AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th March, 2005, 06:04 PM

EVGA, better late than never?

It looks like EVGA has entered into the motherboard market. I never heard anything about this, but it seems like their motherboard is now available.

Their bragging point are their capacitors, which are polymer based instead of electrolytic based. The board can also tolerate heat up to 105 degrees Celcius and has a life expectancy of around 10 years.

So far an eVGA board is only available in Socket 754, NForce3 250gb.

With an MSRP of around $99.99 it really isn't all that big of a deal, since there is no onboard video. Now, if they had some big fatty eVGA nVidia based onboard graphics I'd be more impressed.

Read about it here.
Old 25th March, 2005, 07:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The ad is a little misleading. As far as I know, ALL capacitors of that type are electrolytic. The difference is in the composition of the electrolyte. Standard aluminum electrolytics use a liquid electrolyte which is subject to evaporation and outgassing. There has been some experimentation with 'organic' or polymer-based electrolytes, but I had no idea it had gotten this far. Last I knew, these electrolytes were limited to surface-mount applications where space is a premium, because of their relatively high cost.

They also make the assertion that standard caps are rated at 85C while theirs are rated at 105C. While factually correct, it is also true that almost no main board (and certainly none of the reputable ones) uses 85C caps for the Vcore, Vagp, Vdimm, or Vcc regulators, AFAIK.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2005, 07:16 PM

Even the bulging caps on my semi-dead ECS K7S5A are rated 105 degrees..... of course they failed lol.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2005, 08:48 PM
AOA Staff

Sounds like marketing people up to their usual tricks...
Old 25th March, 2005, 08:54 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

eVGA do make some very solid 6800U's...but that is all i have ever seen in person from them. they are the sort of product that only gets inported to canada by this guy or that.

I have a friend working in taipei...they are alot of companies making everything now. what surprises me is how they all stay afloat...you would think we would have hit market saturation in those types of devices a while ago....

eVGA is like Sapphire maknig the new ATI SLi bgoards...maybe they are making nvid boards only? to go with thier nvid cards?
Old 20th April, 2005, 09:37 PM

Just seems a bit odd to be advertising all these things on "old" tech???
Old 20th April, 2005, 09:38 PM

wonder who got sacked for saying it was originally a dual channel mobo LOL