View Single Post
Old 20th June, 2004, 12:56 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

first...overclock your card and make sure that it can handle 412 @ the core & 365 mem...try ati tool to find out.
i did a search on google and found a bios that matched my ram (hynix 410A) and made sure to back up my original bios using a program called flashrom.

if you do a search on the sublect af changing to xt from pro on google, you'll find a site:
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=92&var2=0

that will link you to bioses and the flashing prog.

i did some benches myself, and i set my pro to xt speeds and ran 3dmark03...it still performed lower than it did with the xt flash, WITH HIGHER RAM SPEEDS THAN XT.
There was a VISIBLE difference....and no artifacts.
No...it did not help me get high gpu or mem speed on overclocking.
but as i understand it, it enables a pixel shader or something that the XT has and the pro does not.
i have not put any ramsinks on, just AS5 and and iceberq heatsink/fan. i can't find ramsinks anywhere in town here..gonna have to make my own.
you don't have access to the ATI overdrive, or the tempsensor, but i'm sure there is a way to read that sensor somehow. when i find out i'll post how.
i bought 2 other 9800 pro's today...one in the same box and one in a different box, both by ati. on the box that contained the R360 there was a line on the back of the box that basically said it was a new processor "Advanced stability meets revolutionary features in the RADEON 9800 PRO, the only 8-pipeline graphics solution in it's second generation." Second generation? uh..was the 9800 not originally the R350? so second generation means what? The board is still the same....new memory..so ok, might be that...but i think they were hinting at the new processor on the board!
BTW..sapphire 9800 pro 256mb's are on the XT boards.....SO THEY ARE XT'S WITH A BIOS FLASH TO DISABLE THE XT FEATURES! THIS MEANS PAYING 100 EXTRA FOR 128MB OF RAM THAT NO GAME USES IS WORTH IT! *the 256mb gets used if you use 2 displays, AFAIK.