AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2005, 02:32 AM

DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI

Morphing DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D in nForce4 SLI

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...spx?i=2322&p=1


Old 1st February, 2005, 05:42 PM

yep very similar to what i read about the msi neo4 ultra, thing id like to know is where to buy the sli bridges from? as they only seem to be shipping with the sli boards, maybe just a case of time i guess
Old 1st February, 2005, 11:00 PM

Infact had I have had a sli bridge I would have tested this out on the MSI K8N Neo4 but as I didnt I send it on, didnt even unpack the mobo, it did look smart but as yet havent read much about it
Old 2nd February, 2005, 08:47 AM

Switch from "normal" to "SLI" mode on the DFI boards. The 8 jumper blocks can set to SLI, with the included chip extractor. The jumpers were the trade-off to give us an SLI selection on the Ultra-D. We wish that DFI could find some means of reaching an agreement with nVidia to provide the "dual-video" bridge with the Ultra boards.

DFI nForce4: SLI and Ultra for Mad Overclockers: Final Words

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337&p=11


Old 2nd February, 2005, 10:01 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lifted from:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337&p=3

shows that the DFI boards do not require the pcb connector. Looks like the board to pick.
Attached Thumbnails
DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-dfi-mb.jpg  
Old 2nd February, 2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
lifted from:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337&p=3

shows that the DFI boards do not require the pcb connector. Looks like the board to pick.
That looks very interesting
Old 2nd February, 2005, 11:04 AM

The 8 jumper (Rows) blocks can set to Single or SLI, with the included chip extractor.

But stil need a dual-video bridge on top of the cards, this move data at 10GB/sec between the cards.

Marked red
Attached Thumbnails
DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-asus_a8n-sli-deluxe-2-red.jpg  

Last edited by aJ\/Tg; 2nd February, 2005 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Replace picture for better one
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2005, 07:28 PM

Forgot about the bridge...head still stuck in ATI's that needs no bridge.
Old 5th February, 2005, 09:29 PM

here's an update...best buy a board now. article has been revised to say:

Quote:
UPDATE 2/05/2005: nVidia has acted to prevent, or at least make it more difficult, to mod the Ultra board to SLI. First, DFI has advised us, and posted on their website, that they will NOT sell the SLI bridge to buyers of the Ultra board. Second, nVidia has advised us that future shipments of the Ultra chipset have been modified so that the mod to SLI will no longer be possible. An additional side effect of this second action is that the "Dual Video" mode, which performs at about 90% of SLI performance levels, will only work with nVidia SLI drivers 66.75 or earlier. If you do a quick check of web driver postings you will see it is now very difficult to find 66.75 drivers. With a chipset modded to SLI the "Dual Video" mode worked through 70.xx versions of the nVidia driver. nVidia also made it clear they will continue to make driver changes to prevent functioning of any "non-standard" (8X/8X) operation of their SLI driver. This also throws into question whether the VIA "dual graphics" mode on the 894 Pro chipset will ever work with nVidia graphics cards. If you are interested in the current UT Ultra-D we suggest you buy one now if you can find it. Future versions of the UT Ultra-D will not have the same capabilities as a result of these actions.

this is why i hate anandtech. lol. the info shoulda stayed in the forums, and Nvidia might not have reared it's ugly head on the issue so soon.

Still cannot wait for ATI's no bridge multi-gpu...AMR!!!AMD and AMR!!!!
Old 5th February, 2005, 09:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

We've got the 66.72 drivers in AOAFiles. Will those work?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2005, 09:48 PM

I canot guarantee that, but yeah, from what they say, they should. Problem is getting the bridge PCB that connects the 2 video cards together. With the DFI board, there is just jumpers, no pcb, for the PCI-E lanes, so naturally the mod was going to happen. Now to find a place to get the interconnect....
Old 11th February, 2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I canot guarantee that, but yeah, from what they say, they should. Problem is getting the bridge PCB that connects the 2 video cards together. With the DFI board, there is just jumpers, no pcb, for the PCI-E lanes, so naturally the mod was going to happen. Now to find a place to get the interconnect....
I was going to get this board after I contacted DFI to find out about the availablility of the sli bridge, they said towards the end of february but could say anymore or how much so I went with the SLI-DR
Attached Thumbnails
DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-box.jpg  
Old 11th February, 2005, 10:23 AM

Um..can i have your money, just for a day? You go through lots of hardware...

I ordered this today.....
Attached Images

Old 11th February, 2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Um..can i have your money, just for a day? You go through lots of hardware...

I ordered this today.....
Sure if you take on my debt aswell took one hell of a longtime to get up and running, but seems to be getting there!

btw what is that? i mean what make, ive seen some watercooling set up for sli cards but have yet to find it, these 6800gts run hot and are noisy
Old 11th February, 2005, 11:16 AM

koolance.

here's the one you want...
Attached Thumbnails
DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-vid-nv2-l06_p0.jpg   DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-vid-nv2-l06_p1.jpg   DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-vid-nv2-l06_p2.jpg  
Old 11th February, 2005, 11:19 AM

or this..cannot remember the make, but i will find a link for you later
Attached Thumbnails
DFI LANParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D mod to SLI-gwsli1.jpg  
Old 11th February, 2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
or this..cannot remember the make, but i will find a link for you later
that was the one!
Old 11th February, 2005, 12:07 PM
AOA Staff

I'm waiting for the Koolance one to become available in the UK.
Old 11th February, 2005, 12:18 PM

some innovatek ones very similar over here http://www.coolercases.co.uk/water_blocks_innovatek.htm mind you they aint cheap and if you have to buy 2 like me even more so
Old 11th February, 2005, 01:03 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
some innovatek ones very similar over here http://www.coolercases.co.uk/water_blocks_innovatek.htm mind you they aint cheap and if you have to buy 2 like me even more so
Trouble with their site is that I can't view the info, probably due to pop-up blocking. They need to have a word with their web designer...