AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th November, 2008, 10:45 AM
Warthog Launch Champion

media centre

i am going to be bulding a media centre for my sister and i need help with what to get for it i am going with athlon x2 6000 cpu and Asus M2N68-AM AM2+, NF7025, 2000MT, 2DDR2 mother board just need help whith how much ram hdd space tv tuner card and gfx chip looking in the mid price range nothing to expencive thats why we are going with amd fast for the price range

looking around $600-$800

IPhone 3G 16GB White

Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz EVGA 750i SLI FTW 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 2X2GB 9800GT Stock ZALMAN 9900LED CPU COOLER ASUS vw193t 19' lcd thermaltake 500w psu Windows 7 Rtm 7600
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ @2.1Ghz ASUS M2N 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 1X2GB 7300gt STOCK thermaltake 500W PSU Windows 7 Rtm 7600

Last edited by timmythemoder; 29th November, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2008, 05:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It would be good to provide some details of what you're wanting to do. There's a few questions here, that will hopefully help identify what you'd like.

What software are you looking to run for the media centre?
Presumably, as you're in Au, you're looking for a DVB-T card? (Digital terrestrial).
Are you looking for HD support? What kind of display are you going to connect the system to? (DVI? HDMI? or something else?)
Old 17th December, 2008, 12:52 AM
Warthog Launch Champion

Will be using svideo out put to begin with untill I get a lcd tv. It will be running vista ultimate and will be used to record HDTV
Old 17th December, 2008, 02:37 PM

I've heard some Au people recommending theDNTV Live! Dual Digital PCI.

I know that Windows Media Centre is pretty poor at supporting TV outside the US, although it does work.
Old 17th December, 2008, 03:59 PM

Can't be of much help in the tuner card department because I run my media center under linux so I don't have the same options with cards as Windows users.

For memory, I would run no less than 4GB with Vista Ult. My preference would be Corsair XMS series due to the longevity I have had from it. (Still have some of the original BH-5 and TCCD Corsair sticks running)

Hard disk space is a bit tricky because I don't know your sister and how much content she would save to disk or how many other apps she would install as well. A 1 hour show uses 1.6 - 1.7 GB on my rig.
I would think 250GB would be enough but more never hurts.

For the video card I would consider a ATI 4670
Old 17th December, 2008, 04:25 PM

My MythTV system (Linux) takes between 1.6GB to 2.6GB (averaging about 2GB) per hour of recording for a standard definition DVB-T stream. The reason for the differences is that it depends which channel is being recorded. Some channels are considered to be more 'premium', and thus have more bandwidth available, whereas other channels are less important to the broadcasters, and hence have less bandwidth.

It's also only got 1GB of RAM, which is plenty for a MythTV system - Vista want as much as you can feed it. Under Linux, an nVidia card with support for PureVideo 3 is a good choice, as nVidia's Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (VDPAU) seems to work very well, enough for an Atom 330 to happily play 1080i at about 10-20% CPU utilisation.

Thus, it's a good idea to ensure that whatever graphics card you get has support for whatever CODECs are in use. I think that for Australia, that's still only MPEG2, regardless of the defintion.