AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th March, 2007, 01:00 PM

Overclock software for Athlon 64x2

I know it's best to overclock using BIOS when possible, but I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with an Athlon 64x2 3800+ CPU, which will let me overclock by changing clock speed (even though I can't raise the multiplier). The problem is that I can't change the voltage through the BIOS. I know it can be changed through software, as I have found programs that let me change the voltage, but not the clock speed. There are also ones that let me change the multiplier, but that appears to be locked, just like in the BIOS. What I need is a program that will let me change the clock speed itself (not the multiplier). If it can also change the voltage, that would be convenient, but not a requirement. Does anyone know of a software that can do this, and runs on a 64 bit CPU/OS?

Also, I can't just raise the clock in BIOS and the voltage through software becuase the system becomes unstable if I raise the clock more than 5% without increasing the voltage, and I wouldn't be able to boot to get to the software. BTW my CPU runs reasonably cool (never more than 40C even after an hour or so of 100% use. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12th March, 2007, 01:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Check out this page in our files section. Linkage

What utilities have you tried?

How rude of me....Welcome to AOA...

Last edited by Samuknow; 12th March, 2007 at 01:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th March, 2007, 01:30 PM

Chrystal CPUID (cpumulti and vcore) http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en
clockgen (htt) http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php
pinmod (more vcore) Interactive AMD Athlon 64 Socket AM2 Pinmod guide
Old 12th March, 2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I've tried most of the programs mentioned with no luck. Crystalmark was the closest. That's the one I mentioned in my original post that enables me to change the voltage at the software level. It's overclock settings, however, are based on raising the multiplier only. My CPU will allow me to lower the multiplier, but not to increase it beyond the default.

The pinmod idea looks interesting, and I'm seriously considering trying that, as I could then raise my clock in the BIOS and overclock successfully. I do have a couple questions though...

1) Has anyone here that you know of tried it successfully?

2) How much should I increase the voltage? I ask because I don't want to mess with the pins on my CPU more than once and add to the risk. I think I'm currently at 1.2v. My clock is at 200mhz, and my multiplier is at 10. My CPU is an AM2 socket Athlon 64x2 3800+ (65w). The 1.3v setting looks the easiest to do physically. Will that be enough to get a decent overclock? Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 12th March, 2007, 05:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Volts should not exceed 1.6 from what I have read. You must have good cooling or even 1.6 could cause the death of you beloved CPU. Keep in mind some CPUs do worse with more volts. Mine seems to be happy at 1.475.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2007, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info. I just did the pin mod and, well, the fact that I'm typing this message from the moded machine should be some indication of how it went. I'm currently overclocking gradually and running OCCT to test for stability. So far I'm stable at an 8% overclock and climbing. I'll probably stop temporarily at 10% (I'm maxing at 50c after running OCCT) until I get better cooling. I will say that it was VERY difficult manipulating such small objects with my hands, some tweezers, and my mini-scissors from my swiss army knife. It requires 20/20 vision or a magnifying glass. Also the pins on the AM2 CPU are MUCH closer together than any other CPU I've ever seen. That said, I actually bent a couple pins by accident and had to move them back CAREFULLY to get the CPU to fit properly. In the future, I think I'll look into whether a motherboard has voltage settings in the BIOS before I purchase it.