AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th September, 2003, 05:24 AM

NF7-S Corrupt Bios chip-need help

My MB with bios 18 just died, it wont boot at all, both lights are on, and the problem turns out to be the bios chip. I swapped it with the Epox 8RDA+ and it works, except I had to call M$ to activate XP.
I thought I was gonna do a hot swap in DOS but it didnt work, I get an error
Quote:
the program file's part number does not match with your system
If I hot swap the Epox chip (with power on) with the Abit chip, it will boot and I can even access the bios menu. This is only possible if I reboot with the reset key. If I power down and reboot, the system wont boot.
I was then able to update to bios 17 under windows using Abit Soft Menu program but the system wont boot afer this bios update, same problem.. Do you think this chip is really bad and sending it to be reprogrammed is a waste of time. What else can I do......????[
Old 8th September, 2003, 09:10 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Some of the places that offer reprogramming can also provide replacement chips. This assumes that the problem is actually with the BIOS chip and not something else.

There may be differences between the 8RDA+ and NF7-S board that means that the power up code from cold is different. It'd generally better to do hotswap with the same type of board to avoid any potential problems.
Old 8th September, 2003, 10:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to mental

http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=156_157
ASUS p4c800 283FSB p4 2.4 @ 3.4gighz 1.65vcore
2x512 OCZ 4000 2.5/4/4/7 2.85 volts 4/5 ratio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2003, 04:59 AM

I managed to flash it with a boot disk.....by typing a: awdflash /tiny nameofnewbios.bin you can avoid that error message, but still it wont post.
I have called Abit and they say they dont reprogram a bios chip I will have to rma the whole board. Nice thinking. This is just insane. I bought another chip from excaliber but Abit will have to pay for this DEAD thing. Epox has sent me reprogrammed chips in the past.....I am not happy. I am sick of this NForce bios crap.
Old 10th September, 2003, 02:42 PM

Cool bios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata2974
I managed to flash it with a boot disk.....by typing a: awdflash /tiny nameofnewbios.bin you can avoid that error message, but still it wont post.
I have called Abit and they say they dont reprogram a bios chip I will have to rma the whole board. Nice thinking. This is just insane. I bought another chip from excaliber but Abit will have to pay for this DEAD thing. Epox has sent me reprogrammed chips in the past.....I am not happy. I am sick of this NForce bios crap.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

two different boards, two different chips. i am not surprised.

when i got my NF7, i just got the extra bios chip, just in case. the only time i had to use the extra chip was becasue of my insane clocking tryouts.

general rule of thumb, even if you get the chips flashed on a different board (by different, i mean different, Epox>Abit) with the right bios, there is a good possibility is will not work anyway.

each company has different policies. frankly, for the small inconvienence of changing a bios chip should things go south, i find the Abit to perform at the head of the class, paying at the time an extra $5 for a second chip was chicken feed, and NO WAITING when you stuff your bios. it takes me like less than a minute to pull, replace, restart.

hopefully you will get it all worked out.

baldy