AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2005, 05:42 AM

Best Memory for A8N-SLI/A64 X2 4400+

Yeah I know, Where the hell did I disappear to this time Well after selling the first house and buying again, I'm all moved in with one MAJOR issue......In trying to be a good father in law my wifes dad decided he was going to carry my tower up the stairs. Tripped, and dropped the setup down a full flight of stairs to a tile floor below. I puked, threw a raging fit and moved on. The good news......IT's "NEW RIG TIME"!

I'm ordering the A8N-SLI with a DC 4400+ and was curious about a few issues.

Is there a better more stable board out there as far as OC'ing goes? I'm not 100% settled on the need for SLI as I am also ordering a 7800 GTX for it. The board will also carry a new Creative X-Fi Sound card and a set of 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 0.

What memory would be your choice for the above rig? I am open to other combos of MB and memory that will offer the same or better performance than the A8 if there is such a thing.

Thanks for the help guys! Sorry for what may be dumb questions. I have been out of the loop for a little longer than I wanted and don't want to make a mistake when I drop $2500+ on just the tower

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to folding also within the next few weeks.

Thanks Again,

Bobby

By the way......The place looks great since I last left it

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2005, 06:42 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Any TCCD-based ram will do just fine for that board, if going with 4x512, however there is some interesting pc4000 1gb sticks out there as well(for 2gb total).

Uh, did you get the "get 2gb bit?". Whatever you do, 2gb is a must.
Old 1st September, 2005, 10:05 AM

The Asus SLI Premium is very very nice (the heatpipe works very well).
7800+ and an X-FI... damn now I'm jellous

Ram... AMD Zone did a comparison of 2GB sticks and the PC4000 kit from Crucial max'd at 250 (which is its default setting).
Corsair's 2GB kit hit close to 270 but at a 2t command rate.
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?o...tid=163&page=1

I had a DFI SLI-D and it was nice but it was very picky on what memory it would work with. Old BH5 Corsair XMS 3500's worked okay, TCCD based OCZ Plat R2's worked great, but it didn't like the Patriot stuff I'm currently using.

Note: The Patriot 2GB LLK kit doesn't go past 215 at the default settings of 2,3,2,5, 1t. and at 3,3,3,8,1t, 245 was just stable at 2.8v. It would probably go higher but I don't want to loose 5% by drop'n down to a 2t command rate.

Still haven't max'd the 4400 out though, it's runs cooler then my old FX-53 and just loves the Vapo Lightspeed

I'm hoping Corsair or OCZ will release a 2GB PC4400 or PC4800 kit... now that would be really nice

Oh and the Asus board is one of the few where you can use NV-Silencer 5 series coolers on a pair of vid cards. Just incase you deside to go with the Asus 7800 GTX TOP....
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2005, 03:48 PM

That's because it's SLI slots are further apart, allowing for better cooling.
My main gripe with SLI is this. You get a 7800. You get another 7800.
What then? How will you upgrade? Whatever you do, both cards will be useless, meaning you have to go back to square one. Sticking to one card means you'll still be able to play games just fine and not have upgrade problems. Unless a game specifically asks for SLI, which won't happen, I see it as a waste of time (and money) for all but the most hardcore gaming enthusiast with a fat wallet.
That's why once Crossfire gets off the ground, it could potnetially be better, as you won't need to throw away both cards when you upgrade, and different cards are compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 1st September, 2005, 04:43 PM

I agree. I wouldn't mind if it doubled the performance..but it doesn't, and it costs twice as much, it creates more heat, it requires more power, it takes up more space, it requires a more expensive motherboard. I consider it a major inconvenience and would never consider it myself unless I had unlimited money and didn't know how to spend it.

Corsair CX 750W | TP-Link Archer | MSI Z-390A Pro | ASUS GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix | Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200 | Corsair Carbide 275R | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO + 120GB Kingston SV300 | Sony BT Headphones/Anker BT Speaker| ASUS TUF Gaming VG24V | Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed | Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
Old 3rd September, 2005, 05:31 AM

Thanks guys. I haven't really made my mind up 100% yet other than the VC and sound card choices.

I also have decided that 2 gigs of ram is the way to go also. Leaning towards Corsair XMS TwinX3200 2225.

I'll be ordering by the middle of next week hopefully so feel free to add more if you like. I am going with an SLI board should I feel the need to upgrade at a later date.

Old 3rd September, 2005, 05:44 AM

Are you going with 4*512Mib sticks? If so, they'll be running in 2T timing I suppose. Might wanna consider the 2*1Gib sticks. Corsair XMS is good for that as well.

Corsair CX 750W | TP-Link Archer | MSI Z-390A Pro | ASUS GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix | Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200 | Corsair Carbide 275R | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO + 120GB Kingston SV300 | Sony BT Headphones/Anker BT Speaker| ASUS TUF Gaming VG24V | Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed | Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
Old 3rd September, 2005, 03:33 PM

YEP!! 2 1 Gig sticks

It's going to be either Corsair XMS or OCZ PC3700. A watercooling setup is in the near future also so the ability to OC without a bunch of worries is what I hope to achieve.