AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th December, 2001, 05:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Temfate

Tyan S2460

I've been lurking here for awhile. Finally upgrading my K6/2-500... I've seen on Pricewatch the Tyan S2460 board saying it comes with Athlon XP processors; but after researching this board for awhile it looks like it only supports MP CPU's... Anyone have a clue what the truth is?? Thanks,

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th December, 2001, 02:02 AM

Well since no one has replied I take it that nobody knows; guess I'll just have to find out...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th December, 2001, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Temfate
Well since no one has replied I take it that nobody knows; guess I'll just have to find out...
Welcome.

And probably no one here knows so that's why no post.

Just to let you know that we do look and not ignore
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 20th December, 2001, 06:02 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Of late, I'm reading that even though Athlon XP's will run in dual-processor(SMP) configuration, mainboards for MP's will "reject" XP's--because they're not MP's. Dunno if this particular Tyan board has this particular feature, sorry. But I wouldn't buy two XP's for ANY SMP mainboard before I was SURE that the mobo would accept them as "MP's," nudge nudge, wink wink.
Old 21st December, 2001, 07:25 AM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

You can use either athlon MPs or regular athlons but not XPs. Sometimes durons will work but why would you want to do that. Currently my friend is using regular 1.4 athlons in his 2 dualie boxes and they run excelent. You can even run 2 processors of different speeds as long as they have the same bus speed. I tried this very thing out on my buddies system using a 1.33 and a 1.4 athlon and it works without a hitch. For some odd reason both cpus run at 1.4; possibly due to there unlocked multipliers though they should run at different speeds. Overclocking is dificult with a dualie setup like this but it can be done with H-Odas Soft FSB by selecting pll chip ICS 9248-64. I havn't tried overclocking the board but I have heard it has been done so I'll give it a try.

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com
Old 21st December, 2001, 07:30 PM

MP,XP and Durons Work

I run a dual duron 1.1 mhz on the tyan tiger 2460 and it works great. The Athlon XP and MP chips work fine on the 2460 MP chipset; however on the newer MPX chipset the XP chips WILL not work because the bios detects the type of processor and if not MP will disable the other processor and you will only run in single mode.

On the 2460 MP, their have been some issues regarding Crucial memory and XP processors not working correctly, but a lot of people reports no problems with the XP processors on the 2460 MP with Crucial memory.

The lastest revision of the Tyan Tiger 2460 allow a little more overclocking potential due to revision 1.03. The chipset is a ICS 9248-153.

The 2 best sites for dual processing is: www.2cpu.com and www.amdmb.com.

Bigraz
Old 22nd December, 2001, 06:03 AM

Problems so far..... Darn...

Hey thanks for the responses; I went ahead and purchased the board with a single XP 1600+ for now as well as 2x256 Meg ECC Reg pc2100... Now when I tried to boot it for the first time it wouldn't come up or do anything at all; the fans come on (Motherboard fan ports) but nothing else. I removed everything including memory and video card but still not even the BIOS beep codes! The internal speaker does however make some noise; sortta like a 60-cycle humm but really soft. At this point I don't know what's wrong. Thinking it's most likely the board or the CPU was crushed by the heat sink and how they shipped it. Any ideas?! Thanks,

Old 28th December, 2001, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up

Hi, I have 2 S2460's with 2x 1800XP & 2x 1900XP's runing no problem

OC it with CPUFSB [138FSB only] but it all helps hey with H.Oda!'s WPCREDIT i get sandra mem score of 1075/1095

HTH
Got a problem with your PC
Have a look @ my forums
Old 11th January, 2002, 09:37 PM

Well it ends up it was just a crushed core; now that I have 2 new XP1600+'s installed everything works great! And I must say it's fast as anything; much better at multi-tasking than I ever thought possible running Microsoft! And on top of that; there's both folding!

Old 27th January, 2002, 02:20 PM

Is it true that the board will only run w 2 cpu's in it?

Note: Temfate,, I'm close to Univ & Dry Creek, You? Thanks...
Old 27th January, 2002, 06:49 PM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

You can use either 1 or 2 CPUs in the board. A friend of mine is running his that way since he chipped the other CPU. For a while he was even running 2 CPUs of different speed.

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com
Old 27th January, 2002, 07:44 PM

What is folding, please? Thanks.