Forum latest

• Happy Birthday Daniel ~!
    Allan, how very cool to hear from you! I hope that it goes well for you and your fami...
  • Happy Birthday Daniel ~!
    Does "Happy belated birthday wishes" even cover this by now? :-) Not sure it does! S...
  • It's true..
    Watched "Now You See Me 2" last night. Been a while since the first one, so I'm not a...
This paper-thin wafer may be the next big thing in force feedback
Gaming
Written by Danrok   
Friday, 13 January 2012 19:39

From ArsTechnica:

The most common form of force feedback in our electronic devices is the sort of rumbling buzz you get when a motor spins some sort of mass inside the case of your hardware. Video game controllers usually have two motors, one on each side of the controller, and that sort of "rumble in stereo" configuration allows for a number of effects based on the speed of each motor. This takes power, it takes space, and there's not much you can do with the technology. At CES I met with Artificial Muscle, a Bayer MaterialScience company, so they could show me their Vivitouch technology. Vivitouch a sort of artificial muscle that could changing how we experience haptic effects in our devices.

The Vivitouch device is small, almost perfectly flat, and after playing through a few demos using a consumer device that's available now, I was turned into a believer. That thin piece of plastic in the image above produces a rumble effect that's more responsive, subtle, and expressive than the technology that's currently the market standard.

[More...]

[Comments...]

Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either