":O}
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-10-32  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th December, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 6th December, 2012, 07:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
OK, I took a closer look at your screenshots and see that it is a 64-bit install. That is good, FAH does not run on 32-bit.

Killing a running process can be done from htop. Just highlight the process and press F9(I think).

But TBH I still think you should consider the CL client, it is very easy, no install routine needed, and very reliable.
AH! If only I'd learn to read more closely!

As htop shows all of my cores, but just one is colored blue, do I hit the blue one to shut fah down or all of them...Sorry I just got back into 64 and I don't want to blow it! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th December, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 7th December, 2012, 12:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm having a problem TR.

I'll post a mess of pic so you know what I've done, thought it seems very straight forward. Trouble is I've done it three times. Once I close fah, I can't restart it without going though the install. It says it can't find fah6.

I'll shut it down now and see If I got it right this time. Still no good see last pic.

I'm about done here for today so I'll re-install it and get her going, she picks up where it left off when closed so nothing is lost... just don't know why it can start it then not find it!
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-11   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-11   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-13   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-13   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-22  

."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th December, 2012, 12:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Here's a pictorial of exactly what I'm doing and what happens. Once I shut down or stop it I have to start over and re-install.

./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

doesn't work but once, same with ./fah once I

echo "./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9 $* &" > fah
chmod +x fah

For some reason, it gets lost after install when I shut down. Yes, fah is in my home folder.
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-28   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-29   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-30   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-31   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-31  

A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-32   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-33   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-06-15-43  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th December, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 7th December, 2012, 01:45 AM

OK that looks good. The correct way to shut down is with Ctrl-C (of course with the focus in the terminal you're using).

The first time you run, don't forget to run it with the -config flag so you can enter all of your user information, especially your passkey. If you already ran it, you can add/change information by running './fah -configonly'. This runs the configuration routine, without starting the client. After you've added/changed what you need to, start it again.

Old 7th December, 2012, 02:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Click on Terminal and CTRL+C got it!

I don't have a passkey! Never used one. It lets me input my name and team no# so that much is good. Asks if I want to change advanced settings I said no, just went with the default install. I tried just using

./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

And it worked, one time. Then I tried :

OPTIONAL: To make starting FAH a little easier, make a script by running the following commands:

chmod +x fah

Now simply enter this command to run FAH...

./fah

And it worked, one time.

inputting ./fah just returns: ./fah: line 1: ./fah6: No such file or directory

same with ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

Unfortunately I switch back and forth between my 32 and 64 bit drives a couple times a day.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th December, 2012, 02:53 AM

Get a passkey. It entitles you to the bonus points for early completion, as well as secures your account. For some reason, I thought you had one already.

Folding@home - FAQ-passkey

That script is like an alias to start the client with the -smp and -verbosity 9 flags by typing only the single short command. You can use it or not, up to you. The way it is, you'd have to be in the client directory to use it. You probably were not there when you tried to use it the second time, and that is why it didn't work. I think

I don't start it with a script, just an alias. Open /home/daniel/bash.rc with a text editor, and add this line to the file, between the # ALIAS LIST and #END ALIAS LIST markers:

Code:
alias fah='cd /home/daniel/YOUR_FAH_DIRECTORY_HERE && ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9'
You will have to REBOOT the machine for the new bash.rc to take effect, I think.

Then, all you need to do is open a terminal window and type 'fah'. Nothing else. The alias will change directories and then start the client [you don't have to be in the directory to do this, you can be anywhere]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 7th December, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 7th December, 2012, 08:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ok, I've got my passkey in a safe place.
I must frustrate poor you half to death!

I pulled up Gedit, but at that point I realized I haven't a clue. Would you please outline the proper steps for inputting the Alias. I'm completely lost here.
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-07-11-54   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-07-11-55  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th December, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 7th December, 2012, 11:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

These are the instructions I've been following. I'm sure the Alias way is better, I just don't know why this way isn't working for me. I used my passkey this time.":O}

mkdir -p ~/folding
cd ~/folding
curl -O http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...34-Linux64.tgz
tar xzf FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz

After the FAH client is downloaded, the client needs to be configured. Please run these 2 commands:

chmod +x fah6
./fah6 -configonly -smp

After the client is configured, there are different methods for starting the FAH client. The most basic method is to enter in following command:

./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

OPTIONAL: To make starting FAH a little easier, make a script by running the following commands:

chmod +x fah

Now simply enter this command to run FAH...

./fah

Always works the first time either way I do it, never the second time. I have the client in my home directory, is that where it should be?
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-07-14-48  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th December, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 8th December, 2012, 12:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK...It finally sunk in what you were saying about the right folder....here's what was missing:

cd ~/folding
./fah

and up she comes! ":O}

If you have time I'd still like to try Alias...but take your time as the PRESSURE!!! (to fold) is off! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th December, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 8th December, 2012, 02:36 PM

OK, you have to open a file named '.bashrc'

It is in your home/username directory, but it is a hidden file. You can take a look at it by typing:

Code:
gedit /home/daniel/.bashrc
When it opens, you will see an area that is set off by the headings # ALIAS LIST and #END ALIAS LIST.,

Between these markers, add the line I gave you before. Save the file, and then reboot the machine.

After you are up again, open a terminal window and type 'fah' (no quotes)

It should start up the client. If not, show me what the output is.

Old 8th December, 2012, 08:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
OK, you have to open a file named '.bashrc'

It is in your home/username directory, but it is a hidden file. You can take a look at it by typing:

Code:
gedit /home/daniel/.bashrc
When it opens, you will see an area that is set off by the headings # ALIAS LIST and #END ALIAS LIST.,

Between these markers, add the line I gave you before. Save the file, and then reboot the machine.

After you are up again, open a terminal window and type 'fah' (no quotes)

It should start up the client. If not, show me what the output is.
If I'm doing this right...somethings wrong...
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-08-11-13   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-08-12-50  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th December, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 9th December, 2012, 11:03 AM

Dan - try creating a .bashrc file in your /home/daniel directory.

Paste this line into it:

Code:
Changing the target directory, of course. Then reboot and try it.

Old 9th December, 2012, 09:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

To be sure I understand you aright:
In My home Dir. I create a new file and name it .bashrc

Then put

in the file. Anyway that's what I did...":O}

Then I opened terminal and input fah
Attached Thumbnails
A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-09-12-49   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-09-12-50   A recurring problem with FHA and Mint Update.-screenshot-2012-12-09-12-53  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur