AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2003, 12:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Exclamation Got problems with nForce2 and USB?

nVidia have identified several USB 1.1 devices and chips that do not work correctly on the nForce2 USB ports.

To summerise nVidia, they tested a number of USB devices that did not operate correctly with the nForce2 USB ports, and found that they did not produce a clean USB signal. In other words, the devices failed the USB 1.1 requirements.

There are several work arounds depending on the USB device in question!

1) Put the USB 1.1 problem device behind a USB 2 hub. The USB2 hub will recreate the USB signal, and hence cleans it up. This will NOT work with a USB 1.1 hub!

2) If the device is based around a Sigmatel STMP3410 USB interface, there should be a firmware update to correct it's timing. This chip appears to be used in a number of MP3 Players, and perhaps other general purpoes devices.

3) If the device is based around a Genesys GL811 chip, errors may occur trying to copy files to it. After an error, the device will disappear! V20 and above of this chip are supposedly compatible and have no issues. This chip appears to be used in a number of USB2 to HDD adapters.
Old 14th May, 2003, 05:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Whew, it's good to know that Nvidia dotted all of the "I's" and crossed all of the "T's."

Mumble grumble..
Old 14th May, 2003, 06:29 PM
Member/Contributer

Aha! That will explain why my USB IR transceiver for my phone buzzed horribly when I put it in and tried to use it. It worked fine on my EP-8K3A+ so I was really confused.

Thanks Aedan.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st June, 2003, 08:15 PM

I've had some probs with XP NF7-s and USB, but I always blamed myself, thanks for the new excuse

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazgoat
my USB IR transceiver for my phone
Laz.
Laz,

Do you mind if I ask what this USB IR transceiver for my phone is? A joke? A VOIP system? Netphone type? just curios and maybe missing a joke but why not ask right?

Tubs
Old 1st June, 2003, 10:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Hi Tubs, the "transceiver" is a device I "can" (on my EP 8K3A+)use to upload the data from my SIMM card onto my PC so I can manage it easier, no fiddly buttons. I can then send the modified address book, SMS messages, ringtones, pictures, themes etc back to the phone by IR. Its a Sony-Ericssson T68i and the IR device is called Mobile Action 620.

I've just re-installed it on my 8K3a+ and its working perfect again.

Laz.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Lazgoat; 1st June, 2003 at 10:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2003, 03:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to chris4521 Send a message via AIM to chris4521

nice. i noticed this also. sometimes to get my printer/scanner/fax (brother) to work i have to plug/unplug the USB cable. same with my webcam also. weird.
1x 256mb geil ultra platinum DDR (pc3500)
Albatron GFFX 5600 Turbo (400/900)
40gb 7200 ata133
48xcdrom, 4x2x24x cdrw :<
Sony trinitron multiscan 20sfII