AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2002, 07:00 PM

A7V333 Power loss in WinXP

I've had this A7v333 for 3 days and sometimes in Windows XP just after booting it will randomly just shutdown and start initialising the Biios again.

It seems to only happen when ASUS Probe is running but if it happens once, it will happen repeatedly during the WinXP boot phase. I thoguht it may be a power thing but all my lines are within 5% tolerance according to BIOS and probe (haven't tested with a multimeter) and the problem does not occur in Windows 98.

I checked the CPU speed and temp settings. Temps are below 40 and the probe only allows warnings at 50 or above. Fan speed is a minimum of 2500 and the probe was set to alarm at 2200.

Generally it hasn't happened when probe isn't running but it doesn't explain why it happens again during the bootup and I don't want to do without the probe. I disabled the fan speed sensor but that had no effect.

The power supply is a dirt cheap OEM style one but its rated for 400W ( I don't know how that breaks down for the different volt lines) and I only have a few components - mobo, cpu, 2 extra 80mm fans Volcano 7, HD, 10mbps LAN and Radeon. I know I should fork out for abetter one but this one is OK I'm sure. I can happily run games on my radeon 9000 for hours with no problem (without ASUS probe running).

Any ideas, sorry for the long text.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2002, 10:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you've ascertained that your processor temp is OK in BIOS and you're not overclocking/beating up the CPU, there's no real need for MBM or Asus's Probe.
MBM is a CPU hog, and Asus Probe is not well respected. You might think about dumping the Probe prog until you really need it.

Yes, this doesn't address the crux of your question. Sorry.
Old 19th October, 2002, 10:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Sounds like it could be poor current stability on the part of CPU powersupply of the motherboard, are there any bubble topped or leaking capacitors on the board in the region around the ZIF socket?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2002, 11:09 PM

No the caps look fine. I doubt its even a problem with power to the cpum the same pattern happened when running at 10.5*100 as well as 10.5*133.

I've just been running UT2K3 with all the shiny bits turned on and all my fans running for over an hour. It didn't die and the only apparent reason sems to be that ASUS probe isn't running. I still dont get how that program could cause subsequent problems during the bootup before the program even starts to run. Anyhoo problem seems to be fixed for now. Will have to try something else when the time comes for overclocking the AGOIA....

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2002, 07:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
MBM is a CPU hog
Darn, it is? Task Manager shows it at less than 1% CPU Utilisation. How does that make it a CPU hog??

AidanII
Old 20th October, 2002, 07:52 PM

I used ti use MSB on my 8kta3. It just amde other programs really laggy. You know how you can just feel when something isn't right with the system (or do I just need to get out more...)

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2002, 09:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe MBM has improved. Running then current versions of it in 98SE revealed that it used a minimum of 1%, which jumped to 4% on a regular schedule, every few seconds. Wintop revealed this. Having a 4% load on the CPU like clockwork just didn't seem right to me.

Last edited by cloasters; 20th October, 2002 at 10:27 PM.