AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th December, 2002, 11:10 PM

Fan Power

I notice on my new case, Lian-Li PC 75, there are 4 80mm fans provided, 2 intake, 2 ex...

They both do not get there power from the mobo....
simply from a molex adapter...

I have 2 smart fans with the cool mod..

this is where i want to place them...
http://dansdata.com/images/pc7x/pc75fans440.jpg

However,......the leads that i am given with the smart fan...will not reach any of the connecters on the mobo...

What are my options?
Old 13th December, 2002, 12:25 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

Im a bit confused, do you want to attach the fans in the picture to your motherboard, because they have a molex connector on them, so they hook up to leads off the PSU, which means some cable rearanging is in order. if you are talking about an RPM sensor, or a three pin plug on a different fan, then I guess you would have to solder some wire between the fan and the connector to make the lead longer. there may be some kind of extention wire avalible though. also, you can use a 3 to 4 pin adapter and hook it up to a molex, or solder it directly to a molex conector (n/a to RPM sensor).
Old 13th December, 2002, 01:32 AM

I don't power any of my fans off the MoBo (molex only) but I do have 2 speed sensors hooked to the MoBo. 6-80mm & 1- 60mm all Deltas. can we say LOUD!

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2002, 08:51 AM

How do u hoock up so many fans? 6-80mm & 1- 60mm...

Where do u plug the sensor in?

Phat Pat:

I have a normal fan, TT smart fan...this pluggs into the motherboard....i dont want it to....i want it to plug into a molex....

With reference to the 3 to 4 pin....is this an adapter that will simply turn the end of the cable that plugs directly into the mobo...into a molex?
Old 13th December, 2002, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RaGz
How do u hoock up so many fans? 6-80mm & 1- 60mm...

Where do u plug the sensor in?

Phat Pat:

I have a normal fan, TT smart fan...this pluggs into the motherboard....i dont want it to....i want it to plug into a molex....

With reference to the 3 to 4 pin....is this an adapter that will simply turn the end of the cable that plugs directly into the mobo...into a molex?
I use a fanbus to power all my fans and lights (see pic below)

A good place to look if you want to build one is www.fanbus.com/home.html

My fanbus isen't just like the one shown, I have more places to hook up fans and 2 CC lights but that should give you a idea of how to hook up more fans. Just remember that you don't want to overload your PSU.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan Power-6_web.jpg  

2nd Rig, MSI K7N2 Delta 2, XP-3200 Barton, Global Win CK-38 w/60mm Delta, 9600XT, XP Pro

99% of all computer problems are sitting in front of the monitor But.... so is the Solution!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th December, 2002, 10:40 PM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

most 3 - 4 pin adapters that I have seen plug into the end of the 3 pin connector coming off the fan, and then run short wires to a female molex connector (what plugs into the PSU) and wires going from that to a male molex to allow another fan to be hooked onto it. like this one from frozenCPU:

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/prod...ail/cab-09.jpg

Others have no pass though like this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/prod...ail/cab-04.jpg

I think the best option would really be a fanbus, it allows things to be very neat, having everything hook up in one place. I use a variable speed fanbus, switching from 12v to a variable resistor (4-12v I think) works very well for me.