View Single Post
Old 22nd June, 2004, 08:06 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

[QUOTE=Marcus Bertolli
9800XT is no better then a highly oc'd 9800 Pro.

But for those having problems oc they 9800 P's the mod is useful.[/QUOTE]

it did not help my overclocking

IT DID MAKE A VISIBLE DIFFERENCE IN 3DMARK03(ALMOST 40FPS IN SOME SECTIONS) AND A 600PT GAIN ...WITH THE xt BIOS@412/364 IN COMPARISION TO THE 9800 PRO BIOS @ 412/378. 600 PTS! THAT'S LIKE UPPING MEM FROM STOCK PRO SPEEDS TO IN SYNC WITH THE GPU! those 600 pts have to come from somewhere.
the problem that i had with the card was that the 360 gpu has things in different places and an added temp sensor IN THE SAME DIE SIZE. to me this means there is something hokey going on. how do they get that extra performance while adding parts in the same space? and how do they get it to work on a PCB that is different than the standard?
i know that the first demo 9800xt's where on 9800 pro pcb's, and that they only had the new gpu and bios flash, but i still can't deal with that. going and buying a 9800 pro with a 360 is like buying the product as it was when it was being tested, and i don't like that. for a hundred dollars more i can get a 9800xt gpu on the pcb designed for it, that only performs up to spec of a pro(wether this is because of bios or poor chips i'll find out when i pick mine up), even with then temp sensor enabled.
and it's the temp sensor that i want.
AFAIK it's also the temp sensor that makes the gpu harder to overclock as well...

check out the asus 9800 pro 256... they even tell you that it is the xt gpu AND that the temp sensor works!

Last edited by cadaveca; 22nd June, 2004 at 08:11 PM.