AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2004, 04:02 AM

Promise sata driver + driver page down?

It's a real bummer (can I say that), I'm stuck here after reinstalling my system.. I have to store a lot of files.. which I don't yet want to trust to a raid configuration. and anyway with 3x160gbs satas I can afford to have 1 act as general storage and dump my pagefile on it.. I think..
Problem is I can't find a PROMISE 20378 SATA driver I find referense to there not being one.. but I'm trying not to belive it.
also GIZMO's http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=224 64bit file page seems to be down? (it's nearly 4am.. yeah, yeah, been told it before :P)... and the promises site seems so slow as to be unusable??
Also I have my drives set up 2 on the via chipet, and 1 on the promise, the promise, I've partitioned 50/50 winxp/win64.. using the other 2 satas to share files. I'm wondering would I gain much having the OS on one side of the via chipset and the pagefile drive on the other?

Last edited by Dizzee; 30th April, 2004 at 07:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2004, 05:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The files section is offline right at the moment. Dunno how long that will be the case.

As for puting your pagefile on one side of the chipset and OS on the other, I doubt it will make much difference.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2004, 08:15 AM

fair enough... I heard the bad news... it's sad what people get kicks out of..
On the bright side it makes you stronger..
anyway back to MY problem..
dunno if it's me but I cant use the promise site (www.promise.com/) to search for drivers... it's sooo slow it's taking 15-20mins to load a page!!!
searching I see Sata (not raid.. I see them too but I don't want them) drivers for all chipsets everywhere except Promise.. has anyone found one.. use one.. fancy chucking a link for me to get one
Old 30th April, 2004, 08:13 PM
AOA Staff

Have a look at http://www.planetamd64.com/ files section. They don't have so much bandwidth, but should have the driver you need.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 03:53 AM

Yeah looked there already.. they ain't got.. I think it's an ongoing issue.. unless someone says other wise.. there are no current sata drivers for the promise chipset unless its a raid set-up.. ie fastrack.
The promise site picked up and I was able to search it no joy. I'll probably have to move with the times and go with the raid.. mmm.. any idea what benifits there are with a sata drive configured with raid against same drive non-raided.. especially when only using one drive?
I really would like to use win64.. but my WinXP is running sooo smoothly (I was blue screening alotof times a day before!! and now.. non) with this non-raid config. :d
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:54 AM
AOA Staff

There are drivers, I have them installed. I cannot confirm that they work because I don't have a SATA drive to check them with. I can't send you the driver because it was on a HDD which went down. But here's the proof!
Attached Thumbnails
Promise sata driver + driver page down?-promise.jpg  
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:56 AM
AOA Staff

Sorry, I missed the bit about RAID. Now, I see what you're saying.

BTW, what are you planning on doing with 480Gb of storage?