AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 4th January, 2003, 08:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

New fangled "custom" cases?

Anyone have a custom case that moves at least 100 cfm through itself? Please, no aluminum. My wallet is allergic to it, and I don't need a window.
However, do you need to spend more than a hundred smackers for a pre-cut aluminum case these days? And I'd prefer a case without a PS. With the stipulation that it ain't one that can cut yer hands to ribbons. Thanks for an answer!
Old 4th January, 2003, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Chieftec Aluminum Worstation case with window is like $79, one with no window is like $60, no powersupply, and you can get 50cfm sunon fans (4 total) and you get 100 cfm threw!
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2003, 06:23 PM

Yep, Chieftec/Antec SOHO file server cases are quite nice.

Another option is the HUGE Lite-On FS020, but that has quite a price tag. Never the less, it has one 120mm fan intake and two 120mm fans back fans.

Or, the Casetek CS-1018 cases are quite nice, like Chieftec/Antec but not quite, they are longer and have the HDD cages placed different. Still, they have : 2 80mm fan intake, 2 80mm fans blowout, 1 80mm side fan for vid card cooling, one top 80mm fan for exhaust, plus another 80mm fan on the side door, where the CPU is, but there is no intake grill for that one.
www.casetek.com.tw and have a look, I love these cases.
Old 9th January, 2003, 01:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for your replies, Spyder and Alexandrus. Aluminum cases have fallen in price, yay!

It seems a bit strange that the cases you mentioned come with pre-cut mount points for 80mm's. They're cute, but simply can't compete with a 120mm fan, for loudness and volume of air moved. WTH do they bother with 80mm's?

Some cases don't have enough real estate for 120's on the back and top. Yet 92mm's aren't a problem. The left case cover has enough room for a 240mm fan, in theory.
Old 9th January, 2003, 03:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

http://www.sunon.com.tw/product/ac/ac25489.htm
darn a little to big
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2003, 11:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ByteWipe

heh....

Main Rig: AMD XP 2000+ @ 1790Mhz (142Mhz FSB), Leadtek Winfast K7N415DA Mobo, Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD GF4 Ti4200 64MB @ 305/589, Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 RAM, 92GB hard drive space, Chieftec Scorpio TX-10BD Case, 2 Papst 80mm Case Fans (40cfm each), Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (20cfm). Win XP Pro. 45C idle, 54C full load. 3DMark2001SE: 11020

Server: AMD K6-2 500Mhz @ 550Mhz (110Mhz FSB), Gigabyte GA-5AX Mobo, S3 Trio 4MB, 224MB P100 RAM, stock CPU cooler. Win 2000 Pro
Old 10th January, 2003, 10:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Now that I think about it, situating fans that are on the left hand case cover is a bit tricky. Perhaps this is why 120mm's seem scarce in ready-cut cases!
Old 11th January, 2003, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Thank you for your replies, Spyder and Alexandrus. Aluminum cases have fallen in price, yay!

It seems a bit strange that the cases you mentioned come with pre-cut mount points for 80mm's. They're cute, but simply can't compete with a 120mm fan, for loudness and volume of air moved. WTH do they bother with 80mm's?

Some cases don't have enough real estate for 120's on the back and top. Yet 92mm's aren't a problem. The left case cover has enough room for a 240mm fan, in theory.
There are very few cases that can accomodate 120mm fans, the FS020 and Antec SL3700AMB are among the few.
You are right about the CFM, but generally speaking a larger fan generates more noise. The 120mm fans are quieter only because they have a very low RPM, but 80mm controlled fans aren't bad either. 80mm fans need less power than 120mm fans, so this may be another reason.

And afterall, how much CFM do you really need ? Just do some math/physics and calculate, it's easuer to decide on a case after you have the figures. Usually, there is a CFM that is the maximum a system can use, anything higher is just overkill because the air barely has enought time to absorb any heat.
Then if the CFM is too big and the air speed and static pressure are too high, you could even do more harm than good.
Old 11th January, 2003, 04:12 AM

This is the case I use as my main box. It's been a great case. All heavy metal with removeable mobo tray:

"This case "put us on the map" so to speak. This case is one of the first of its kind to feature "blowhole technology" with a 120mm fans blowing air out of the top of the case. Two 120mm fans blow cool air into the case near the PCI/AGP bus. Total airflow is approximately 220cfm. We have the quietest fans possible for less noise."

It's here for $99

:: Blizzard 360 Case - Scratch & Dent for $59!! Not available right now, just have to keep checking.
Attached Images

ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 13th January, 2003, 01:23 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks, Uncle Bob! One could expect filters on the intake fans-- but one could expect too dang much! Hmm. Dunno if I need 220 cfm. I'd be tempted to OC an AMD rig if I had slightly more than twice the airflow I now have in each of my boxen. It may be difficult to understand, I simply got burned out after watching MBM like a hawk for three years. It definitely detracted from my PC enjoyment.

Thank you all for the information!
Old 13th January, 2003, 03:08 AM

I bought filters for mine when I got it years ago. They are foam and are easily removeable and washed. I see there are wire mesh now that look rather nice.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 22nd January, 2003, 05:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This Blizzard isn't a bad looking case. My present Mid's are more plain Jane than this one and a small step toward stylishness isn't prohibited.

From the pic, I think someone may need reminding that balanced throughput is desirable. All the same, two ~70 cfm 120's in the left case cover, with commensurate exhaust fannage-- which can be achieved by one ~70 cfm 120mm in the "roof," a 50 cfm 80mm in the rear, plus the PS's fan, now that I think about it. In fact, a slight overpressure dictates a wussier 80mm.

But seriously, my Enlight 7237 is obviously a better case. Can I get a "you are so wrong, dude?"

It's all vanity. I think Shakespeare was right.
Old 23rd January, 2003, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
But seriously, my Enlight 7237 is obviously a better case. Can I get a "you are so wrong, dude?"
Ummm, errr, "You are so wrong, dood"? Howz that! (I actually don't believe that, but I'm willing to help you out any way you need!)

Actually, it's so much a matter of personal preference. I agree about the flow issue. For sometime I had an 80mm attached below the PSU and it did drop case temps a few degrees. Now that I use old man aqua, I'm just using the three 120's and the case is quite cool.

Old 23rd January, 2003, 11:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks for the pointer to the Blizzard, Uncle Bob. I was trying to indicate that the Enlight 7237 is a cow pie of the foulest odor. My Enlight 7237 case bites. And hard!