AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st December, 2001, 04:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Chipsets

Quick question. I am planning on buying a new board shortly and I am debating between a couple boards with different chipsets. One has the VIA KT266A Chipset and the other has the Ali AliMagik1 Chipset. Does anybody know of a review or maybe could tell me from personal experience if there is a major difference between the two or if I could just get the board that is a bit less expensive that has the KT266A chipset? If there are any major differeneces, then please let me know. The boards that I am debating between are listed below. If you know anything about the boards that I am considering, then please give me your input. I am open to any suggestions for a different board than what I have listed or for one that I do have listed. Please let me know what board I should get for I take every purchase that I make for my computer system very seriously and I do much research before-hand. Thanks alot!!
Old 31st December, 2001, 07:28 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

KT266A is currently the top DDR chipset. No questions asked. Lots of people like the Epox 8KHA+, fireball among them. Not a bad price either, <$110. In the extrememly low price range, that ECS board that supports SDRAM and DDR is supposed to kick butt too.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2001, 07:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The original version of the ALi Magik1 chipset must be avoided. The B and C Steppings are said to work fine. Nonetheless, the Via KT266A chipset is the best, as of now.

I don't care to OC any more, so the ECS K7VTA3 will prob'ly be my KT266A mainboard choice. Personally, I'll never buy another Soyo.
Old 31st December, 2001, 07:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

y won't you ever buy another soyo, previous problems??
Old 31st December, 2001, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff

The ECS K7s5a is a fine board also, its the sis735 chipset and spanks the ALI magki1
Old 31st December, 2001, 11:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Why not another Soyo? The first one I had developed a kind of scorch mark on its rear side. It was a cross between a cold solder joint and a scorch mark, about 1" square. This killed the mainboard, btw.

The other had two SIMM slots that weren't identical. And two DIMM slots that were not identical. Two identical SIMMS, side by side were each a different height, and one of them couldn't be made to seat in the slot correctly. Same with the DIMMS. This made the mobo non-functional.
Old 1st January, 2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

How long ago was this....cuz it sounds to me like those are rather older boards that you are talking about....don't judge a company's current rating based on past performance. That would be like saying that the Radeon graphics board is a bad board simply because what ATI came out with in the past was crap....the Soyo Dragon board has gotten great reviews thus far, although I don't think I am goin to get that one....I have narrowed my decision to the following 3: the ECS K7VTA3, the Shuttle AK32, and the Epox 8KHA+. I have been leaning strongly towards the ECS board simply because it is a really good board, yet it is also rather cheap. The prices are as follows: The ECS board is about $70 and the Epox and Shuttle boards are about $100. Let me know what you guys think I should get, based on the fact that I am going to be getting the Athlon XP 1600 with whichever board I get. Thanks alot for your assistance everyone.
Old 2nd January, 2002, 03:25 AM

Personally, I look forward to boards based off the SIS745 chipset as thier IO performance is fantastic, with a good all around performance as well, with no VIA problems to worry about. Should also be very inexpensive as well.
Old 2nd January, 2002, 02:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Perhaps comparing Soyo's mainboards of today with the one's they built ~2 years ago is unfair. So what? I bought a lemon from Abit 3 years ago. I won't buy another Abit or Soyo. The punishment fits these manufacturer's crimes, IMHO.
Old 4th January, 2002, 04:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to valnar

How can anything VIA be considered the top pick, regardless of performance?

Not trolling (well, not really), but seriously. Especially with all the crap about the SB Live and PCI bus these days.

I'd say wait for the SIS735 boards, or go Intel.

Robert
Old 4th January, 2002, 11:48 AM
Banned

What do you mean wait for the SIS735 boards?? Just in case u don't know, they are already out and they are rather inexpensive....also, why do you say that about VIA....you can't just say something then not back up what you say....many reviewers say that the VIA KT266A chipset is one of, if not THE, best chipsets out there right now....just curious as to why you feel that way about it, please let me know if there is something I haven't heard of, thanks....Also, I won't be gettin an intel board at all simply because I AM goin with the top-of-the-line CPU--AMD Athlon XP and nothing will change my mind bout that....also, why are u sooooo strung on the SIS735 chipset??
Old 4th January, 2002, 12:44 PM

Just look around and read. You'll find plenty of complaints about the VIA chipsets. Are you telling me you haven't heard about the PCI bus problem recently?

And as for formal reviews of motherboards, chipsets, etc. I never believe anything they say. When was the last time you read a formal review of somebody bashing a motherboard because of compatibility problems? If they did that, they would never get another board from the MFG to test.

-Robert
Old 4th January, 2002, 09:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to digemz Send a message via AIM to digemz

Via's PCI Bus problem

There is an update available for Via's PCI Bus problem but i was quite disturbed to find out about this as well....

I also updated my ASPI drivers which seemed to give my 'puter a lil pep finally... i have a 120 gig drive and three IDE Optical drives... and now when i pull up Windows Explorer the drives seem to load faster than they did before...
SB Audigy Gamer
120g WD ATA-100, 7200 rpm, 2mb cache
**** I have a second 120g HD **************
**** same specs for sale.. make an offer ******
2x128mb Ocz PC-166 runnin' @143mhz fastest 5,2,2 cas(?)
3com Vsp One-way Cable Modem
Aopen 56k modem
Yamaha 24x10x40 CdRw
LG(?) Combo Dvd - CdRw 12x(Dvd) 8x4x32 (CdRw)
Old a$$ Creative Pc-Dvd 2x (no xtra card)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2002, 10:12 PM

I'm glad the new VIA patch helps things out, but it doesn't fix the problem. A software fix to a hardware problem is never really a fix - just a workaround. The hardware is still fubar.

Robert
Old 5th January, 2002, 07:37 AM

KT all the way

I was just at reading Tom's report on KT266A and nVidia's nForce. Very interesting but also sobering. I had read another earlier article on this KT266A chipset combined with DDR ram performance and thats why I bought this chipset. I knew that it beat the Ali Majik pretty well but what about the nForce? Basically, the KT266A looked much better than nVidia's entry, in the OpenGl and D3D game demos and mpeg4 but then the nforce boards were slightly ahead of them in Sysmark benchmarks.

The Soltek and Soyo mainboards with Epox just behind were best rated, the board I bought for my kid's system was the MSIK7T Pro2 and while it held its own, it certainly wasn't at the top of the performance chart very often, but so far it has been running well.

Oh, thanks for making me paranoid about the damn fan failing, I had to go upstairs to see if it was off now(and i'm sure in the future too.)

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....
Old 11th January, 2002, 08:57 PM
Banned

Thanks all for your input and a special thanks to those who mentioned the ECS K7S5A. I have read just about every review on it and it appears to be a very good choice since I will not be doing any overclocking any time soon. I went ahead and made the purchase today. I ordered the ECS K7S5A with the AMD Athlon XP 1600+ and an extra Micron 256MB PC133 chip added onto the one that I already have. So, I will post a reply on here shortly after I get it to let you guys know how it goes.....thanks, again for all of your help....also, if you wanna take a look at the best review site out there as well as the ECS review that made up my mind, check this link out, ttyl

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...5a/default.asp

Old 11th January, 2002, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by K6-III
Personally, I look forward to boards based off the SIS745 chipset as thier IO performance is fantastic, with a good all around performance as well, with no VIA problems to worry about. Should also be very inexpensive as well.
ME TOO!!
Old 12th January, 2002, 02:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I dunno the details about this PCI bug with Via chipsets. I've avoided Via since after the K6-2 days, and this latest PCI problem makes me re-think my KT266A plan. Mebbe I'll just update the BIOS(gulp! AMI BIOS flash unsettles me)of the K7S5A and go Palomino.

It's always bally something!!
Old 12th January, 2002, 04:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Hey CNUCompGuy,

Did you check out the ECS K7S5A thread over at amdmb.com? If you ordered the mobo after reading that thread, you're a brave man. But then again, I ordered it and I'm not that brave... just like to prove others wrong. Anyway, I'm sure you'll love this board. It's cheap and it works and it works really really well. How's that for 3rd grade English? Anyway, I hope your video card isn't too old.

Mook

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 12th January, 2002, 04:07 PM
Banned

well, interesting review mookydooky, but that was done way back in august before the board even came out, the one that I posted was done about a month ago after they did a BIOS update and made a new revision since the original board that they sent to reviewers....also, in reference to ur video card question, I have an ATI Radeon 32MB DDR, which should work.....and if it doesn't then I also have an ATI XPert 2000 Pro 32MB card that I can use, but it probably won't matter too much, cuz I will be gettin the ATI Radeon 8500 shortly anyways, but thx for postin that site, it's pretty nice....I ordered the boad and CPU combo already and I will be gettin it on Monday, so I will let u guys know what I think of it....so far it has been rated the top performer of the most recent boards (cost-wise), so far, yet it isn't the best board for overclockers to get, yet, but they are comin out with another BIOS revision soon that should change all that....supposedly the new BIOS revision comin up will allow all possible overclocks that aren't already allowed, plus it will change the steps at which u can overclock the bus from what they have now--crap, lol--to 1 mhz steps rangin from 100mhz up to 226mhz, but we'll see if there's any truth to that shortly....thx, again for ur input all, ttyl