AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2005, 09:09 AM

xp64 compatible BIOS flash utility?

My floppy drive is not interoperating with xp64 correctly for some reason. I can't figure out how to make a boot CD without a functioning floppy drive, so I was wondering if there is a Windows bios flash tool that will work within xp64?
Old 21st March, 2005, 09:18 AM
Steve Jobs

Hmm, thats a little confusing. To make a boot CD you need a CD burner, not a floppy. You make the XP64 install CD, then you select boot from CDROM in bios. Then it boots directly off the CD, i installed and operated XP64 easily and i have not owned a floppy disk drive since 1999. Almost all AMD64 laptops and many desktops dont have them at all.

sorry if that doesnt answer your question its just a little ambiguous :|
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 10:25 AM

I don't want to create an xp64 cd from its ISO. I want to create a bootable CDROM that is like a windows 98 boot disk. Normally you have to have a floppy version that Nero or Easy CD Creator can extract a floppy image from, and then burn that as a bootable CD.

I did get my floppy drive to work after fiddling with it, but I'd still be interested if there is a utility to flash the BIOS from within windows that will work on xp64.
Old 21st March, 2005, 12:49 PM
Steve Jobs

there is nothing to do with a floppy involved. You just burn the ISO directly to a CD and it is already bootable. At no stage does it need a floppy driver like windows 98 does.

XP and XP64 ISOs are bootable already, just burn the disk, then select boot from CDROM in bios and it will work.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 06:33 PM

Yes you do need a floppy. At the first stage of creating the disk image you need a floppy. I don't want to burn a Windows XP or XP64 ISO image to a cdom. I want to burn a Windows 98 or 98SE boot disk to a bootable CDROM. You can download the floppy bootdisks from http://www.bootdisk.com.

The feature to do this in Nero and Easy CD Creator requires you to put your floppy boot disk in the drive, and it makes a special image that it then burns to the CDROM. I've looked on google but nobody has made one of these images available for download. So if you don't have a floppy drive your are SOL.

There is a guy at http://www.nu2.nu who has created a program using cygwin and some utilities like cdrecord, that will create a cdrom bootdisk, but I couldn't get it to work under XP64.
Old 21st March, 2005, 08:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It sounds like you want to download one of the bootable DOS disk images, and then use something like WinImage to edit the disk image and put the files you want on there.
I don't know if Nero or Easy CD Creator will accept a disk image instead of the floppy itself, as I've never used them.

Also, look at bootdisk.com, specifically at the text that says "Need To Flash Your BIOS On A PC With No 1.44", as this sounds like it's what you want.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 12:33 AM

Yes, that link on bootdisk.com will lead you to the nu2.nu site. I tried that guys utilities but they don't work from the command prompt under xp64. Nero/Easy CD Creator won't accept the raw floppy image file unfortunately. I was able to snag the temporary ISO that that guy's set of utilities creates in a temp folder while it is running, but it didn't include the extra files I had specified to be put on the CD, so I'm guessing it must burn the core ISO first and then burn the rest or something.

If there were a xp64 compatible version of winflash it would be nice. I haven't tried the regular version as with my luck it will crash halfway through writing the bios

In any event, I was able to get my floppy drive working and flash my BIOS, but it would be nice to track down a solution for the future, as I plan to swap everything to a new case soon without a floppy.