Thread: Home Network?
View Single Post
Old 1st April, 2003, 11:31 PM

My home network currently has 5 PCs on it (what happened??? sheesh!) I have a Cable modem feeding a 4 port Router. It feeds 3 PCs and the one cross over cable uses the 4th port to feed a switch with 5 ports. One is used by the cross over cable so I can now feed 4 more PCs. At least that's what I got now....no tellin what I come up with later.
The advantages to a router are several: the outside cannot (alright Áedán can probably get in, but he is admittedly a minority!) see past your Router, so you really don't need a firewall. The other one is you won't be sharing an internet connection with a Router. They all get their own access. If you do it like you are suggesting, although it's less expensive, if the "mother PC" is off, the others downline are also off. The mother PC also looses some by feeding the other.
I'm no expert by any means, a newbie by any standards. Just my experience.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!